Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2013 NFL Draft

elbj

Round 1 of the NFL draft is tonight and I was wondering if there were any football bronies out there who were excited about their team's chances and who they might get this year.

I'm a Vikings fan and I know that they have a lot of positions that could use improving especially at Wide Receiver and Linebacker. From what I've heard the Vikings are hoping to get DT Sylvester Williams out of UNC to help out our D-Line. I'm liking this pick because the Vikings D-Line is getting old and it'd be great to have the "Williams Brothers" back again even if its a different set of Williams. The next pick is what worries me.

I really think getting a WR in the first round would be great, but its a deep draft so if they pass one up here its ok, too. What worries me is the Vikings are thinking about drafting Manti Te'o here, or even worse, moving up to get him. Teo's a good player but I don't think he's a first rounder, and I don't want him on the Vikings, too much baggage. However, the Vikings GM seems to have a Notre Dame fetish as he's  nearly 1/5 players drafted to the Vikings since he's been there have been from ND.

I've also heard the Vikings are looking to trade back their second 1st round pick for more picks later, I like this idea a lot better.

Me! I am a huge Bengals and Rams fan! (I root for sucky teams I know lol). The Rams could need a free safety and something to help Michael Brockers. The Rams are pretty close to being really good IMO. As for the Bengals the last two drafts have been pretty good actually. But again bad ownership haunts Cincy lol.

As a jets fan, I'm just too depressed about the whole Darelle Revis debacle to really think too much about the draft.  I dunno, they have a couple of first round picks this year, but... their draft track record is mediocre at best.

• Brohoof 1

Me! I am a huge Bengals and Rams fan! (I root for sucky teams I know lol). The Rams could need a free safety and something to help Michael Brockers. The Rams are pretty close to being really good IMO. As for the Bengals the last two drafts have been pretty good actually. But again bad ownership haunts Cincy lol.

Don't the Rams need a WR, too? They just lost Amendola to the Pats so Bradford needs a new go to guy. But your right they are right on the brink of being good, but they'll probably have to get even better if they want to make the playoffs in the West, the Seahawks and 49ers are looking great for next year. 

The Bengals used to be a sucky team, but they've made the playoffs back to back years so I wouldn't be too embarrassed about rooting for them anymore. I'm not familiar with Bengals history, what'd their owners do?

• Brohoof 1

I agree with everything you say. That one receiver from WVU if he's still available would be a good choice.

As for the Bengals. I'm glad they're making playoff appearances before so Mike Brown only cared about season ticket money and the fans got fed up with it. I still love them, now we need to add a couple more pieces and hopefully we can move up further into the playoffs. :)

As a jets fan, I'm just too depressed about the whole Darelle Revis debacle to really think too much about the draft.  I dunno, they have a couple of first round picks this year, but... their draft track record is mediocre at best.

Yikes, yea the Jets are a mess right now. They have so many holes since they tore it apart this off-season. Looks like a rebuilding year for them, I think they'll be getting some cap space now that Revis is gone so they might pick up a good Free Agent, but yea I feel you, the Vikings have been there before. Good luck.

I agree with everything you say. That one receiver from WVU if he's still available would be a good choice.

As for the Bengals. I'm glad they're making playoff appearances before so Mike Brown only cared about season ticket money and the fans got fed up with it. I still love them, now we need to add a couple more pieces and hopefully we can move up further into the playoffs. smile.png

Wow I hate when owners pull crap like that. But as long as they can keep most of that core group together, they should be playoff contenders for the next few years. Outside of adding a Safety I can't think of any glaring weaknesses they might just need time to grow. They're a pretty young team, but looks like they've got a bright future.

I've got Cordarelle Patterson going to the Jets at number thirteen -- they can shore up their secondary first with Rhodes but the Jets offense was very inept last year. Tavon Austin may be a lock for the Bills at number eight -- one of the fastest guys in the draft right now.

As for the Bengals. I'm glad they're making playoff appearances before so Mike Brown only cared about season ticket money and the fans got fed up with it. I still love them, now we need to add a couple more pieces and hopefully we can move up further into the playoffs. smile.png

Eric Reid or John Cyprien would be a good for the Bengals at number 21 -- preferably Reid though. They need a safety.

• Brohoof 1

@, I don't know if Tavon Austin is a lock to the Bills they need a QB and apparently the Ryan Nassib from Syracuse and a Bill's coach have a bit of history I think they might pick him with that 8th pick.

• Brohoof 1

@, I don't know if Tavon Austin is a lock to the Bills they need a QB and apparently the Ryan Nassib from Syracuse and a Bill's coach have a bit of history I think they might pick him with that 8th pick.

They do need a QB, but this year's QB class is mediocre. Geno Smith is the best by far and even he had a rather iffy year at West Virginia last season. The rest are not first rounders.

Next year's draft class is deep, though. If someone is smart enough to trade in for next year, they're putting themselves in good position -- Marquise Lee and terry Bridgewater to name a couple.

I agree, hey should we make make draft updates?

2nd Overall Pick: Jacksonville selects Luke Joeckel out of Texas A&M! :D

@John Mellenclop: Rock the draft indeed my friend /)

3rd Overall Pick: Oakland TRADED THIER PICK TO MIAMI

Miami selects Dion Jordan, OLB out of Oregon.

Edited by Sonicrules831
  • Brohoof 2

And this is why Oakland is unpredictable during draft day... they just traded with Miami for the 12th pick. And now they just got Dion Jordan out of it. Wow.

Colts getting tons of calls on their 24th spot. Maybe they'll trade down for more pics to fill out the stable?

Rock the draft, my little ponies!

If Desmond Trufant is available at number twenty four, they should probably take him. Trufant is NFL-ready with tremendous speed and size and can complement Vontae Davis perfectly. Considering they've had cast-offs playing in the secondary, they need to shore it up right here.

UPDATE: Oakland gets the 12th and 42nd overall picks from Miami after the trade-down process.

I agree with Gruden here (anyone on ESPN?). Jordan's a tremendous edge rusher but can get whiffed easily by multiple blockers. Being a 250 pound guy will probably do that to you.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Wow didn't expect a trade at the 3rd pick.

@,

While the QB class is mediocre I think Geno Smith padded his stats by throwing to Tayvon Austin on screens and slants. I'd put him behind Nassib. The Bills have few other needs and I don't think they need to take a WR in draft that is pretty deep at that position.

@@Sonicrules831,

I like the idea of draft updates

EDIT: I don't like the last pick by the Dolphins I think they could've waited a few more spots

Edited by Jble
  • Brohoof 1

If Desmond Trufant is available at number twenty four, they should probably take him. Trufant is NFL-ready with tremendous speed and size and can complement Vontae Davis perfectly. Considering they've had cast-offs playing in the secondary, they need to shore it up right here.

Agree 100%. Trufant is a very smart pick if he's available.

Grigson sent out his scouts to work overtime before the draft. It'll be interesting to see how his mind is working this year...

• Brohoof 1

Lane Johnson to Philly. Not a surprise -- Michael Vick is constantly under fire. They've needed this for a while now and this could screw over Arizona considering that the two other top tackles were taken already.

Agree 100%. Trufant is a very smart pick if he's available.

Grigson sent out his scouts to work overtime before the draft. It'll be interesting to see how his mind is working this year...

Options for Minnesota (pick before Indy): Linebacker, cornerback (to replace Antoine Winfield), or receiver (for losing Percy Harvin). They've got two picks currently. Think they might go with Trufant.

While the QB class is mediocre I think Geno Smith padded his stats by throwing to Tayvon Austin on screens and slants. I'd put him behind Nassib. The Bills have few other needs and I don't think they need to take a WR in draft that is pretty deep at that position.

Patterson and Austin are two of the most dynamic guys in the draft as I've said earlier -- one's extremely fast and the other's extremely crafty. Austin is a tremendous deep threat though his IQ is questionable... still, don't think Buffalo can pass him up at #8.

Lions pick is in. The other top OTs are off the board already and Stafford needed that extra help... now it's down to Milliner (secondary help) or someone like Ansah to help the d-line.

• Brohoof 2

Vikings need to get a Defensive Tackle, too. They over achieved last year thanks to AD, they have a few spots to take care of on defense as well as receiver.

The Lions picked Ansah?

Aaand the Lions go with Ansah at number five! Nice pick. Guy is the biggest jump in the draft for the past few months -- probably has the best athleticism out of anyone in the draft and can really get after the QB. Built a lot like Jason Pierre-Paul. It's eerie, too: both are raw and had relatively unknown football backgrounds.

Imagine a d-line of Suh, Ansah, and Fairley! I imagine that Doctor XFizzle is happy right now.

Browns go with Mingo. Guy is rather underweight at 241 pounds but has tremendous rush from the edge. Can play both 3-4 linebacker or 4-3 DE.

• Brohoof 2

6th Overall Pick: Cleveland Browns select Barkevlous Ming DE out of LSU!

@Alfonso: I bet so since he's a Detroit guy lol. Hopefully they have a better season this year.

It's a great pick for Cleveland: LSU is known to produce some hard-workers (and they're defensive minded); Mingo will succeed in the league.

Arizona at number seven: I think they'll go with Johnathan Cooper since the OTs are off the board, as I've said.

• Brohoof 1

The Lions D-Line was already stacked. as a Vikings fan, this worries me greatly. Ponder already struggles enough as it is. 

If Ansah is anything like JPP, the NFC North just got way tougher.

• Brohoof 2

Yep, got this one right. Cards got Johnathan Cooper.

On another note, it's sorta amusing to watch Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotulelei, and Dee Milliner keep dropping like this.

The Lions D-Line was already stacked. as a Vikings fan, this worries me greatly. Ponder already struggles enough as it is. 

If Ansah is anything like JPP, the NFC North just got way tougher.

Well actually, Avril and Vanden-Bosch left but I do agree: Suh, Fairley, and now Ansah are considerably scary.

I hope the Jets and Bills screw themselves over.

• Brohoof 2

BILLS ARE TRADING BACK TO RAMS! They're saying the Rams are moving up to get Tayvon Austin. I didn't catch the details but congrats to you @Sonicfan

• Brohoof 2