Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You can go to Mars. But you won't be able to come back to Earth

Blue Moon

63 users have voted

1. 1. Would you go to Mars, but only if you never returned to Earth?

• Yes
    • No

Ok, I don't know many of you have heard, but there is a company that is a taking in requests for people to go to mars. Sounds cool, right? You will be the first human on Earth. But there is one catch. Once you go there, you can never return to Earth. 

If you decide to send in an application and is chosen to go, you will get training and will leave in 2022.

Now, I am wondering how many of you guys would go and wouldn't go. I don't think I would want to go. I would miss Earth and it's people too much. Also, I don't think there are ponies on Mars.

Tell me what you think below and vote above.

• Brohoof 2

Why exactly would you want to permanently move to an empty red rock? Unless that's where ponies are, I have zero interest in going to Mars :3

• Brohoof 14

I would go. A new planet, are you kidding me!? Do you know how EXCITING that would be? Ahh it sounds like paradise already! I mean maybe it can get lonely... but if they somehow were able to make it so that you could contact people back on earth via internet (the ISS has super slow connection, but it's there!) then it wouldn't be so bad. Plus, it would give me some time to explore the things that I never felt like I had time to do.

Maybe it's childish of me, but I think it's exciting just because mars is a different PLANET. Not just a country, but a whole freaking new planet for humans!! So much opportunity. I'd move there now, but I would enjoy myself even more if I waited a bit and became some sort of scientist that would have a field day over there. Maybe Mars colony would benefit from having a neuroscientist on the soil!

edit: I left a sentence unfinished.

Edited by D1SC0RD
  • Brohoof 2

I would go. A new planet, are you kidding me!? Do you know how EXCITING that would be? Ahh it sounds like paradise already! I mean maybe it can get lonely... but if they somehow were able to make it so that you could contact people back on earth via internet (the ISS has super slow connection, but it's there!) then it wouldn't be so bad. Plus, it would give me some time to explore the things that I never felt like I had time to do.

Maybe it's childish of me, but I think it's exciting just because mars is a different PLANET. Not just a country, but a whole freaking new planet for humans!! So much opportunity. I'd move there now, but I would enjoy myself even more if I waited a bit and became some sort of scientist that would have a field day over there. Maybe Mars colony would benefit from having a neuroscientist on the soil!

edit: I left a sentence unfinished.

It takes 15 minuets for data sent from mars to reach earth. So that means it would take at least 30 minuets to load anything on the internet if you were on mars also there is no air and you would die there, alone. I would go if I could come back but not on a 1 way trip I like ponies and chocolate far too much to die alone on a dusty wasteland planet.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to go to Mars. A new planet is super exciting. I love astronomy, so being on another planet would be crazy awesome.

Also, I would leave everything behind, it'd be extremely dangerous, and I wouldn't have to deal with people on Earth anymore. Seems extremely worth it to me. I'd love to apply, but sadly I can't because my mind isn't in the best shape. Everything else I meet the requirements.

• Brohoof 2

It takes 15 minuets for data sent from mars to reach earth. So that means it would take at least 30 minuets to load anything on the internet if you were on mars also there is no air and you would die there, alone. I would go if I could come back but not on a 1 way trip I like ponies and chocolate far too much to die alone on a dusty wasteland planet.

Earth is pretty nice, yeah. I have all I want over here, but sometimes people want to be a part of something greater than themselves. I think being one of the first to live on mars would be just that; the start of a new beginning. I would be willing to make some sacrifices if it meant exploring the galaxy. Mars is the first step toward that, so you can bet that I am willing!

• Brohoof 1

I enjoy beautiful sights of mountains, valleys, and other such natural things. I've always been fascinated by the idea of mankind going beyond the limits of the Earth. I prefer working alone. And I've a soft spot for astronomy.

But I wouldn't go.

As much as I'd love to go to Mars, the fact that I'd never be able to go back seals the deal for me. I wouldn't be able to leave everyone and everything behind, and I doubt they'd let me. Not to mention, I feel my skills are better suited for medical research here at home. So unless NASA catches a picture of ponies on Mars, I'm content to just infinitely respect the brave souls who can make the sacrifice.

• Brohoof 1

Earth is pretty nice, yeah. I have all I want over here, but sometimes people want to be a part of something greater than themselves. I think being one of the first to live on mars would be just that; the start of a new beginning. I would be willing to make some sacrifices if it meant exploring the galaxy. Mars is the first step toward that, so you can bet that I am willing!

Thats a nice way of looking at it I would probably go if I was going with a group of people and the goal was to set up a colony on mars or something that would be pretty cool.

• Brohoof 1

Wait, when you say go to Mars, has it already been colonized, like Total Recall and DOOM, or is it still barren and lifeless? In any case, no thank you. Something is bound to go horribly wrong in the case of the former.

• Brohoof 1

Mars may be my most favouritest planet, but I'd really rather not go. I mean, even if I could take the people I cared about with me, it would be too different, and I'd miss too many things.

Besides, there is no turtles on Mars.

No. Turtles.

Soooooooo, yeah. No turtles=No Tual.

• Brohoof 2

Wait, when you say go to Mars, has it already been colonized, like Total Recall and DOOM, or is it still barren and lifeless? In any case, no thank you. Something is bound to go horribly wrong in the case of the former.

They are setting up a colony-like thingy on Mars. They will be training the people who want to go to live and cope in small and tight enviorments. I believe there will be other people as well.

I'd go only because I think this might be the only hope for our species. We need to focus on a new challenge and find a way to spread ourselves least we self-destruct.

I won't lie, the idea of being a pioneer is. . . compelling. To make ones mark on history by doing something worth doing that doesn't involve the deaths of others.

I'm a believer in the Monkey-sphere so I really do think that this will save us.

I'd love to go to the red planet! 

Would be an awesome experience. 

I've only ever seen Mars through a Telescope but to actually go there would be breathtaking.

While I certainly admire and respect the people who would go, me personally, I'm not gonna go for it.  Who knows what it's going to take to live there?  Yes we can research and plan and all that, but until you actually do it, you're never really going to know.  Most likely life is going to be very harsh and austere, because it would take years to set up the infrastructure that we take for granted here on earth.  And i personally couldn't take being cut off from my family for so long. 

So.. great idea, support people who do it, but I'm not going.

I would rather stay on this beautiful planted even though its no equestria it is still one of the most beautiful worlds I have ever seen. the ancient wonders such as the pyramids, Hagia Sophia, Ankor wat  and the taj mahel and statue of liberty are the beautiful things I see here. This planet is a fertile planet still rich with beauty lol.

I am not too sure about going to Mars and leaving Earth behind...  However there are two things that might change my mind about going...  Equestria ponies and Prothean ruins...  If there are something like Prothean ruins that hides Dark Energy tech that can manipulate Mass Effect fields for FTL travel, then I would go.

Otherwise, nope.

• Brohoof 1

No way I would go. Well at least not as long as I am under 60 years old. I would not go because I don't want to leave friends and family behind. I would be scared that technology and such would not work. What if some air thingy broke and I could not fix it myself? Nah. It's not something I would do. Maybe when I am like 60+ though, as I said

Edited by Jokuc

Hmmm.....Mars you say. It would be cool to be one of the first people on mars and also the first brony on mars, but never returning to earth also seems really really crappy. "One small step for man, one giant leap for bronykind." I guess it wouldn't be terrible if I could still access the internet. Then there's the fact that all the red dirt and skies would eventually get really boring and the fact that malfunctions could happen and I could die from the pressure change, but I'm not sure on this if the pressure change could kill you. Plus having to wear an environmental suit everywhere but within a tiny compound would get annoying. But then there is the fact that Mars is basically untouched by man, which I find cool. But then again how good would the food be, considering most of it would be crappy astronaut food till a self-sustaining habitable settlement could be established and the chance of a food shortage if a resupply launch goes wrong. Then there is the fact of the very limited number of people I would have to live with and finding a girlfriend/wife because I would have a very limited number of options. This is a tough one. I think I might go just because of the exploration aspect of it. 

It's a kinda nasty deal that. Not only can't you come back, but when you start training you train in a small group. If *anyone* in that group bails for any reason you have to start the training over again. And once you leave for Mars, you are going to be in a confined space with that small group of people for the rest of your life.

I'm not seeing it, myself.

No thanks, viewing Mars on Google Earth while relaxing in a comfortable environment with everything that I have recognized on this planet is good enough.

There was a story earlier this year about them sending a man and woman up together, and that the trip would probably take around 500 days.

All the scientists chimed in on problems with food, water, space, etc.

And I'm thinking, "500 days with one woman and one man, together in a capsule? Screw the food: they'll never get to see Mars. They will have gouged each other's eyes out by then..."