Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Minority Report (2002): This is a pretty good movie. It takes a story by Phillip K. Dick (a writer with some seriously original work) and adds Tom Cruise, a John Williams score and Steven Spielberg at the helm. It offers a scenario in which crime is predicted by ‘Precogs,’ and prevented before it’s committed by arresting the perpetrator before the fact. It cleverly weaves a possibility of tricking a foolproof system and getting away with murder, with Tom Cruise as the fall guy trying to solve the crime before it’s too late. 

I, Robot (2004): This is solid all the way through, and creates a world where robots are an everyday luxury the way a microwave or toaster is today. But not is all utopian in this futuristic world when Asimov’s laws of robotics can be reinterpreted under extenuating circumstances. Will Smith is fun to watch as always, and I give this movie high marks with one minor demerit for some frantic over-direction at the finale. I know technology gives modern directors a lot of freedom with camera movement, but that doesn’t mean they have to overdo it and distract from the action.

Jaws 2 (1978): I like this movie. It didn’t have the benefit of Steven Spielberg at the helm during the height of his career, but it was made very well and had a great score by John Williams.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Minority Report (2002): This is a pretty good movie. It takes a story by Phillip K. Dick (a writer with some seriously original work) and adds Tom Cruise, a John Williams score and Steven Spielberg at the helm. It offers a scenario in which crime is predicted by ‘Precogs,’ and prevented before it’s committed by arresting the perpetrator before the fact. It cleverly weaves a possibility of tricking a foolproof system and getting away with murder, with Tom Cruise as the fall guy trying to solve the crime before it’s too late. 

I, Robot (2004): This is solid all the way through, and creates a world where robots are an everyday luxury the way a microwave or toaster is today. But not is all utopian in this futuristic world when Asimov’s laws of robotics can be reinterpreted under extenuating circumstances. Will Smith is fun to watch as always, and I give this movie high marks with one minor demerit for some frantic over-direction at the finale. I know technology gives modern directors a lot of freedom with camera movement, but that doesn’t mean they have to overdo it and distract from the action.

Jaws 2 (1978): I like this movie. It didn’t have the benefit of Steven Spielberg at the helm during the height of his career, but it was made very well and had a great score by John Williams.

I love Jaws and Jaws 2, Dreamy. :D

Jaws GIFs | Tenor

Edited by TheRockARooster

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - Marvel's best in a long time. A little bit bloated, but the positive outweighs the negative by a long shot. Great action, a fantastic villain, and full of the heart that made 1 and 2 so good. out of 10.

• 2 weeks later...

Toy Story 2 (1999). My favorite of the Toy Story movies, with the perfect balance of fun and adventure with the signature heartbreaking interlude. Really good writing and direction. Just a perfect movie.  

• Brohoof 1

I watched Fatal Frame, the movie adaptation of the Fatal Frame/Zero/Project Zero video game series.

Its an odd movie that doesnt really adapt any of the games storylines as far as i can tell, but has some references from the games in it, like obviously the Camera Obscura which is still able to capture ghosts ( although in this movie the camera isnt used as a weapon ) and also there is a reference to crimson butterfly with the red band making an appearence, but other than that its an original story just set in the same universe.

It has an emotional storyline and the plot has some twist and turns. However the final is a bit anticlimatic. Its also one of the only times in the franchise that the villain is not a shrine maiden. XD

All in all the movie was fine, in terms of games accuracy its obviously lacking a bit but i wasnt bored, i actually was invested in the story.

Its not the best video game adaptation but its still a interesting neat little movie in my opinion and i dont regret watching it.

• 2 weeks later...

Smokey and the Bandit (1977) Very good, lighthearted movie. Not trying to be deep or overly ambitious; just fun and breezy. I wish more movies were like this now. A movie doesn’t have to prove anything beyond the ability to entertain, and this one does it very well. No wonder it was the second-highest grossing movie of ’77.

The Waterboy (1998) Meh. I’m not an Adam Sandler fan but sometimes he manages to stumble across something funny. But not so much this time. Like Will Farrell, he’s a desperate comedian; always performing over the top rather than letting the comedy stand on its own merits. I think Adam Sandler is a good person, but he needs a co-star (he was always at his best with Drew Barrymore or Jennifer Aniston) or a director who can rein him in once in a while.

6 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Smokey and the Bandit (1977) Very good, lighthearted movie. Not trying to be deep or overly ambitious; just fun and breezy. I wish more movies were like this now. A movie doesn’t have to prove anything beyond the ability to entertain, and this one does it very well. No wonder it was the second-highest grossing movie of ’77.

What a classic movie, Dreamy. :coco:

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) Dang, it doesn’t matter how many hundreds of times I see this movie, it’s perfect, and that’s not something I can say about many movies. That’s why it remains one of my all-time favorites.

Kate & Leopold (2001) One of my favorite romantic movies. It puts a much-needed dose of old-days dignity and refinement into the romantic plot. It deals with time travel and that aspect of the plot doesn’t hold water. I can ignore that though because it’s a good movie, and so far only Back to the Future and maybe Looper ever got time travel right. Worth the viewing.

Conan the Barbarian (1982) The original (and only) Conan. In this case the absolute original which hasn’t seen the light of day in many years. The dvd releases are all re-edited (to the detriment of the movie) and none of the original versions were to be found at all, except for on old VHS copies. I watched this on Netflix, expecting the same re-edit, but I was so pleasantly surprised to see the old, best version of this movie. It won’t be on Netflix after May, but it snuck in and worked its magic. Great movie.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - By god, they did it again. Just as visually stunning, action-packed, hilarious, and emotional as the first. The rare sequel that matches if not surpasses the original. I cannot wait to see how this trilogy wraps up. 10 out of 10.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)

Seriously Google it! I'm not going to try to explain! It was an hour and a half out of my life that might have been better occupied. :ButtercupLaugh: But kinda fun in a daft way I guess.

Edited by Tropical Melody
Typos

Spider-Man Across The Spiderverse. Fantastic film, didn't think it was possible but they managed to top the first movie

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oldboy. It was good. Unlike that game owlboy. Ufff, that game is boring as hell. But the movie was interesting. Not quite the real story. But pretty close, in a way that it was not close at all. It was an interesting watch, as I said.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 1

Transformers Rise of the Beasts. I really liked, easily better than all of the Bay films, might like it even more than Bumblebee. Giving it a nice 8/10

The last movie I watched was Quest for Camelot.

I turned it on out of insomnia-induced curiosity.  I never knew it was possible to over act that much in a cartoon until I heard Gary Oldman SPIT in the microphone 🤣 He was clearly having a field day recording the lines.

The Flash - Very messy, loaded with fan-service, and uneven (especially in the third act). However, I had a great time regardless. Fun action sequences, some solid humor, and even got emotional at times. out of 10. 

If for nothing else, I'm glad the movie is finally out after all the delays, which means we're one step closer to laying the DCEU to rest.

• Brohoof 1

The Navigator (1924). Buster Keaton’s best movie. I haven’t seen it in years and it held up great. His co-star, Kathryn McQuire is a great sport and perfect match for Keaton. I usually opt for my Harold Lloyd movies, but Buster Keaton should not be overlooked.

Fast X (2023). Yeah, I liked it okay. But to watch this or any Fast & Furious movie, you have to check your brain at the door and go all-in with what it has to offer. Logically, no one could survive even a fraction of the scenarios these characters walk through without a scratch, but that’s not the point. The point is creative use of action, probable or otherwise. And no one gives it to you like the Fast & Furious franchise. James Bond used to flirt with some pretty cool, broad action, but once Bond fizzled after the death of Cubby Broccoli, there was nothing fantastic about the stories anymore. So when Vin Diesel and company face nuclear submarines, tanks and even the vacuum of space, I can roll with it because it’s all about having fun and not overthinking it. This latest installment was absurd, sure, but the action was steady and kept me interested, and the most absurd elements had nothing to do with the action. It wasn’t the best of the series, but it was good enough to accompany a bucket of popcorn on a hot summer day.

• Brohoof 1

Elemental - Perhaps not S-Tier Pixar, but still a very heartfelt, sweet and charming film. Dazzling visuals, cute romance, and a fantastic score by Thomas Newman. I see this going down as a cult classic that gets more appreciation down the line. out of 10.

• Brohoof 1