Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What about making exclusive mixed compilations for pony.fm?

cd_solidsnake

Your opinion on this idea!  

5 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• It is superb!
    • It is a good idea, but it still has it's issues.
    • I don't think that this is a good idea at all.

Well, I've been thinking about this idea since I made a little DJ mix with pony music from all over YouTube. But let me give you a little context about this...

I love the DJ Kicks series. In case you don't know, DJ Kicks is a legendary series of mixed compilations made by several DJs/Producers, and it exists since 1995. The series has an amazing idea: it features one or more exclusive tracks made by the DJ that mixes the compilation (and sometimes even exclusive tracks by friends of that DJ in particular). The exclusive track is most of the times an original, but it also features exclusive remixes and stuff.

The lastest mixed compilation of that series features several remixes and three original tracks by the DJ in charge, Maceo Plex.

img-1415116-1-maceo-plex-dj-kicks.jpg

Now that Pony.fm is a serious thing (not that it wasn't before, but now IT REALLY IS) and it's improving a lot, why not making a series of mixed compilations with music that's uploaded to the site? It'll be cool to do it. That way you could showcase artists and great music in an interesting format.

Of course it'd be an open genre thing, with multiple DJs doing mixes with their favorite music styles/genres. It could also feature exclusive tracks by the DJ him/herself and other artists that are interested in making exclusive tracks for it.

The rules would have to be there, of course.

1. Only music that has been uploaded to the site.
  2. Only lossless format.
  3. Only music that is allowed to be downloaded.
  4. The DJ MUST create an original track specially for the compilation, either by himself or in collaboration with other artist. Several exclusive tracks/remixes are welcome.
  5. The DJ would apply for the chance to make a compilation, but the pony.fm staff makes the decision of letting him.
  6. The mixed compilation should have a time lenght between 65 and 79 minutes (the lenght of a CD).

Perhaps one compilation every three or four months would be cool, that'd give every DJ time to plan and carefully craft the mix and also to finish the track(s).

What do you say? biggrin.png

Edited by Feld0
Changed that numbered list to a properly formatted one.
  • Brohoof 1

I love the DJ Kicks series. In case you don't know, DJ Kicks is a legendary series of mixed compilations made by several DJs/Producers, and it exists since 1995. The series has an amazing idea: it features one or more exclusive tracks made by the DJ that mixes the compilation (and sometimes even exclusive tracks by friends of that DJ in particular). The exclusive track is most of the times an original, but it also features exclusive remixes and stuff.

Sounds interesting enough. I'm not sure I understand exactly how it works, though, since you said that the DJ's exclusive track is usually an original, but it mixes the entire compilation. How exactly does that work - is the DJ's track completely original, or does it mix bits of the compilation's tracks together? And does the finished compilation include all the compiled tracks in their original, unmodified form?

If I'm not mistaken, it may already be possible to create this using Pony.fm's playlists feature:

1. The DJ creates a new playlist.
  2. The DJ uploads their exclusive track and adds it to the playlist.
  3. The DJ adds all the other songs for the compilation to the playlist.
  4. The URL to the playlist's page (ie. https://pony.fm/playlists/5435-the-mixed-compilation) can be promoted; from there, the entire playlist can be listened to and even downloaded as a zip file.

is the DJ's track completely original, or does it mix bits of the compilation's tracks together? And does the finished compilation include all the compiled tracks in their original, unmodified form?

Yes, the track it's completely original. And yes, the finished compilation includes all the compiled tracks in their original, unmodified form but as a DJ mix (one track and then another without stopping).

If I'm not mistaken, it may already be possible to create this using Pony.fm's playlists feature:

1. The DJ creates a new playlist.
  2. The DJ uploads their exclusive track and adds it to the playlist.
  3. The DJ adds all the other songs for the compilation to the playlist.
  4. The URL to the playlist's page (ie. https://pony.fm/playlists/5435-the-mixed-compilation) can be promoted; from there, the entire playlist can be listened to and even downloaded as a zip file.

Indeed! It is possible, but the DJ would have to also upload the mixed compilation. This way, you will have all unmixed tracks + the dj mix.

Check THIS, you can see it has 22 unmixed tracks and the final one says "DJ-Kicks (Continuous DJ Mix)". This is what I'm talking about.

• Brohoof 1

1. Only music that has been uploaded to the site.
  2. Only lossless format.
  3. Only music that is allowed to be downloaded.
  4. The DJ MUST create an original track specially for the compilation, either by himself or in collaboration with other artist. Several exclusive tracks/remixes are welcome.
  5. The DJ would apply for the chance to make a compilation, but the pony.fm staff makes the decision of letting him.
  6. The mixed compilation should have a time lenght between 65 and 79 minutes (the lenght of a CD).

I like these rules. biggrin.png

Particularly...

Only lossless format.

Only lossless format.

The audiophile in me says... this is win. All my brohoofs go to you. biggrin.png

• Brohoof 2

I like these rules. img-1415526-1-biggrin.png

Particularly...

The audiophile in me says... this is win. All my brohoofs go to you. img-1415526-2-biggrin.png

Every single track on Pony.fm is lossless to begin with, so this "rule" is going to exist with any and all of the music on the site anyway. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Every single track on Pony.fm is lossless to begin with, so this "rule" is going to exist with any and all of the music on the site anyway. wink.png

Well, but you have to remember that you can use exclusive tracks (a.k.a. previously unreleased tracks) either by made by yourself or from other artists, and perhaps those artists would give you a mp3 copy. That is not the best. SO ONLY LOSSLESS.

And another rule: To record the mix in lossless format :3 with -6.0 dB Headroom.

Well, that is too technical :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've already recommended a "best of pony,fm" type of compilation and having that as a dj mix and a single file (with a tracklist) makes a lot of sense. Original tracks aren't a great idea because we barely got enough recommendations in THAT thread of what people wanted to submit and i doubt anyone will MAKE a track specifically for this project. Having something they made recently that they submit is a good idea and we mass vote so we keep quality high. We could also upload the final mix on youtube and use that as an outside promotion to get more people here, keep this going every 2 or 3 months, swap dj's, and get that community vibe i was hoping for in the other thread.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...