Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Beat Shock's Parkour and Freerunning Thread!

Beat Shock

I've searched all over the Forums for a thread like this, but I couldn't find one. (Mods please tell me if there is one already like this)

I'm starting this thread for people who do Parkour/Freerunning, people who are interested in it, or people who have no idea what it is and want to learn about it. This thread is for Parkour and Freerunning discussion, stories, and videos (post your Parkour/Freerunning videos here).

For people who do not know what Parkour and/or Freerunning is...

Parkour:

Parkour is basically getting from check point A to check point B as fast as possible without any transportation except for your body. This includes vaults, climbing, running, and jumping over obstacles in your environment.

Freerunning:

Freerunning is pretty much a "show-off" extension to Parkour, while adding unnecessary flips and tricks to make it look cooler. (ex: "jumping off a roof and rolling=Parkour" and "doing a backflip off a roof=Freerunning")

I'm only 15, but I've learned a lot of Parkour/Freerunning in the past years. At first I never taught anyone else because it made me feel unique, but now that I've met other people who are even more skilled than me, I've never been happier to help others learn!

Here's one of my videos, but I want to see some of yours if you make/have any!

Here's some epic channels you should check out:

Damien Walters: http://www.youtube.com/user/damienwalters

Jesse La Flair: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaFlairParkour

Ronnie Shalvis (I'm friends with him): http://www.youtube.com/user/Ronniestreetstunts

Tell me what you think!!! I'm excited to introduce people to this sport, as it has made my life so much better! img-1406441-1-biggrin.png

Edited by Beat Shock
  • Brohoof 4

I'd love to be able to do this, but unfortunately, I'm a bit too slow and *ahem* "massive" to do it properly. I'd probably just end up hurting myself. blush.png

That said, I do respect the people that can do this. It's got a beauty in and of itself. Some of the things freerunners can pull off are downright amazing; those stunts are awesome if pulled off correctly.

Not to mention, it's funny to watch people fail at doing it. tongue.png

ahhh this brings back good memories. My high school has a PK club and back when I was senior I was intent on loosing some weight before the end of the year. I was 210 lbs then so I decide to join PK club to loose the weight and man was that some tough training. I signed up in the 2nd semester of my senior year so it was winter then and we couldn't really go outside. Anyways, I remember how dumb I looked doing the training but I still had fun. I learned some of the basic stuff like turn vaults, lazy vaults, speed vaults, kong vaults and cat hangs. I had done pretty good for myself and learned it pretty fast considering that it was my first time doing it. At the end of the my senior year I managed to drop 40lbs. I was so proud that day cause I was able to do it by myself. Anyways, I barely do any PK anymore due to my hectic school schedule but it's definitely worth trying as long as someone is training you how to do it properly. 

• Brohoof 1

I can't do Parkour or Freerunning, but I want to learn. REALLY BAD. I think there are some classes nearby so maybe I will go to one of those.

Well we have a huge parkour community in Utah, and there are classes EVERYWHERE here nowadays. Maybe you could search "parkour" and then your state and find something. If you can't find classes, you can always watch tutorials on YouTube. Also, recording yourself and watching your technique is VERY helpful when you're having trouble learning a trick.

Dammit. I don't have a park out class near where I live, at least, I don't think that I do. :(

I did play a game called Vector and noticed that the game was based off of parkour. The screwdriver looks cool

• Brohoof 1

Well we have a huge parkour community in Utah, and there are classes EVERYWHERE here nowadays. Maybe you could search "parkour" and then your state and find something. If you can't find classes, you can always watch tutorials on YouTube. Also, recording yourself and watching your technique is VERY helpful when you're having trouble learning a trick.

Well there is a site for Parkour classes in Australia, I wont be going anytime soon though. I'm very nervous about it but that's normal.

• Brohoof 1

Dammit. I don't have a park out class near where I live, at least, I don't think that I do. sad.png

I did play a game called Vector and noticed that the game was based off of parkour. The screwdriver looks cool

Vector is an awesome game! Actually, at the 3:14 mark in my video, the front flip I did was inspired off of the "jump tumble" trick. I've tried the "screw driver" (a double kong with a 360 spin in the middle) but I always end up hitting my head on the thing I'm vaulting over. Someday I'll get it, though. laugh.png

@@Beat Shock,

I must admit, I never have done parkour specifically, but I do compete in recreational Orienteering races, which do require lots of running/navigating through dense brush/forests, and lots of climbing/jumping. It sounds like quite the workout though!

I'd love to do parkour, the only problem is that it's not really possible, since i live in the middle of Finland's endless forests. laugh.png Wait.... Yes, that's it. I'll invent my own sport. FOREST PARKOUR, FUCK YEAH!!!!

• Brohoof 2

I'd love to do parkour, the only problem is that it's not really possible, since i live in the middle of Finland's endless forests. img-1406963-1-laugh.png Wait.... Yes, that's it. I'll invent my own sport. FOREST PARKOUR, FUCK YEAH!!!!

My friend Ronnie Shalvis made this video of doing Parkour in the forest, and it worked out pretty well! (Assassin's creed 3 meets Parkour in real life)

• Brohoof 1

I tried parkour once and this is exactly how it went down.

Hardcore Parkour!!

But in all seriousness, I can't do parkour. It would be fun, but my body shape won't allow that right now. It's still neat to watch them on YouTube though.

• Brohoof 1

I've always wished I could do parkour, but I don't really have the physical fitness, opportunities to learn, or urban setting to try it. Every since I was a kid, I always jumped around between rocks and trees in the forest, and I wished I could do cool stuff like this. It would certainly help me get into shape.

(edited)

I've always wished I could do parkour, but I don't really have the physical fitness, opportunities to learn, or urban setting to try it. Every since I was a kid, I always jumped around between rocks and trees in the forest, and I wished I could do cool stuff like this. It would certainly help me get into shape.

I tried parkour once and this is exactly how it went down.

Hardcore Parkour!!

But in all seriousness, I can't do parkour. It would be fun, but my body shape won't allow that right now. It's still neat to watch them on YouTube though.

ahhh this brings back good memories. My high school has a PK club and back when I was senior I was intent on loosing some weight before the end of the year. I was 210 lbs then so I decide to join PK club to loose the weight and man was that some tough training. I signed up in the 2nd semester of my senior year so it was winter then and we couldn't really go outside. Anyways, I remember how dumb I looked doing the training but I still had fun. I learned some of the basic stuff like turn vaults, lazy vaults, speed vaults, kong vaults and cat hangs. I had done pretty good for myself and learned it pretty fast considering that it was my first time doing it. At the end of the my senior year I managed to drop 40lbs. I was so proud that day cause I was able to do it by myself. Anyways, I barely do any PK anymore due to my hectic school schedule but it's definitely worth trying as long as someone is training you how to do it properly. 

I'd love to be able to do this, but unfortunately, I'm a bit too slow and *ahem* "massive" to do it properly. I'd probably just end up hurting myself. img-1406460-1-blush.png

That said, I do respect the people that can do this. It's got a beauty in and of itself. Some of the things freerunners can pull off are downright amazing; those stunts are awesome if pulled off correctly.

I ran into this video a long time ago, and it inspired me to learn all of the advanced stuff. It also gave me a new view on Parkour; and that is knowing that the tricks are not about strength, and that it's about technique.

I was like "if HE can do it, then I can do it!"

Not to mention, it's funny to watch people fail at doing it. tongue.png

Oh, you can watch my fails! laugh.png

Edited by Beat Shock
  • Brohoof 1

I ran into this video a long time ago, and it inspired me to learn all of the advanced stuff. It also gave me a new view on Parkour; and that is knowing that the tricks are not about strength, and that it's about technique.

I was like "if HE can do it, then I can do it!"

Well I'm convinced laugh.png  Are there any techniques or something that are good to start with? I always considered parkour an urban sport, so it will be difficult in my area where the only things to jump on are trees and cows happy.png

• Brohoof 1

Well I'm convinced laugh.png Are there any techniques or something that are good to start with? I always considered parkour an urban sport, so it will be difficult in my area where the only things to jump on are trees and cows happy.png

Well, you can watch tutorials for doing tricks on the ground. Also, if you want to improve your technique, video tape yourself attempting a trick, and compare it to the other people doing it correctly. Me and my cousin did backflips off of trees when we were 11! lol

• Brohoof 1

Not really an expert, but I certainly know how to get my ass from A to B no matter what's in between.

More of an UE/climbing -oriented way of parkour, not parkour for the sake of itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always wanted to learn Parkour and/or freerunning...but I have never really gotten around to learning (I'm too focused on circus stuff img-1410630-1-happy.png )

THE CIRCUS?!? That's a great place to start! This guy is my hero, and he first started doing stuff in the circus before he became famous!

• Brohoof 2

I've searched all over the Forums for a thread like this, but I couldn't find one. (Mods please tell me if there is one already like this)

I'm starting this thread for people who do Parkour/Freerunning, people who are interested in it, or people who have no idea what it is and want to learn about it. This thread is for Parkour and Freerunning discussion, stories, and videos (post your Parkour/Freerunning videos here).

For people who do not know what Parkour and/or Freerunning is...

Parkour:

Parkour is basically getting from check point A to check point B as fast as possible without any transportation except for your body. This includes vaults, climbing, running, and jumping over obstacles in your environment.

Freerunning:

Freerunning is pretty much a "show-off" extension to Parkour, while adding unnecessary flips and tricks to make it look cooler. (ex: "jumping off a roof and rolling=Parkour" and "doing a backflip off a roof=Freerunning")

I'm only 15, but I've learned a lot of Parkour/Freerunning in the past years. At first I never taught anyone else because it made me feel unique, but now that I've met other people who are even more skilled than me, I've never been happier to help others learn!

Here's one of my videos, but I want to see some of yours if you make/have any!

Here's some epic channels you should check out:

Damien Walters: http://www.youtube.com/user/damienwalters

Jesse La Flair: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaFlairParkour

Ronnie Shalvis (I'm friends with him): http://www.youtube.com/user/Ronniestreetstunts

Tell me what you think!!! I'm excited to introduce people to this sport, as it has made my life so much better! img-1406441-1-biggrin.png

You mention that rolling after a jump is Free running... but it's not. Rolling after a fall allows your body to absorb the massive impact that your ankles would otherwise succumb.

Ankles are very weak compared to the human shoulder and back.

Also, rolling allows one to keep their momentum; because landing on one's feet causes a pause.

Rolling after a fall is parkour not free running.

You mention that rolling after a jump is Free running... but it's not. Rolling after a fall allows your body to absorb the massive impact that your ankles would otherwise succumb.

Ankles are very weak compared to the human shoulder and back.

Also, rolling allows one to keep their momentum; because landing on one's feet causes a pause.

Rolling after a fall is parkour not free running.

Look very closely... I know that the roll is parkour! I said "jumping off a roof and rolling = Parkour" and "doing a backflip off a roof = Freerunning" so I was saying that jumping and rolling was parkour and adding a backflip is freerunning. Sorry if you were confused. smile.png

I practiced a lot with a friend of mine in High School around campus and stuff. Learned how to land from a high jump w/ the balls of your feet and rolling. Got very decent at vaulting and getting leverage off walls to get to higher ledges. I love this but the most important rule I found out is: know your limitations of what you can currently do. I really wish to get back into doing this but sadly there are not that many great places around my area where I live now to practice :(.....