Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989).

It remains an absolute classic, and a great film for any sort of film-related Christmas tradition. The film is very much in the spirit of the holidays. But it also has a very simple, but well-written plot along with characters that all in their own way contribute to the humor of the film, that even after watching for at least the 25th time is still absolutely hilarious. It's honestly an absurdly underrated film by the likes of Rotten Tomatoes and especially Roger Ebert (2/4 Ebert? This? Really?) It does have flaws of course, but its flaws that are pretty much not there anyways are in no way accentuated with now 30 years of time. 9/10. Shame my BF doesn't seem to see the greatness of this absolute classic, but hey, I personally don't really like Pulp Fiction (which he does like quite a bit), so we're even I'd suppose based on that alone. 

• Brohoof 2

Jingle All The Way. 

Arnold Schwarzenegger really does a nice job as the long-suffering dad trying to get a last minute gift for his son, and all his misadventures on Christmas Eve as he pursues the most sought-after toy ever. Sinbad is really funny in it too.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Jingle All The Way. 

Arnold Schwarzenegger really does a nice job as the long-suffering dad trying to get a last minute gift for his son, and all his misadventures on Christmas Eve as he pursues the most sought-after toy ever. Sinbad is really funny in it too.

PUT THAT COOKIE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

• Brohoof 2

Watched Joker. Good performance by the lead actor, the story was told rather interestingly, and it certainly felt different from the other movies set in a comic book world. Probably unpopular opinion: I liked Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker better than Heath Ledger, possibly because I didn't like The Dark Knight movie in general. 

I saw two movies this week:

1. Uncut Gems - Tense, thrilling, darkly humorous, and features Adam Sandler's best performance in decades. More of this and "The Meyerowitz Stories" and less of "The Ridiculous 6" please. 9 out of 10.

2. Spies in Disguise - A zany and silly, but also fun animated film from Blue Sky that benefits greatly from the chemistry between Will Smith and Tom Holland.  7.5 out of 10.

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker 

I have no idea what to think of it. I like it more than the Last Jedi(which I hated), but I also think it’s a worse movie. I’d honestly rather watch TPM

While I was off I watched The Fall of Skywalker. It was what I expected. Freaking awful just like the other two. I just wish they would decanonize this trash and go back to the real story.

And Cats. I thought it was pretty good for what it was. I don't know what people were expecting. All this stuff about how it's weird and creepy. :yeahno: It's cat people dancing around. People who say that must be incredibly sheltered from any kind of sci-fi and fantasy. I saw it in pretty low video quality so I didn't see some of the bad effects people have talked about.

17 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

While I was off I watched The Fall of Skywalker. It was what I expected. Freaking awful just like the other two. I just wish they would decanonize this trash and go back to the real story.

And Cats. I thought it was pretty good for what it was. I don't know what people were expecting. All this stuff about how it's weird and creepy. :yeahno: It's cat people dancing around. People who say that must be incredibly sheltered from any kind of sci-fi and fantasy. I saw it in pretty low video quality so I didn't see some of the bad effects people have talked about.

Meh, I liked it. A lot more than the prequels for sure. But to each his own.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (2019).

This film honestly was a disappointment, redeemed a little by DiCaprio's performance and the ending being great. The film had a huge problem with filler. Like it felt like 2/5 or so of it wasn't really necessary to progress the plot of it in any way. Like it just meandered through its plot. Also, I found its attitude towards counter-culture a bit harsher than is warranted from the character's perspectives on "hippies." Not a bad film by any means, but it could have been... 7/10.

Nonetheless, fail to see how it is in any way "misogynistic" or "racist" as one idiotic Rotten Tomatoes reviewer clearly just trying to hate on it puts it. May not be either of those things, but overrated? Yeah, a bit.

Edited by Dustleeshus

On 12/29/2019 at 2:44 AM, TheAnimationFanatic said:

The stilted acting, dated CGI, and abundance of dialogue devoted to exposition. 

These are all major issues, but I feel the greatest failing of the prequels is the lack of attention to characterization... at all, effectively. I rewatched all three recently and was stunned by the complete lack of investment I felt in virtually any of the events on-screen, primarily as Lucas seemed more intent on shoving as many random CGI items and details into the audience's face as opposed to exploring the films' characters or even providing any detail as to their mindsets - take the cinematography, for example, where Lucas rarely frames any shot to represent or even imply the characters' emotions or the chemistry between them in favour of overusing extremely broad shots to maximize the amount of details per frame (think when the protagonist descend into Couruscant for the first time in TPM, where, instead of framing each shot in a specific way to explore each character's (or maybe just Anakin's) perceptions and feelings towards this vast, imposing urban sprawl (particularly if, in the latter case, you were a nine-year-old kid who had spent his entire life as a slave on a sparsely populated desert planet) and thus enabling the audience to understand and empathize with/relate to them, Lucas just shoots the cruiser landing and the characters exiting), which compounds with the lack of focus on characterization in the script (they actually veer close towards establishing a concrete character for Qui-Gon in TPM but continue to cut back towards CGI or action sequences whenever the plot seems to command more attention to his motivations and thought processes) to leave the film without a true core or human element, in turn leaving the majority of the prequels severely lacking in impact; when you're watching a two-hour sequence of stuff that 'just happens', smaller issues such as the overcooked lightsaber choreography and Jar Jar's grating antics register more clearly in relation to the passive numbness you feel otherwise. Sure, the prequels contain a number of compelling and original ideas (arguably more so than the sequels) and contain traces of the trademark Lucas-era SW high-concept weirdness and dry humour which the more homogenized sequel trilogy mostly lacks, but that arguably renders the incompetent filmmaking of the prequels more frustrating in perspective.

• Brohoof 1

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"

I usually love Tarantino films but I thought this dragged on too much, and could probably be cut by at least 30 minutes. The last ~20 or so minutes were pretty great though