Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forever in a dream that'll never come true or a very long nightmare with an end?

The Soldier

57 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• To forever be stuck in a dream that will never come true
    • Be in a nightmare for 10 years, but will wake up from it once time's up

(edited)

Stuck in a dream forever. Not only would the nightmare be terrifying, but waking up after 10 years would be... difficult. You’d probably be presumed dead and it would be very hard to get your life back on track.

Edited by SparklingCaps

• 3 weeks later...

Several people already expressed my first thought – an eternal dream would pretty much feel the same as reality. If it was a pleasant one, I'd gladly choose that one. The other option sounds awful – I'd essentially waste ten years anyway, and not enjoy a moment of it. :please: The dream would at least be an enjoyable delusion if nothing else.

• Brohoof 3

I would choose the dream. There are some other factors to consider though. The first is nightmare tolerance. Somehow I have grown almost immune to nightmares, partially because I can often sense that I'm in one and cannot be hurt by anything that happens. What is unknown is if there are levels of nightmares I could not learn to tolerate. The second question is lucid dreaming. If I could organise my dream-reality however I wanted with no deadline to wake up, that would have huge potential. The third is the question of the nature of awakeness. I generally experience dreams as more profound than waking life. It may be easier to learn in this state especially if one has control of the dream. If so, one might awake on a level above the regular waking state!

My life is already a nightmare and forever in a dream technically mean I’m dead.. so I”ll take that. 

Dream, natch.

To quote Cypher from The Matrix:

"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist; I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After 9 years, you know what I realize? ...Ignorance is bliss."

Being in a nightmare for that long makes me think if it doesnt kill me ill just be that much stronger. Also im not that privy in superheroes, but i feel like that would be a good origin story for a hero with telekinetic powers. 

For one, depends on the reality. Just because the nightmare ends doesn't mean the reality you wake up to will be... good.

"Forever in a dream that will never come true" is sort of an oxymoron. If the dream is forever, then there's no outside stimuli you can compare it to, to determine that it's not real. Therefore, as far as your brain is concerned, the dream IS real.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:43 PM, Anti-Villain said:

To quote Cypher from The Matrix: "You know, I know this steak doesn't exist; I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After 9 years, you know what I realize? ...Ignorance is bliss."

“What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.” - Morpheus

Come to think of it now, as far as films I've seen that delve into this kind of thing, I'm pretty sure characters in the Matrix are the only ones who in the long run, didn't give up on worrying about whether or not they were in the "real world." In other similar stories, the character usually stops asking and instead just enjoys it.

• 2 years later...