Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Poniverse Logo Design Contest

Twilight Sparkle ✨

Some questions, does the logo have to be on a transparent background? Because sometime backgrounds are unneccesary when you use in on something like, a website header or something...

Just to be clear, the contest is for a logo, not a banner or site graphic. A logo may be adapted for use in different scenarios, but the core design will remain distinct and recognizable no matter where and how it's used (be it a website header, a t-shirt, monochromatic letterhead, a business card, etc.). EA's logo is a nice example of how one logo can be used in a lot of ways:

EA.jpg

So, yes, it should be on a transparent background if at all possible.

Ok, I know I'm going to sound stupid, but I have two things to say/ask:

1. I'm too young to have a Paypal account, and my parents aren't a big fan of mlp contests... So what about that?

2. (Here's the really stupid one) Source files? What? Is that like a .pdn or a Manga Studios file?

1) I'd recommend talking to one of your parents and asking if they have or are willing to create a PayPal account in their name. The prize money can be sent there, and your parent can then withdraw and give it to you.

Failing that, should you win and be unable to receive the prize money, we can discuss an alternative arrangement like donating it to a charitable cause on your behalf.

2) The program you create the logo in will have its own document format that you can save your work in so you can close the program and come back to it later, with all your layers/settings/etc. still in place. This is the source file, his differs from a rendered image like a PNG, which is simply a pixel-for-pixel image and contains no "work" data like layers or text.

• Brohoof 2

There are no limits on dimensions and file size. You should not be having to cut down anything to submit your entry. If you run into any specific issues, email or PM me and we'll work something out.

Thanks, I think I'll make a quick design when I can. And maximise the crap outta that file size. Because it's totally needed to see clearly :P

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Ugh......a whole 2 hours on a banner, only to be informed that it is supposed to a logo. Back to the drawing board.  Hmmmmmmm...... cool logos....

Edited by Conbon

• Do not use any official My Little Pony assets. That means, no canon ponies/characters/locations/etc.; however, you're more than welcome to use generic pony silhouettes that aren't recognizable as any of Hasbro's characters.

So we can use our OC instead of using Official MLP Characters? And what is generic pony silhouettes? I'm asking these question, but I have a hard time understanding.^^;

• Brohoof 2

I've entered this with the design that I've thought up since before the contest was announced. I personally Love my design, but Id also love to see what this community can create :3

• Brohoof 2

Well I've got my schedule for today ready!

8:30 AM: Go to school

3:20 PM: Get back from school

3:21 PM: DESIGN LOGOS, AND LOTS OF EM!

11:30 PM: Sleep

• Brohoof 4

So we can use our OC instead of using Official MLP Characters? And what is generic pony silhouettes? I'm asking these question, but I have a hard time understanding.^^;

Here are three examples of generic pony silhouettes:

silhouette_by_ask_artila-d5q4078.png

wivernryder_alicorn-symbol.png

bronycon2-copy.jpeg

The forms are easily recognizable as ponies or pony-related, but they cannot be identified as any particular pony. While OC's are not technically disallowed, generic ponies or pony components are really a much better idea. The winners will be asked to sign a legal agreement with Poniverse pertaining to the use of the logo, so it's best to avoid using assets like OC's that belong to someone and could have a claim filed.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I think it's time to break out my journal from last year: http://mlpforums.com/blog/91/entry-4505-how-to-design-an-effective-logo-revised/

As an amateur logo designer, logos are an art form that need to be reviewed very carefully. Be simple. Be on point. Don't overcomplicated your logo. Be technical. Have fun. I can't wait to see the creativity you guys deliver. smile.png

EDIT: Uploaded a revised blog.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 7

I'll join this as a way to jump start in this community :) Just for fun tho, since I don't have a paypal account nor the inspiration to make a logo right now.

• Do not post your submission on this thread.  Only submit your designs via the email provided.  Any and all posts that contain your logo submission will be removed.

Just a reminder to our contestants to not post your design here on this thread. Submissions are only to be sent to the provided email address and are not to be showcased before the contest has ended.  If your post contains your logo contest entry, it will be removed.  Thank you.

• Brohoof 4

This is tougher than I thought! I'm gunna need all my brainpower to think of new designs. Goodbye geography exam revision, hello logos! :D

Ah, only joking of course! School comes first. But still, I need to think harder.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Logo contest...sounds cool! Eh, I don't see why I shouldn't try! I probably won't win, but I'll try. I'm not the absolute best at this kind of thing, but I think I can do it...

Hmm....logos, logos...

Edited by TheSonicAlicorn
  • Brohoof 2

Logo contest...sounds cool! Eh, I don't see why I shouldn't try! I probably won't win, but I'll try. I'm not the absolute best at this kind of thin, but I think I can do it...

Hmm....logos, logos...

It doesn't really matter if you win or not, just give it a shot...everypony should give it their best shot and thats all we can ask ^_^

I know I will, and I know many others will too :3

I just feel sorry for poor old Feld0, having to look through soooo many emails :P

Then again...he gets to see all the art made by you fantastic ponies ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I'm not that great at creating logos, but I'll give it a shot.
I could accidentally create something amazing, and I wouldn't even realise it. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Looks to me like you already got the perfect logo. img-1425752-2-happy.png

I don't get why I was among those notified though. All I can do with the skill level I have, is suggest ideas and wish people good luck.

(update: nvm this part, it is no longer valid)

I would, however, be interested in a collaboration. I have an idea, but I can't decently draw it myself, and it'd take a bit more effort to finish than "just vectoring".

Anyone wanna give this a shot, PM me, and I'll send you my idea. I might also sketch it out, and even draw it fully - minus a small detail.

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

This looks interesting! I might enter. The only problem is I don't know how to draw ponys. I'll probably learn anyway so I can make OCs.

The logo doesn't necessarily need to have ponies in it. Logos often have simple designs that represent ideas and concepts moreso than specific things. When's the last time you saw Apple farming fruits? :P

I don't get why I was among those notified though. All I can do with the skill level I have, is suggest ideas and wish people good luck.

I sent the mass email to everyone who is opted in to administrative mail on MLP Forums, which is close to 10,000 members.

• Brohoof 2

I have a possible logo Idea, but considering I cannot do vectors or anything artistic related at all, I will just forfeit by default. It wouldn't win anyway. :P

• Brohoof 1

I have a possible logo Idea, but considering I cannot do vectors or anything artistic related at all, I will just forfeit by default. It wouldn't win anyway. tongue.png

You could just use Inkscape if you want. For more info, go here:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/47870-descants-vector-chronicles/

And scroll down a while. I'm to lazy to find the actual link to the site where you download, but it's somewhere on here, as well as some tips. It's free, and so far it hasn't given me any bugs, nor do I think it will. It's very useful when creating cutie marks.

• Brohoof 1

If we create a logo, and then make several variations of such logo, does each different variation count as it's own logo submission, rather than part of the first logo?

• Brohoof 1

If we create a logo, and then make several variations of such logo, does each different variation count as it's own logo submission, rather than part of the first logo?

It would depend on how far the variations stray from the design; I don't think I can give you a hard-and-fast answer to that. It's best to specify in your submission email whether you intend them to be treated as variations of the same logo or different entries.

• Brohoof 2

I think im taking this a bit to seriously! Spent the past day brainstorming ideas and doing market research. I need to get out more :P

Well, suppose thats what i need to do if i want to grow up as a graphic designer!

• Brohoof 1

I think im taking this a bit to seriously! Spent the past day brainstorming ideas and doing market research. I need to get out more tongue.png

Well, suppose thats what i need to do if i want to grow up as a graphic designer!

Great logos tend to have a good deal of thought put into them. No rush - you have two weeks for this. :) Also, don't forget that you're allowed to enter as many logos as you want! Though I'd make sure that each one is your best work - always quality over quantity.

• Brohoof 3