Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Designated WIP Section?

ASocialyAwkwardPony

I saw some discussions about WIP songs on the boards and I thought maybe having a own place to upload WIP tracks and implement a easy to use constructive criticism feedback feature to it could have been a cool idea.

I like this! This could be a viable way to incorporate WIP's into the website without interrupting normal service!

If something is uploaded here, then these settings could be applied to the uploaded file:

• WIP's would have downloads disabled by default.
  • WIP's would not be able to be submitted to the "featured" section of the website.
  • WIP's would not show up on random playlists.
  • WIP's could still be added to regular, user structured playlists, with the understanding that the artist may delete the WIP when the full song comes out.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 3

If feedback from a few past threads is anything to go by, WIP's are huge. People really want a way to be able to spread those around, and SoundCloud currently dominates that need. I can see Pony.fm becoming a popular place to share those, and despite what I've previously had to say on the matter, in retrospect, I think it could be made to work well.

If something is uploaded here, then these settings could be applied to the uploaded file:

• WIP's would have downloads disabled by default.
  • WIP's would not be able to be submitted to the "featured" section of the website.
  • WIP's would not show up on random playlists.
  • WIP's could still be added to regular, user structured playlists, with the understanding that the artist may delete the WIP when the full song comes out.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I believe what you just described would be Pony.fm's equivalent of an unlisted YouTube video - accessible via direct URL, but not otherwise. Uploading a WIP needn't be an entirely different experience, but marking it as one would change their behaviour in several key ways as you described.

Hmm... what about artist profiles? Should they be shown there - perhaps in a special "WIP's" area? deviantART's "Scraps" designation serves that purpose.

The thing with tracks accessible only via direct URL is that it creates security through obscurity. In theory, anyone could still find the track by changing the ID number in the URL. There are a few things I can think of that could be done here:

• restricting WIP's to logged-in users
  • an access control layer, allowing you to grant access to a track to specific users
  • a track password which must be entered to access the track

Would any of these (or something else you can think of) be desirable?

I saw some discussions about WIP songs on the boards and I thought maybe having a own place to upload WIP tracks and implement a easy to use constructive criticism feedback feature to it could have been a cool idea.

Could you elaborate a little more on your idea for constructive feedback, Nightmare Lyre? A few proposals have been made for feedback systems before, both tied into the planned "featured artists" system. Relevant threads:

It's worth reading through these threads to see if anything presented there matches up with your ideas, and I'd love to see what you and anyone else may think. There are a lot of ways a centralized feedback system could be built, but the main thing is that it has to work - if you ask for feedback, you get it - so a concept should be thoroughly fleshed out before I begin writing any code for it.

Could you elaborate a little more on your idea for constructive feedback, Nightmare Lyre? A few proposals have been made for feedback systems before, both tied into the planned "featured artists" system. Relevant threads:

It's worth reading through these threads to see if anything presented there matches up with your ideas, and I'd love to see what you and anyone else may think. There are a lot of ways a centralized feedback system could be built, but the main thing is that it has to work - if you ask for feedback, you get it - so a concept should be thoroughly fleshed out before I begin writing any code for it.

Well what I mean is to have special comment boxes on WIP tracks that are especially shaped for the sake of constructive feedback basically.

Well what I mean is to have special comment boxes on WIP tracks that are especially shaped for the sake of constructive feedback basically.

If a special feedback box is implemented, I'd rather see it made available to every track depending on the artist's preferences (like how DA does critiques). No need to limit that feature to WIP tracks only.

If feedback from a few past threads is anything to go by, WIP's are huge. People really want a way to be able to spread those around, and SoundCloud currently dominates that need. I can see Pony.fm becoming a popular place to share those, and despite what I've previously had to say on the matter, in retrospect, I think it could be made to work well.

I believe what you just described would be Pony.fm's equivalent of an unlisted YouTube video - accessible via direct URL, but not otherwise. Uploading a WIP needn't be an entirely different experience, but marking it as one would change their behaviour in several key ways as you described.

Hmm... what about artist profiles? Should they be shown there - perhaps in a special "WIP's" area? deviantART's "Scraps" designation serves that purpose.

The thing with tracks accessible only via direct URL is that it creates security through obscurity. In theory, anyone could still find the track by changing the ID number in the URL. There are a few things I can think of that could be done here:

• restricting WIP's to logged-in users
  • an access control layer, allowing you to grant access to a track to specific users
  • a track password which must be entered to access the track

Would any of these (or something else you can think of) be desirable?

You may be overthinking this. The goals of a WIP track are mainly (from what I understand) to delineate them from the artists' other uploaded media. Perhaps a WIP would only be given a special tag and a special place in their profile. Features like enabling "unlisted" tracks would be a great option as well, but I don't see the need for coupling them with the implementation of WIPs. A person would be allowed to create an unlisted WIP of course, but I don't see any issue with allowing these features to be isolated from one-another.

As far as requiring someone to be logged in to view an unlisted track, I could see that being a problem. The idea of an unlisted track isn't to provide 100% security, but mainly for people who want to quickly share their work over another network outside of pony.fm itself. Requiring an account may be counterintuitive in that regard. For example, I have made unlisted YT videos and gists before - and security was really not a concern for me as much as search engine discoverability and people able to view them from my profile (but without having a direct link).

• Brohoof 1

• WIP's would not be able to be submitted to the "featured" section of the website..

The point of uploading a WIP is to show your listeners that you are working on something new, right ? So why shouldn't it get submitted to the featured section ? ^^

The point of uploading a WIP is to show your listeners that you are working on something new, right ? So why shouldn't it get submitted to the featured section ? ^^

I suppose this could be relaxed; my initial thought was that if it's just a WIP, then they'd probably want the full song to be featured, not just the short little preview that they upload. (So if we're okay on featuring some of the same content twice, then I guess there's no issues with it.)

Edited by CloudFyre

I suppose this could be relaxed; my initial thought was that if it's just a WIP, then they'd probably want the full song to be featured, not just the short little preview that they upload. (So if we're okay on featuring some of the same content twice, then I guess there's no issues with it.)

People can definitely give reviews still - but I have a feeling that if

I'm thinking that a section on the dashboard just for WIP's would work...