Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How famous do you think you are on the forums?

~Starlight~

I'd say 7.7/10.

I mean, that's just being known. I'm pretty sure being liked by everyone would be a 5 or 6/10.

I've made some great friends on here, though. I just consider myself known for a couple of things, not really famous. Like, a B-List Actor or something.

Not sure, I would think I'm known since I've been rather active since I joined but because there was a lack of topics I may have become a bit inactive. I'm honestly not sure how famous I am, I guess I might be a little famous since I log in every day.

My guess is 7-8/10.

Noo, you're doing it wrong.

Popularity is not what one just thinks about oneself. It's what others think about you.

That's why there were several people who couldn't tell how popular they are here: because it doesn't depend on what they think about themselves. One can shamelessly rate oneself 10/10 and it will be as meaningful as these websites.

The same goes with confusing popularity with ranks on this forum: A high rank doesn't mean you're popular. It only means that you post a lot. It can be a lot of bullshit, and usually will be, since smart people usually talk less but more worthwhile.

So what is the true measure of one's popularity?

It is if one is recognizable by other people here. If you ask 100 random people a question like: "Do you know this guy?" and they'd say "Of course!", then that guy is popular.

The closest mechanism to a measure of popularity which is built-in at these forums are probably the mentions. When someone mentions you, it's probably because he knows you, and refer to some of your posts somewhere, because he/she found your post to be worthwhile. If there would be some additional mechanism to count these mentions (but excluding mentions which are direct answers to your posts, because these would spoil the measure), then this would be a good measure of popularity.

Another built-in mechanism which is very close, are the brohooves. If you have lots of brohooves under your belt, then it likely means that lots of people here like what you write. But this also can be exploited for bad, for example if you have many friends which constantly brohoof everything you say, even if it's a total bullshit. There could be some possible improvements, e.g. weighing brohooves more if they're more evenly distributed between different brohoovers, instead of being constantly from the same narrow group of people. Or crossing it with mentions somehow.

Soo, if you want to know if you're famous, ask other people if they know you.

Those are my 2 bits.

• Brohoof 1

Noo, you're doing it wrong.

Popularity is not what one just thinks about oneself. It's what others think about you.

That's why there were several people who couldn't tell how popular they are here: because it doesn't depend on what they think about themselves. One can shamelessly rate oneself 10/10 and it will be as meaningful as these websites.

The same goes with confusing popularity with ranks on this forum: A high rank doesn't mean you're popular. It only means that you post a lot. It can be a lot of bullshit, and usually will be, since smart people usually talk less but more worthwhile.

So what is the true measure of one's popularity?

It is if one is recognizable by other people here. If you ask 100 random people a question like: "Do you know this guy?" and they'd say "Of course!", then that guy is popular.

The closest mechanism to a measure of popularity which is built-in at these forums are probably the mentions. When someone mentions you, it's probably because he knows you, and refer to some of your posts somewhere, because he/she found your post to be worthwhile. If there would be some additional mechanism to count these mentions (but excluding mentions which are direct answers to your posts, because these would spoil the measure), then this would be a good measure of popularity.

Another built-in mechanism which is very close, are the brohooves. If you have lots of brohooves under your belt, then it likely means that lots of people here like what you write. But this also can be exploited for bad, for example if you have many friends which constantly brohoof everything you say, even if it's a total bullshit. There could be some possible improvements, e.g. weighing brohooves more if they're more evenly distributed between different brohoovers, instead of being constantly from the same narrow group of people. Or crossing it with mentions somehow.

Soo, if you want to know if you're famous, ask other people if they know you.

Those are my 2 bits.

I think you officially just killed this topic  :lol:

Probably not at all.

At the most 1/10.

I don't think I've really said or done anything constructive or insightful enough to garner any 'fame'.

However, I don't really see that being all too important as I signed up to discuss ponies...and other things with people who are also fans of said ponies.

I dunno. I don't really care too much any more. I post when I can and when I'm in the mood and bothered. I'm probably better known than I think I am but it's really hard to tell on a forum. That goes saying for most of the others on the thread. Even though people may not interact with you that much or at all, it doesn't mean they don't notice you.

1-2/10 I haven't really been active because I honestly don't know what to do here anymore. A select few members may see my name and may recognize it from somewhere but I think thats it. The people from my FL, I barely talk to. I really should talk to them but, idk.

Whatever it is, it's not enough. To be honest, on a scale of 1 to 100; 1 being dead inside, and 100 being Katy Perry, I'm at 11. Though while everyone knows this one person on the forums, someone else could just be hearing of them now. That happens to me on GTAForums. I really should come here more often; then I could move up to 11.3. Started from the bottom now we're here.

Edited by FallingBrony

It depends, because different users frequent different sections of the forum, so I'm more well-known in places that I post a lot. I feel like a forum celebrity in the Forum Games section because I frequent it quite a bit and have made a large number of friends there. :) I also try to spend a lot of time in the Show Discussion, General Discussion, and Sugarcube Corner sections, where I feel I am not particularly famous, but that I have enough of a presence that I'm not just another Jane Doe. I have never posted in the Roleplay section and I very seldom post in any art related threads.

Overall, I feel like I have a decent sized friends list, I'm pretty active every day, and I feel like most of MLP Forums' regular members either know me, or have at least seen me around. If I had to guess where I'd rank on a fame scale, I would predict that I'd be about a 6 or a 7.

Edited by Sugar Cube

Right now? 

Either a 5 or 6. I'm not as active as I used to be a few months ago, I've slowly been becoming more inactive each day. This site isn't about fun and talking with your mates anymore, now it's just all about the cool kids.

• Brohoof 1

I'd wager I'm not very known at all as my activity tends to be limited and I'm still newish I suppose. I just come and go not expecting too much. It took years and daily activity on another forum I'm on to earn celebrity status and respect so I know it's something that would time and effort to gain, for me at least. But honestly I'm content, if people happen to like me than that's good.

I honestly couldn't care less. Fame makes me uncomfortable. I'm content with being relatively unknown. It's easier that way.

I'd be more infamous anyways, because I'm different.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say maybe... 2-3/10? I know there are several people who know me from the RP section. I might also be famous for going inactive in the middle of roleplays... But I've kinda fixed that

I think...

Pretty low, now.  I'm kinda sporadic in my activity (though it's becoming better with the new season).  If you don't frequent the Metal Thread or aren't an old user, there's a good chance you don't know me.