Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Mile 22.

Okay as far as action content, but it really had no ending. The filmmakers were apparently assuming the story would stretch into a multi-part series, but they should at least have a semi-ending because there's no guarantee they're going to be successful enough to warrant further installments.

Crazy Rich Asians 1/10

Spoiler

Such a whitewash movie...there's no cultural aspect to this movie beside a typical "white american" romance but with asians.  I'd expect a different view on "romance" due how different cultural aspects. It's like who ever is making this movie is holding it back just to avoid white people  "I don't get it because it's asian's culture" reactions.  

but overall I just hate romance movies/show in general...so I don't even know why I wasted my time on this movie.

Where Eagles Dare.

A really solid war movie with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. I always watch it this time of year to get me in a wintery mood (it's all cold and snowy in the movie) and it delivers some good action and a nifty plot twist.

• Brohoof 1

The Meg 9/10

Spoiler

I have to say, it's not bad as I thought it would be. There's no unnecessary scenes for the sake to drag the movie and most people there has more common sense than the ones in Jurassic World. I mean hell, they just poison that motherfucker and kill it. Why can't these characters in Jurassic world thought of that?? I also like it how this movie is about losses, something you don't often see in a nature vs man movies.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

Halloween 2018... though the last time ive watched a movie BEFORE that was Meet the Millers(I'm not a movie type of guy so I don't care). I just went to watch it with friends and so we had a great time. 

• Brohoof 1

I've actually seen five recently released movies, so I'll put some words in for them all.

Tomb Raider: It's alright, average. Doesn't stray far from the path of most adventure movies, action could be better, and Lara was definitely not as badass as I expected. She's great in the games, but pretty meh in this movie, (even Angelina Jolie's version was better). Given that this is her first adventure though, I'll give it a pass. As for the adventure itself, it's not that original, saw it coming from a mile away, especially given that I had played the first Uncharted, which basically had the same twist in it. 6/10

The Meg: TBD summarized it pretty well.

On 11/24/2018 at 12:50 PM, TBD said:

The Meg 9/10

Reveal hidden contents

I have to say, it's not bad as I thought it would be. There's no unnecessary scenes for the sake to drag the movie and most people there has more common sense than the ones in Jurassic World. I mean hell, they just poison that motherfucker and kill it. Why can't these characters in Jurassic world thought of that?? I also like it how this movie is about losses, something you don't often see in a nature vs man movies.

Exactly my thoughts, way better than I expected, especially given that I previously associated Jason Statham with terrible action movies. Pretty much all the characters were likeable as well. 8.5/10

Pacific Rim: Uprising: Nice spectacle, but doesn't have quite the same thrill as the first one. Tries to make everything bigger and badder, but kinda falls short. Not enough time is spent fleshing out the characters, especially Amara. A little bit of worldbuilding, which is kinda neat. The main protagonist from the first is missing, with no in-universe explanation as to why. The plot for the main antagonist is surprising, and a little wonky. Not bad, good enough if you just wanna watch giant robots fight even bigger monsters. 7/10

Annihilation: One of those weird, highly regarded sci-fi movies it takes a while to understand. Some elements of horror, especially with regards to infection and mutation, which I think were done really well. Made by the same team behind Ex Machina, (which is another weird sci-fi film), it certainly has that tone and feel to it, in regards to exploring the interaction between human and non-human. Also, the 'creepy and strange yet intriguing' musical score has returned. The film plays out by jumping back-and-forth from flashback to present, which is a filmmaking technique I don't care much for. I think I might rewatch this one, it's incredibly intriguing. 8/10

Hereditary: OH MY GOD. AS A HORROR FAN, I AM GUSHING. Not for the faint of heart, this movie takes you from real-life tragedy and proceeds into the supernatural, linking the two rather well. The movie does a great job of introducing you to this family suffering a horrendous loss, and establishing a connection between the characters and audience. You learn enough about the characters to notice all the little nuances they have, and this attention to detail stays throughout the movie. You feel and relate to these characters, especially their pain, loss, guilt, and fear. So when this story comes to a close and those characters the film took its time introducing you to meet their inevitable fate, you feel... horrified, unsettled, and uncomfortable. It took the two things I love from two other horror movies I also love; the relatable characters that it takes time to establish connection with to the audience, (notable in The Babadook), and a dark hopeless tone that stays throughout the movie with excellent build-up that leads to a shocking reveal, (similar to The Witch). This is how horror should be made. 10/10

8 hours ago, TigerGeekGuy said:

Exactly my thoughts, way better than I expected, especially given that I previously associated Jason Statham with terrible action movies. Pretty much all the characters were likeable as well. 8.5/10

The movie got better when Rainn Wilson (Dwight Schrute from the office) was in it. He was a funny character since most of his characteristics reminded me of Dwight. 

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

Venom 7/10 

Not bad as most reviewers say, although I'd like the movie to be more on the thriller side and give a bit more time for Vemon "reformation". It was an awkward transition for him. 

• Brohoof 1