Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv T.v shows, movies, and books that make you think

Sanic Screwdriver

Hey everypony, I was wondering, anypony know any good books/t.v shows/movies that make you think, use logic/psychology a lot, or have a lot of mind bucks, like Death Note, or Saw? I'm not sure if this is the correct place for the topic so excuse me if it belongs in the forum lounge or something.

dexter (no its not the cartoon) its a show about a man named dexter. A likeable Miami police forensics expert moonlights as a serial killer of criminals who he believes have escaped justice. basically he kills people for fun if you didn't get that but its for a good reason so its ok.

Jeeves and Wooster is a good highbrow comedy that uses psychology, but it isn't as dark as the examples you gave. In fact, it isn't dark at all. Good twists though. I've never read the books, but the show is great in my opinion.

I always like to write my own running commentary my books in order to be able to look back on my thoughts upon rereading. My copy of Ender's Game provides delightful little remarks such as this:

Ender was always very analytical, just like me.

And this is him taken to an extreme...

This is me taken to an extreme

Holy shit

I'm horrible

Avatar: The Last Airbender also tends to get me feeling thoughtful.

The Day After and The Wave (Die Welle). The first was a made-for-TV movie from 1983 about the "survivors" of a nuclear holocaust and is just kinda disturbing, the second is based on a true story of how a college professor got his students to willingly behave like Nazis (without them realizing it) for the purpose of an experiment. Both of these are pretty obscure, but I do believe the second is available for instant play on Netflix... 

Twilight Zone definitely also a movie I just watched tonight, Atlas Shrugged.  Very good movie and a great message.  I want to read the book now.

Batman: Arkham City.

It helps me think about Batman's villains and their backstories. It also teaches me more about Batman in general. I think of it as a very good game if you ever get that game. :)

• Brohoof 1

Batman: Arkham City.

It helps me think about Batman's villains and their backstories. It also teaches me more about Batman in general. I think of it as a very good game if you ever get that game. smile.png

Speaking of Batman, another movie that makes you think is Batman: Under the Red Hood. I love this movie so much and highly recommend watching it. It is so sad and makes you think. Batman is a very interesting character for discussion.

• Brohoof 2

The Day After and The Wave (Die Welle). The first was a made-for-TV movie from 1983 about the "survivors" of a nuclear holocaust and is just kinda disturbing, the second is based on a true story of how a college professor got his students to willingly behave like Nazis (without them realizing it) for the purpose of an experiment. Both of these are pretty obscure, but I do believe the second is available for instant play on Netflix... 

I added "The wave" to my netflix instant queue and I'll check it out later :D It looks very interesting, is it based on a true story?

I added "The wave" to my netflix instant queue and I'll check it out later biggrin.png It looks very interesting, is it based on a true story?

Yeah, I think the original experiment was conducted in the 1960's and the results were rather surprising. By the time all was said and done, the professor pretty much had a cult on his hands.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight Zone definitely also a movie I just watched tonight, Atlas Shrugged.  Very good movie and a great message.  I want to read the book now.

Speaking of Atlas Shrugged, if you're into video games the first Bioshock is great for making you think. Same goes for just about any game that has multiple endings. Video games are getting more and more deep story lines and complex characters all the time. Too bad the gameplay itself can get tedious for people like me who are just in it for the story.