Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Oh, God. I haven't watched a movie in awhile. I think it may have been the most recent Dragonball theatrical release.

I finally watched Halloween Ends and i am surprised how much i was able to enjoy the movie. I heard bad stuff about it, that the movie isnt about Laurie and Michael all that much, that there are unrelated characters, there is no real brawl out at the end ect.

Now after watching it i can ensure you there is indeed a final showdown between Laurie and Michael and in my opinion it was actually a really cool fight scene. And yes the movie starts off pretty weird, with seemingly out of nowhere supernatural elements. But i think the movie was actually referencing events of Halloween 3 and the Halloween 4, 5, 6 Thorn Arc trilogy.

For someone who has watched all of these films in release order with Halloween Ends really being the last, i actually enjoyed the hints to the older lore. If you consider the events of all the previous movies more or less canon, then the movie starts to make more sense and it actually becomes pretty satisfying towards the end.

All in all i had a good time. Shockingly, considering i hated Halloween Kills. But yeah, i think Halloween Ends is actually fine. I liked it.

• Brohoof 2

Avatar: The Way of Water. (Spoilers ahead) I had a fun time with this movie and it surprised me in a lot of ways. I had heard that it was weak on plot and long on scenery, but the fact is that I liked all that scenery and enjoyed it far more than the plot. On the plus side, this movie introduced some really good new characters (namely Sully’s kids) and they broadened the scope of possibilities beyond a simple re-hash of the original. I especially like Kiri, played, to my surprise, by Sigourney Weaver. I won’t go into the details of her origins here; I’ll leave that to the viewer. The characters were real and likeable. On the down side, the movie is 3 hours and ten minutes long, so bring a pillow to the theater, folks! The movie desperately needed about 40 minutes cut out; it would have kept the pace strong without losing anything important. The finale was way too drawn out, and pretty much conflicted with the ocean-dwelling Na’vi and their rigid refusal to kill in battle. But okay, I’m not going to make a big deal out of that. But I was pretty annoyed when Ronal, the Tsahik of the Metkayina clan, at six months pregnant, grabs a spear and goes into battle. I know this is James Cameron bidding for another pat on the head from ignorant, malleable feminists, but an expectant mother running off to be another piece of meat with a spear is not ‘empowering’ to females; it’s criminally irresponsible. And, as usual, portraying all Na’vi as good and all humans as bad is unrealistic and doesn’t take any risks in showing the good and bad of both sides. The antagonists are very one-dimensional in that respect and it doesn’t give much strength to the conflict. And that’s my rant. On the whole, it was generally competent, pleasing to the eye, and I liked it.

M3gan: This movie is so much fun! I loved it. It takes a premise often used for horror schlock and takes it up a notch by taking a tongue-in-cheek approach to a unique story of a mechanical ‘best friend’ that gets a little out of hand. Rather than descending to cheap blood and gore for shock value in lieu of quality writing, it takes a PG-13 approach and lets the fun take a front seat. This movie manages to be fun and original and I recommend it.

The Batman (2022): This movie had me interested for about an hour and a half. It wasn’t brilliant but it held my interest. Unfortunately it took a sudden turn for the worse and bored the living daylights out of me in a self-indulgent three hour ordeal. The primary antagonist, The Riddler, was a pathetic, overacted depiction of little more than a serial killer straight from the nightly news, with no sense of comic book un-reality. And, in a cliché typical of every frustrated writer/director in Hollywood, the musical accompaniment of Ave Maria to make to make it seem edgy and ‘cool’ is just lame and adolescent. Even Michael Giacchino seems to be losing his touch as a movie maestro, having turned in a dreary, boring score that only adds to the oppressive feel of this endless mess. There seems to be no understanding that these movies are supposed to be based on comic books and take place in a world where super heroes and super villains exist, and don’t need to be made ultra realistic like the gritty, real figures of modern society. There’s no shame in having a character who wears a funky costume, has a weird name, and commits over-the-top crimes of a fantastical nature; that’s what makes the difference between super hero movies and ordinary crime thrillers. As is so often the case, this movie loses all the fun that should be associated with a super hero movie, and ultimately, it really sucked.

• Brohoof 1

Wendell and Wild: the most cringey movie I have seen so far. I thought Key&Peele and Henry can do much better than that. 1/10

• Brohoof 1

Pinnocchio by El Toro. Great movie, and a great, different take on it than the original film.

Spoiler

I love the part where, in the show he plays, he basically tells Mussolini to eat sh** xDDD

I just watched The Sea Beast on netflix. It's probably one of the best animated movies I've watched in a long while and it was directed by the same guy who directed Moana.

It tackles some somewhat mature topics like the hero can be wrong and others. Its world building is pretty amazing with some great lead characters.

Puss in Boot the last wish: 6.5/10. eh it’s okay nothing special as many people are so hype over. Plot is pretty generic but overall I did enjoyed it and it was entertaining nevertheless. Although I’m not a huge fan of the new animation with the flashy 2D comic effects with 3D. I wish they could just keep with the original animation. It’s one of those trend where it’s “in with the new and out with old”  I’m most not please with. However the antagonists are much more interesting than the past ones in Shrek. But okay,  I know how much everyone is so hype over this edge Lord Wolf hunter but my vote for best antagonist goes for Jack Horner. :ButtercupLaugh: 
3BE86472-0207-4232-8038-1B729A2BDFF6.gif.332ea2e64b93bd07b1d06c2255848e65.gif

On 2023-02-03 at 2:57 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

The Batman (2022): This movie had me interested for about an hour and a half. It wasn’t brilliant but it held my interest. Unfortunately it took a sudden turn for the worse and bored the living daylights out of me in a self-indulgent three hour ordeal. The primary antagonist, The Riddler, was a pathetic, overacted depiction of little more than a serial killer straight from the nightly news, with no sense of comic book un-reality. And, in a cliché typical of every frustrated writer/director in Hollywood, the musical accompaniment of Ave Maria to make to make it seem edgy and ‘cool’ is just lame and adolescent. Even Michael Giacchino seems to be losing his touch as a movie maestro, having turned in a dreary, boring score that only adds to the oppressive feel of this endless mess. There seems to be no understanding that these movies are supposed to be based on comic books and take place in a world where super heroes and super villains exist, and don’t need to be made ultra realistic like the gritty, real figures of modern society. There’s no shame in having a character who wears a funky costume, has a weird name, and commits over-the-top crimes of a fantastical nature; that’s what makes the difference between super hero movies and ordinary crime thrillers. As is so often the case, this movie loses all the fun that should be associated with a super hero movie, and ultimately, it really sucked

I’m quite the opposite with your opinion. I think adding the Ava Maria as Riddle’s theme song is fitting giving that this song is used for funerals. So it does gives me the chills listening to an angelic music in a dark setting. Plus I actually like it how they’re not trying to based off directly from a typical super heroes comic but rather getting more into a realistic aspect. Similar to the Joker movie. If this helps, not all Batman comics are the same with villain vs heroes aspect. Some actually take on a different aspect that the 2022 movies has shown. Examples, year one, Hush, and Batman Black mirror ( plus more)  which they’re more towards Noir mystery thriller.  Plus most major Batman’s villains are based from a realistic modern figure of criminals and psychopaths since most of them don’t have super powers like Superman’s villains. So I think that works fine with the movie.

The movie isn’t trying to aim to be like Marvel or Justice league. Matt reeves even said the Batman 2022 stands on it own and have no connection with the other heroes and it is it’s own universe. Which I appreciate the different turn they did with the movie instead of going with the heroes movie cliche. But I’m not trying to make you change your opinion on it, just a penny for a thought.

4 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

The Riddler's theme knows how to :blink:haunt anyone, even his online videos:unsure:  

I agree! I get it there are some who doesn’t like this version Riddler since he’s not like his comic version, but I think this Riddler does have his own charm in a his own twisted way. Plus they’re trying to based this version of Riddler on an actual serial killer, the Zodiac. Which makes him more realistic and interesting.

On 2023-02-13 at 5:18 PM, TBD said:

I’m quite the opposite with your opinion. I think adding the Ava Maria as Riddle’s theme song is fitting giving that this song is used for funerals. So it does gives me the chills listening to an angelic music in a dark setting. Plus I actually like it how they’re not trying to based off directly from a typical super heroes comic but rather getting more into a realistic aspect. Similar to the Joker movie. If this helps, not all Batman comics are the same with villain vs heroes aspect. Some actually take on a different aspect that the 2022 movies has shown. Examples, year one, Hush, and Batman Black mirror ( plus more)  which they’re more towards Noir mystery thriller.  Plus most major Batman’s villains are based from a realistic modern figure of criminals and psychopaths since most of them don’t have super powers like Superman’s villains. So I think that works fine with the movie.

The movie isn’t trying to aim to be like Marvel or Justice league. Matt reeves even said the Batman 2022 stands on it own and have no connection with the other heroes and it is it’s own universe. Which I appreciate the different turn they did with the movie instead of going with the heroes movie cliche. But I’m not trying to make you change your opinion on it, just a penny for a thought.

I respect your opinion and I’m glad the movie worked for you. But for me, even if Ave Maria is a popular choice to play at funerals, the idea of putting something angelic into a dark setting has been done, many times. How often do we see horror movies and crime thrillers ending up in a church setting? It’s the same clichéd principle and it doesn’t work.

The realistic true crime aspect in super hero movies is also becoming the rule rather than the exception. The Joker movie was repugnant, not only because of its gritty nature but because it bore no resemblance to the character of the Joker, making me wonder why they didn’t simply create their own original character (aside from cashing-in on the name). A crime thriller based on fantastical characters is pointless unless the characters are fantastical. Otherwise they might as well leave the ‘super’ heroes and ‘super’ villains out of it and make another Silence of the Lambs. I understand and appreciate that villains from the Batman universe are often without super powers. It works for Batman and does likewise for the villains. But these villains do have an identity to set them apart from the Ted Bundys and Charles Mansons of the world, and should retain some semblance of what makes super villains ‘super.’ It’s one thing to take away everyone’s super costumes (the trend that every super has to look like the dude on the next barstool), but they have to have a personality consistent with the original character, or else write a new character from scratch.

If Matt Reeves says the movie stands on its own, in its own universe, and has no connection with the other heroes, that’s fine with me. I don’t like the Marvel formula of always combining supers against a common threat (or multiple common threats). The lone hero approach is good, as long as it’s not ashamed of its comic book origins. Otherwise it begs the thought; why call it Batman at all? If a super hero movie is a ‘cliché’ we should be looking elsewhere for our entertainment rather than going to another Batman movie.

But, like you, I don’t wish to change your opinion or trample something that works for you. If you enjoy it, that’s truly awesome. It simply didn’t work for me; no big deal. But it’s been an interesting talking point!

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

But for me, even if Ave Maria is a popular choice to play at funerals, the idea of putting something angelic into a dark setting has been done, many times. How often do we see horror movies and crime thrillers ending up in a church setting? It’s the same clichéd principle and it doesn’t work.

I see your point there, for me I’m a sucker for these old type of ‘cliche’ with songs like this played  in an eerie setting. It never gets old for me haha. But only if it does right. Like I know some movies who does it for the sake of just wanting to make it edgy and scary when there’s no sufficient meaning or value behind it. Then it’s just stupid. :yeahno:

but I do get it where you’re coming from. At first I was skeptical about their intake in the riddler because he doesn’t look anything like the riddler we know and worried how they will do this. After watching it I was surprised it actually worked, well for me though.

• Brohoof 1

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - Definitely one of the weaker MCU installments. Uneven pacing, messy storytelling, and dodgy effects. But, it's still a fun romp. Paul Rudd as always is charismatic as Ant-Man and Jonathan Majors steals the show as Kang. Hopefully future movies utilize him better. out of 10.