Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Brightburn - Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this. It definitely delivered in terms of exploring the evil side of a superhero origin story, but it lacked the killer punch, so to speak. There were times where the emotional impact of the events really hit home, but they were few and far between. I personally think that, in order for a horror movie to be effective, it has to create a link between not only the characters of the film, but the audience as well. And this was an opportune time and story to really make that mark, but it didn't quite reach. If you're just looking for a horrific spin on the classic Superman origin story, then Brightburn delivers. As for how well it did as a horror movie, it was alright. A little above standard fare.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - I actually watched this way before Brightburn, but just forgot to post about it. Honestly, I loved this one. With the great monster design accurately portraying the surreal illustrations from the books themselves, a unique story to bring all the tales together, an appropriately talented cast, and of course, a huge show of appreciation for the book series itself, there's not a lot to dislike about this movie. I, personally, really wanted an R-rated film when I first heard about this, but after seeing the movie, I can really appreciate how it was handled without going beyond a PG-13 rating, especially given the nature of the books themselves. Plus, there's a scene that I really feel will go down in history as one of the most memorable horror movie scenes from this decade, a lofty expectation yes, but I truly believe that. It managed to create some excellent scares and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this film. Of course, I am a little biased, since I love the books and own original copies before the illustrations were changed, but hey, it's still a fun film. 

At last, Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus. But the long wait was not worth the trip. 5.5/10

Every good show need a bad episode, this is one of it. 

Spoiler

Oh boy, where to start.. 

Spoiler

i think everything is okay except some few major things that made this movie a huge letdown. First off I don’t think this movie necessary need a freakin black hold known as the Florpus into the plot just for the hell of it.  I think the movie would’ve been a lot better with just Zim conquered earth with his mind controlling bracelet that he used on Dib, transferred the earth to Might Tallest, and go from that. The plot is good and it is the closest thing Zim ever had done to being successful. Which I like that except a fucking random black hole has to ruin it. Invader Zim is known for simplicity, adding more conflicts is just made the plot overwhelming and a waste of time really.. which it takes away the attention of Zim being an invader. For the new comer to the franchise, I actually want them to see Zim as an invader not a delusional one. Which that’s how the movie portray him as, just because that stinkin black hole ruin it for me and the plot itself.  I’m curious what had the Might Tallests would’ve reacted when they see Zim actually succeeds and conquer earth. Too bad that’s not gonna happen.  There’s just too much going on and unnecessary one at that. 

Dib lacks his intelligence in not able to come up a plan as he usually does and Gaz lost her edge. I like professor membrane action scene and his big moment. 

I think the way how the good guy won was corny, cringe, and cliche... even for invader zim mainly coming from Jhonen himself. Since he’s the guy who would avoid these kind of thing at all cost. I would like the ending to be either the bad guy won, Zim or more commonly no one wins. I think Jhonen should have just use his old work that he already done for the finale that story was a lot better and it’s a movie worth.  I hate the new animation and the art style as I said before. It removes the gothic eerie vibe from the show. Hell I rather have the anime version they did for the intro as the whole. 

Overall this movie didn’t live up to it hype. I don’t enjoy it as much as I wish I did. This should’ve been more of an 15 mins regular instead of a movie. Remove the Florpus out then maybe I would’ve like it more

I'm watching Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith. I think it really is one or the better films in the series, it's the only one that actively questions the motivations of the Jedi. Upon watching I realized the blatant flaws in the overarching story revolving around the Jedi being "good" and the Sith being "evil."

As for this film, I'll give it a 7.75/10. I could see that I overrated the whole series upon revisiting this movie in particular. Though I still think this is debateably the best installment if it isn't just one of the best.

Edited by Banjo

The Mummy (1999).

There are two things to say for this film: at least it doesn't take itself seriously with its lackluster at best story and its forgettableness, and it had fairly good special effects. Other than that it's a mediocre mess. 6.25/10.

EDIT: Well, it does have Brendan Fraser and d@mn he looked so good 20 years ago... :sealed:

The Hole (2009).

This movie starred off like any bad horror film with characters that are obvious stereotypes, then it got progressively better.  Though if I didn't know any better, I'd have thought this was a Goosebumps movie with some decent writing towards the end, but no other redeeming qualities. 5.25/10.

Kidnap (2017)

All I have to say: It's a boring, generic film with terribly slow pacing and even worse writing. 3.5/10.

Edited by Spider Demon

Avengers Endgame.

It was okay, although nowhere near as good as Infinity War.  One thing that did bother me was an extremely grievous flaw in the Avenger's plan.

Spoiler

Picture this.  A small village and the the local hairdresser has gone missing.  Until they find a new hairdresser the other villagers are walking around with buzzcuts or long scruffy hair, hardly a insurmountable problem.  Now imagine half of the global population has suddenly gone missing.  Critical infrastructure all over the world either fails altogether or suffers massively reduced capacity as there are aren't enough people left to run it.  Power stations have to be closed, farms are left fallow, factories and services everywhere have to either shut down or operate at whatever level they are able to with the remaining staff, much of the world has probably turned into something resembling Mad Max.

Now five years have passed since the snap.  They're still struggling to cope as we see in the film with the massive piles of trash everywhere and many thousands, if not millions, of people have died due to problems with sanitation, disease, lack of healthcare, security and so on.  However, order has been somewhat restored and mankind has managed to restore some sort of balance.

The Avengers have enacted their plan, Banner/Hulk has the gauntlet on his hand and he is specifically told not to try anything fancy or mess around with time but only to bring back the vanished to the present day.  Their plan, despite the fragile state of the world, is to suddenly and immediately introduce another three and a half billion people into it.  Granted these people already have trades and will be able to return to work pretty much straight away, but it's going to take some time to get the power stations, the factories, the services and the sanitation facilities etc. up and running again, and most crucially, it's going to take a lot of time to ramp up food production by one hundred percent.

It seem to me that plan wasn't fully thought through, and is liable to cause as many problems as it solves.

Aside from that small detail I enjoyed the film, it felt like a fitting conclusion to the long-running saga.  I'm not sure how the next phase is going to play out though.  The problem with having all these films linked is that there needs to be constant increasing of the stakes in order to maintain the momentum and it turns into an arms race where the heroes have to continually strive to out-macguffin the villains's macguffin, and there is only so far that you can push that before it becomes outright silly.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by Concerned Bystander