Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the universe lost its color?

The Soldier

Not really. The universe is basically filled with stars, planets, and other forms of science out there. Even if we lost the color of the universe, we wouldn't really care unless your a scientist.

I would freak. I mean, who doesn't love color? I would first go into a depression, get used to it, then probably go mad. Everyone would look the same, dress the same, basically look the same. BORRRINNGGGGG! I would die. 

• Brohoof 1

As a wise band called My Chemical Romance once wrote,

"But the words get lost when we all look the same."

I would make myself look different than everyone else and try and be as unique as possible. Then go into a depression and eventually commit suicide if everything was black, white, and all variations of the two.

• Brohoof 1

One day, I was home from school since I was sick, and this old movie was on tv. Without anything else to watch, I looked the black and white thing, and every minute my eyes would go all blurry and watery. It was horribly awkward for my eyes that are used to color. I expect that if teh universe lost all its color, it would feel the same way, only worse. At least my mind and dreams would have color.

I'd be pretty saddened if this happened. 

I probably wouldn't look at the universe the same way.

There are some pretty incredible colorful things in space that I'd greatly miss. 

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to speculate if the universe would either have to be white or black.  It couldn't be just one shade that wouldn't make too much sense to me, but you may agree.

Originally, I would have to assume the universe is the shade black. The stars around the universe create color. Depending on it's age of course. We'd also have to include reflections of light that bounce off planets, moons, or other space oriented objects. The universe has to be black, but I can't say for sure. If you've ever seen one of those Astronomy videos you've seen the Big Bang Theory where it starts white.

So... can't really decide what color would be, but it would be quite depressing. A world without color... such a horrible thing to think about. O_o

lol This would have been a good post for my Ask a Particle Physicist thread. :P Long story short, if color ceased to exist it would mean one of two things. 1) We just couldn't perceive wavelengths, and nothing would really change, or 2) wavelengths ceased to exist and we'd be fubard. :P

Color really amounts to perception, so things wouldn't really change very much except to say we'd have far fewer adjectives. ;P 

It also would depend as to whether or not we were aware of the change. 

• Brohoof 1

I would go insane. No color means... no rainbows of sunshine! We need color to emphasize the difference of each thing in the world. We wouldn't know if the sun or moon was out, or what season it would be. We. Need. Absolute. Color!

• Brohoof 1

Oh, so that's how the world looked back in the 1930s! But seriously, it would be pretty trippy. If color suddenly disappeared, I would initially think that my vision was screwed up. Upon inquiry, however, I'd find out that others had the same problem. The news would be reporting global colorblindness or physical loss of color, scientists would be trying to determine what was going on, and the Internet would be flooded with information, or lack thereof. Color-coded signals such as traffic lights would become useless. Deaths would occur. There would be chaos, and lots of it. Mass panic is guaranteed.

And we will no longer have colorful ponies.

post-9109-0-90926300-1367135183_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

It would be very bad.Losing all the colors, it would feel like being blind.With the question "What if the universe lost its color?" i don't expect a black and white world because black and white are colors too so everyone would be blind and nopony could interact with eachother.

I would not give one solitary fuck. xD

I don't mind, in fact white is my 2nd favourite colour. (I know white is actually a tone, but....bleh. I don't care) My first is lavender, but anyway, no colour doesn't matter. Colour isn't exactly something we truly need.

(Throughout my post, I have a wiggly red line under "Colour"..... blast your imperial spelling.)

Well, technically color may not even be real as we can only claim that it is an individualized mental construct existing to help us understand and comprehend our surroundings.

In short, the universe could very well already be colorless and it is only by the grace of the human mind that we see them.

Edited by Victoria and Co.
  • Brohoof 1

The universe would suck.

I wouldn't have a very good time. I enjoy colors, and all of my art abilities would go down the drain. It's not like my only talent is art.

Off topic: The first thing that came to my mind was Discord. Now onto topic.

I believe that if the world were to lose it's color, people would change drastically. Color is what brings clarity and feeling into people's lives, such as how an artist uses different colors to portray emotions or shading, which adds realism and, once more; clarity to the artwork.

Without color, people would go into a depression, or perhaps maybe anger. A person who turns blind at the age of 20 doesn't like being blind, do they?

In all realism and logic, people wouldn't enjoy having a lack of color. Like how people wouldn't enjoy not being able to hear, smell, or touch things. It's one of our senses that aren't 'officially a sense', because of the enjoyment it brings us. On a full manner, it wouldn't affect us too much, but because humans use colors to portray things with emotions and feeling, it would effect us.

A few examples: A strawberry isn't a strawberry if it's not red. We would be able to tell the difference between a lemon and an orange. We wouldn't be able to see light, other than a slight difference in brightness, in which case, sight would probably be down the drain entirely.

Strange question!  I doubt you'll have to worry about that though, being that color is actually wavelengths.  Wavelengths I believe are a result of the basic, basic particles (atoms, quarks, and particularly photons) that build up the matter. So if color was lost, it would mean the base particles changed, and thus the whole universe would probably become unstable.  There is a MUUUUUUUUUUUCH more technical/scientific explanation for color which I am not elaborating on here, but that's the extreme basics of it I think.  Now something that COULD happen is we could all go colorblind...mysteriously.  It would be about the ability of the rods/cones in our eyes and our brain to perceive color.  And that wouldn't be nice at all!  But I'd take that over being blind any day, that's for sure.

Edited by Domnopalus

I'd cry for a million years, I can't live a happy life without my favourite colour, yellow.

If it were to happen, it would be the worse nightmare ever to occur.

In a situation where I lost the ability to see color, I would live in a very depressed state of existence indeed. However, the pleasure of having seen color at all in the past would have been able to drag me through life.