Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

The Irishman (2019).

I think that Leonardo Di Caprio said it best with his take saying "it plays like an elegy" and is "absolutely breathtaking." The film is absolutely fantastic, and it really didn't feel like I sat watching it for 4 whole hours, but that I did. It wasn't perfect mind you, and I wouldn't even say it's as good as Scorsese's best films, but it's still a great film nonetheless. 9.5/10.

I'd still say Irishman is, by the narrowest of margins, second to Joker, mainly because even if the 4 hours went, they were still 4 hours. Worth watching for that long, but it's still a bit too long for a movie. Plus, I feel like Joker is a symbol of our time, and the Irishman is simply an elegy to the days of old.

Edited by Aangel Dust
  • Brohoof 1

Star Wars rise of the Skywalker. 9/10

oh my god!! It’s so good! I will say this is my second favorite SW next to revenge of the Sith. Although I also like the original ideas a little better but this isn’t a huge loss.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/former-star-wars-director-colin-trevorrow-confirms-leaked-concept-art-for-his-version-of-the-film-is-real-and-fans-are-freaking-out.html/

I will come back to it to write more!

Edit:

Alright here's my overview.

Spoiler

First thing first, HAH! I knew Rey have some family connection with the Skywalker/Palpatine family line. I called it on the Last Jedi when both her and Ren was sharing this strong force connection just as similar with Luke's and Leia's.  People tend to forget that Anakin's father is Palpatine through "life force". Same thing happen here with Rey. So technically Rey is part of a skywalker family and Kylo's cousin thus that explained the strong connection they had. I hated how Disney didn't apply this so people can shut the hell up about Palpatine having "random" offspring. But I guess it take some extra knowledge to know that it's obviously that Rey is not his only relative but it runs the whole skywalker family anyways starting Anakin. so again...NO BIG SURRISE HERE.  

Okay that's outta of the way, the only thing I do not like is how fast Kylo reform. I mean okay Leia just spoke through him and boom he changed. But that just make it seem like "okay could've done that in the "Force awaken". yeah there something that needed to be changed here. While I like the relation (FAMILY) between Ren and Rey I still think it would be cool for Kylo to kill Palpatine, take the throne as a new sith emperor and then have Rey fight him off and end him there. While at the same time have Kylo goes through a short hint of reform like a big wake up call before he die. I don't know how to explain this but think of a Shakespeare where you get this tragic when death takes place and you failed to save that person but at the same time you set them free from this sith line curse torments. If that makes sense? That was original from the script down the line and that's something I would prefer.  I also would prefer a more better role giving to general Hux as the original script has applied, he have gotten the promotion and will lead the army instead of some old random boomer.

And why the hell there's a kissing scene?? fuck they're freaking related! I wish they could've just never thought to add that scene. The two never shown any sigh of romantic feelings but rather more of a "family" connection. like luke and leia before they knew they're related.  Hah, but it was funny how everyone in the theater actually want "EHHH" when that happen. because yeah it was fucking random for dumb fan service who doesn't do their deep SW research.  I rather have her with Finn. I mean Finn have full support for her and they both care a lot for each other. they'd make a better couple. or better yet, no SHIPPING!

But aside from that, everything was great and I like how Rey is going through the same thing Anakin is going through. Which makes sense since Palpatine have turned his son, Anakin into the dark side and will try the same with his granddaughter. Everything is in place and not drag with nonsenses. I don’t mind the return of Palpetine since  It's definitely give me this Harry potter and the deathly hollows vibe!   :-D. The Dark lord is here!  I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, TBD said:

Star Wars rise of the Skywalker. 9/10

oh my god!! It’s so good! I will say this is my second favorite SW next to revenge of the Sith. Although I also like the original ideas a little better but this isn’t a huge loss.

I will come back to it to write more!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Frozen 2 BORING/10

Yeah I'm not going along with a reviews. it's awful and there's no plot building to it. 6 years is a waste. They could've just bring in an actual villain or bring back Hans. I was thinking about SW in most of the time too. 

A very well shot, well acted and very gripping war story. We don't get enough Great War era movies, let alone from the European perspective. This movie will stay with you long after the lights come back on. 

• Brohoof 1

The Wind (2019).

I had to watch it twice to really grasp it, but this is a great film. A great, tension-driven atmospheric horror piece with a believable look into the mind of a woman driven mad by isolation in a western setting. I do have a couple of gripes, however, and they are serious ones. Firstly, the film takes her side, when even early on, it's pretty much solidified that she's insane, and homicidally so. I'd go into it more, but I'd spoil the movie. Secondly, a film really shouldn't require two seperate viewings to understand on enough of a level to comprehend what is actually happening in it. Also, pretty much every review, positive and negative both, I've read on Rotten Tomatoes is clearly describing a different film. There is no feminist twist, and the film has very few jump scares (unlike one reviewer clearly intent on smearing the film would lead you to believe) 8.5/10.

The Cabin in the Woods - I absolutely love this movie, I could feel the love put into this beautiful creation that parodies the formulaic nature of teenager horror flicks, poking fun at all the cliches, and turns it into something akin to the SCP Foundation or an r/NoSleep offering. It feels like a horror movie made for horror movie fans by horror movie fans. It was honestly great. 10/10 from me.

• Brohoof 1

Kingpin (1996).

At first I went out of this one genuinely and thoroughly enjoying it, but then I realized just how mean-spirited the film gets at times after a couple of hours of thought, and now I'm very split on this movie. On one hand, this film has a lot of good humor in it. On the other, some of the time the film demonstrates its habit of hurling mean-spirited jokes at its main characters, which honestly makes some of the humor less funny with that in mind. It also fails to subvert too many expectations with its very jaded plot archetype, though I can't judge it too harshly on that considering that it didn't really get jaded until the 2000's, but watching in 2020 it's a very predictable movie... 6/10.

Edited by Angel_Dust

Searching (2018) - Holy crap, this has to be the best thriller film I've seen in a long time. Full of twists and turns, a gripping story, and all through the eyes of digital devices we rely on every day. I absolutely loved this movie. I'm gonna buy it.

Sinister (2012) - This movie had a few new tricks for the rather clichéd supernatural horror film genre and actually managed to be creepy at some points. I'm gonna say though, I really liked the premise of finding old films in a new house that leads to such an investigation. I will readily admit however, I found the ending a bit too clichéd and rather disappointing.

Mandy (2018) - This movie was... something. I'm sure there are a lot of people that enjoy that "psychedelic" color-crazy approach that is a hallmark of the 80's, but I certainly don't. That doesn't mean I disliked everything about this film, the animated dream sequences were definitely enjoyable, and the fight scenes were entertaining, at least. The overall weird tone and filming technique kinda turned me off though, as well as the gratuitous sexuality, although infrequent. Not really enjoyable for me, but I'm sure some people will like it.

• Brohoof 1