Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Pony D&D, anyone? [redux]

Card Shark

Hey! I'm thinking that perhaps a changeling ranger with two weapon fighting would be awesome! Still got some spells if he wants and... wait would i be able to switch mid-fight to a bow if needed? Also... the ranger spells/feats that grant camouflage to the changelings are awesome! They fit them very well! I like animal companions too... THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME! I HAS DECIDED!

Hey! I'm thinking that perhaps a changeling ranger with two weapon fighting would be awesome! Still got some spells if he wants and... wait would i be able to switch mid-fight to a bow if needed? Also... the ranger spells/feats that grant camouflage to the changelings are awesome! They fit them very well! I like animal companions too... THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME! I HAS DECIDED!

Sounds fun, and yes you can switch between weapons mid-fight. I believe sheathing a weapon and then drawing a new one would take up an entire round, though there are feats that help with that.

(edited)

If anybody is interested in playing Minotaurs, I can easily make rules for it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I can't believe I didn't think of that before. If anyone wants to run one go for it. Talk to Alex and he'll help with that.

Sounds fun, and yes you can switch between weapons mid-fight. I believ8e sheathing a weapon and then drawing a new one would take up an entire round, though there are feats that help with that.

Takes a standard action to switch weapons, in effectively two action turns. With quick draw, it is an immediate action, meaning it can be used with no turn penalty. Also keep in mind, if you do this in close combat, it can provoke an attack of opportunity. Combat: chapter 9 for more info. ^_^ Edited by Card Shark

I can't believe I didn't think of that before. If anyone wants to run one go for it. Talk to Alex and he'll help with that.

Takes a standard action to switch weapons, in effectively two action turns. With quick draw, it is an immediate action, meaning it can be used with no turn penalty. Also keep in mind, if you do this in close combat, it can provoke an attack of opportunity. Combat: chapter 9 for more info. happy.png

According to the .pdf you provided:

Move Action: A move action allows you to move your speed or

perform an action that takes a similar amount of time. You can move

your speed, climb one-quarter of your speed, draw or stow

a weapon

Thus, normally, stowing your first weapon and drawing the second would be two move actions. A standard action may be used to do anything that could be done in a move action, so using both the standard action and the move action for a round would be necessary, though by second level every class can draw as part of a normal movement.

Unless there's a special rule about switching weapons that's different from just drawing one and sheathing the other.

If anybody is interested in playing Minotaurs, I can easily make rules for it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Minotaurs are already a race, correct? Meaning they would already have rules in one of the d&d books? EDIT:My bad, they are not. Ignore this post.

Edited by Brosparkles

Minotaurs are already a race, correct? Meaning they would already have rules in one of the d&d books?

Yes, but at the same time no, absolutely not. Minotaurs in the monster manual are way too powerful. Plus they have a level adjustment, which tends to complicate things. If this were 4.0, it would be a different story, but then, if this were 4.0, I wouldn't be here.

• Brohoof 1

So, have we decided what to use for unicorn? Gnome, elf, or something else? Just so I know how to change stats and such. Also, do they get the ability to levitate objects like is commonly seen within the show?

Yea why not? I mean... thats not too much right? Heaby objects might need greater spells or strength to pull and stuff. And btw i think elf suits them best but gnome has the int buff right? They are still ponies or what? Or are we anthro?

I'm a little busy with a few other campaigns right now, but may I suggest that you use the Pony Tales system instead of DnD? I find it easier to do a pony campaign with that system than with DnD. 

Player's Handbook:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LaHX_aeWrw5643u040zqovePyesWI5KAXgkoHEqDazQ/edit?pli=1

Ponyhandler's Guide (DM's guide) :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10amk_prG_vU_wkGN3cS6aaKMZi_9KPHjO4U7Z9Hh5d4/edit

(edited)

@Alex Kennedy

like i dont know what to put for most of the blanks in the character sheet at all

Did you read the player's handbook? Because it should explain everything. If it helps, right down all the important details for your class, then see where those things fit in on the character sheet. I'm not sure what else I can do to help you, aside from going through every item on the sheet.

Edited by Alex Kennedy
  • Brohoof 1

One of these days... (because right now i cant) i need to talk about what makes a ranger class special. How much i should push each stat and stuff. So... one of these days imma talk with you preferably @@Alex Kennedy, and we're gonna fix the sheet togother. Until then i am going to make my char's backstory.

(edited)

@Alex Kennedy

like i dont know what to put for most of the blanks in the character sheet at all

I think the Character Creation section on pg. 6 of the handbook is really all we need to focus on at the moment. It kind of makes you jump around pages a little bit, but it's pretty straightforward as long as you read every subsection carefully, grab whatever info you need from another chapter, then return to pg. 6 to see what you're supposed to do with that info.

...At least, it seems straightforward enough, but this is my first time rolling up a D&D sheet as well, so we shall see. If our DM returns my character sheet to me and says "DO IT OVER, NUMBNUTS," then I'll know for sure. img-1422261-1-tongue.png

Edited by Lowline

I think the Character Creation section on pg. 6 of the handbook is really all we need to focus on at the moment. It kind of makes you jump around pages a little bit, but it's pretty straightforward as long as you read every subsection carefully, grab whatever info you need from another chapter, then return to pg. 6 to see what you're supposed to do with that info.

...At least, it seems straightforward enough, but this is my first time rolling up a D&D sheet as well, so we shall see. If our DM returns my character sheet to me and says "DO IT OVER, NUMBNUTS," then I'll know for sure. img-1422261-1-tongue.png

@Alex Kennedy

Honestly, I'd already been playing for a long time before I ever laid eyes on the book (I learned by having my friend hammer it into my skull), so I don't really know for sure, but I'd say Lowline is probably right.

(edited)

Got a question for you, @Card Shark: You said that though pegasi will be based on halflings, their size will be considered medium, right? Does this mean ixnay on the size bonuses to AC, attack rolls and Hide checks since those are going off of halflings' small size?

Or are we just saying they're medium sized for the sake of maintaining their canonical size relative to other ponies?

Edited by Lowline
  • Brohoof 1

For the most part, yeah.  I've played enough to know how to fill them out without the book. but that sounds about right. Unless you are a magic user, it doesn't seem to mention spells in that section at all.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

According to the .pdf you provided:

Thus, normally, stowing your first weapon and drawing the second would be two move actions. A standard action may be used to do anything that could be done in a move action, so using both the standard action and the move action for a round would be necessary, though by second level every class can draw as part of a normal movement.

Unless there's a special rule about switching weapons that's different from just drawing one and sheathing the other.

Ok, way I see it, stowing and drawing done at the same time I consider one action. Also, I consider it a standard action because it's doing something, not moving somewhere, though it matters only in it's technicality. Good catch though.

Got a question for you, @Card Shark: You said that though pegasi will be based on halflings, their size will be considered medium, right? Does this mean ixnay on the size bonuses to AC, attack rolls and Hide checks since those are going off of halflings' small size?

Or are we just saying they're medium sized for the sake of maintaining their canonical size relative to other ponies?

Yes, they will lose everything they would get due to size. However in it's place, it can regain the bonuses while using clouds either hiding or during combat, though it would not work so well at ground level.

Also, where it is easy for most to use page 6, some people need a little nudge in the right direction. The first time making a character sheet is intimidating, but once you know what you're doing, it's cake.

I'm a little busy with a few other campaigns right now, but may I suggest that you use the Pony Tales system instead of DnD? I find it easier to do a pony campaign with that system than with DnD.

I looked through the material, and things seem a little broken to me. IMO, its just as easy to do it this way with the flexibility if 3.5, than memorize new material that makes things too easy. I do appreciate the thought very much though and thank you for showing us these (had no idea these existed.)

Minotaurs are already a race, correct? Meaning they would already have rules in one of the d&d books? EDIT:My bad, they are not. Ignore this post.

They are. They are in both the monster manual, and the dragonlance expansions in which they are redesigned AS a player race. I would need to find the info, but if anyone wants to run one, I will find the info.

So, have we decided what to use for unicorn? Gnome, elf, or something else? Just so I know how to change stats and such. Also, do they get the ability to levitate objects like is commonly seen within the show?

Ok, stat boost of elf but instead of the boost to dex, it will go to int, medium size, racial bonuses as elf without immunity to sleep to give at will mage hand. The bonuses to search/spot/listen and search for secret door apply due to unicorn's fascination with detail. Edited by Card Shark
  • Brohoof 2

Ok, stat boost of gnome, medium size, racial bonuses as elf without immunity to sleep to give at will mage hand. The bonuses to search/spot/listen and search for secret door apply due to unicorn's fascination with detail.

Do the racial weapon proficiencies apply?  (Longbow, shortbow, rapier, and longsword.)  At will mage hand seems good to use the levitation though.

Ok, stat boost of gnome, medium size, racial bonuses as elf without immunity to sleep to give at will mage hand. The bonuses to search/spot/listen and search for secret door apply due to unicorn's fascination with detail.

You know the stat boost for gnomes is +2 constitution, -2 strength, right? Because I don't think that works very well for unicorns. I originally suggested gnomes for their spell-like abilities, but gray elves have the most appropriate stat bonuses. Also:

They are. They are in both the monster manual, and the dragonlance expansions in which they are redesigned AS a player race. I would need to find the info, but if anyone wants to run one, I will find the info.

I don't know about the dragonlance minotaurs, but the ones in the monster manual would be way overpowered. Also they have a level adjustment, which makes things difficult. 

• Brohoof 1

You know the stat boost for gnomes is +2 constitution, -2 strength, right? Because I don't think that works very well for unicorns. I originally suggested gnomes for their spell-like abilities, but gray elves have the most appropriate stat bonuses. Also:

I don't know about the dragonlance minotaurs, but the ones in the monster manual would be way overpowered. Also they have a level adjustment, which makes things difficult.

Thanks for pointing it out, my mistake. Edited post for updated info.

They nerf the hell out of player minotaurs in those.

(edited)

I've read the dragonlance books before, but didn't know there were campaign rules for it. Interesting. Only ever worked with Minotaur in one adventure I made, there was a Minotaur enemy.(Along with changelings.)

Also, it isn't too late to change my specialization, is it? I'm going to drop evocation instead of necromancy.

I've got a character sheet made up, let me know if there are some house rules I missed, but I think i got it all. 

Character Sheet-http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=561149

Spellbook-https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MTlAhGwBXvD0GWYg6ddIht6rtJdvONELYvMTKkLfPQs/edit

Edited by Brosparkles
  • Brohoof 1