Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Acapella and Instrumental downloads

PhonyBrony

There are a lot of artists in the brony community, and plenty of them do stuff with music. I'm sure a great deal of people who will end up using PonyFM will want to make a cover or remix of a track posted on the site.

To make this easier, we could have acapella and instrumental download links on the same page as the original track, provided that the original artist uploads those files too. Obviously, this would be optional to use, but I'm sure it would benefit a lot of people.

Just a thought.

the Phony Brony

• Brohoof 7

There are a lot of artists in the brony community, and plenty of them do stuff with music. I'm sure a great deal of people who will end up using PonyFM will want to make a cover or remix of a track posted on the site.

To make this easier, we could have acapella and instrumental download links on the same page as the original track, provided that the original artist uploads those files too. Obviously, this would be optional to use, but I'm sure it would benefit a lot of people.

Just a thought.

the Phony Brony

Oh goodness, I just love this!  <3

If this does happen, there should be an easy way for viewers to see if this track is okay to sing to, (like a Karaoke track).

This would be super helpful for those of us are just singers. :D

(For instance... MysteriousBronie on YouTube posts his tracks with encouragement for others to sing to them. :) )

• Brohoof 3

That could be pretty neat! I am all for it at least hehe, I recently remastered one of my tracks and it pains me I have to choose which mix to be available just in case someone prefer the original mix, so having it possible to have both mixes available without it becomming spammy would be great.

• Brohoof 1

I've been thinking about the best way to go about doing this. There are two directions I can see it going in, depending on whether these "alternate" versions of tracks should be treated as tracks in their own right or not.

The first option is to have artists upload their acapella/instrumental versions of tracks as separate tracks like right now, but add a feature allowing tracks to be "linked" to a master track. That way, when you're looking at a track that has an acapella version, it can be shown to you in a sidebar or something.

The other option is to treat these "alternate versions" of tracks as additional files that can be uploaded to the same track. Then, they'll simply be listed as additional downloads on one track.

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps both options are needed? No-one's really going to want to listen to the acapella of a song - that should be kept as an additional file for the benefit of remixers. (On that note, adding a 'Download Stems' function would be amazing, but possibly a strain on the server, and not warranted by enough demand...) But instrumentals are songs in their own right, and listeners would want the instrumental version available to stream from the site. It could just be uploaded as a separate track under the current system, or you could have it linked it to the original like you suggested.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just a thought.

the Phony Brony

its hard to convert maybe the artist  need to separate the their music to lead ,drum, wob or acapella before upload it i think ohmy.png

Edited by F2R_faris
  • Brohoof 1

I've been thinking about the best way to go about doing this. There are two directions I can see it going in, depending on whether these "alternate" versions of tracks should be treated as tracks in their own right or not.

The first option is to have artists upload their acapella/instrumental versions of tracks as separate tracks like right now, but add a feature allowing tracks to be "linked" to a master track. That way, when you're looking at a track that has an acapella version, it can be shown to you in a sidebar or something.

The other option is to treat these "alternate versions" of tracks as additional files that can be uploaded to the same track. Then, they'll simply be listed as additional downloads on one track.

Well when I made the original post, I was thinking mainly for people who wanted to do covers or remixes. In that sense, I personally prefer to have the acapella and instrumentals to be on the same page as the original track, but thats just my opinion.

Perhaps both options are needed? No-one's really going to want to listen to the acapella of a song - that should be kept as an additional file for the benefit of remixers. (On that note, adding a 'Download Stems' function would be amazing, but possibly a strain on the server, and not warranted by enough demand...) But instrumentals are songs in their own right, and listeners would want the instrumental version available to stream from the site. It could just be uploaded as a separate track under the current system, or you could have it linked it to the original like you suggested.

Yes, I like the idea of saying "download stems" since that's really what I would love on some other peoples songs xD

The issue with an instrumental song being linked to it would be that (assuming its the exact instrumental and not an instrumental/VIP remix) when someone searches a song, they'd get flooded with results that most people would not want to download or listen to.

its hard to convert maybe the artist  need to separate the their music to lead ,drum, wob or acapella before upload it i think ohmy.png

Well, yeah, but assuming the artist didn't copy from someone else xD it shouldn't be very hard to mute a few tracks to export the acapella separate from the instrumental. If the artist doesn't want to do this, that's totally fine as well.

the Phony Brony

(edited)

Oh goodness, I just love this!  <3

If this does happen, there should be an easy way for viewers to see if this track is okay to sing to, (like a Karaoke track).

This would be super helpful for those of us are just singers. biggrin.png

(For instance... MysteriousBronie on YouTube posts his tracks with encouragement for others to sing to them. smile.png )

I second this -- as someone who's only a singer right now, Covers and collabs are basically all I can do at this point, and all I'm really concerned about.

Most people seem to post them as a given, but yes, it would be nice to have more of that going on.

Edited by Shiek927
  • Brohoof 2