Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Poniverse Logo Design Contest

Twilight Sparkle ✨

Ugh well I'm not the best artist in the world or anything.

inb4 everypony makes a logo with some planet thingy

But well it doesn't hurt to try. :)

There is no limit to how many logos you can enter. However, you can only win one prize.

Can all on them be in the same .svg file? 'Cause when I make things I usually end up with 6 that looks almost exactly the same but with just a little difference such as outlines etc.

Can all on them be in the same .svg file? 'Cause when I make things I usually end up with 6 that looks almost exactly the same but with just a little difference such as outlines etc.

One entry per file will be considered. If you'd like to submit six designs as six separate entries, please submit six files and specify in the email that each is a different entry (or send six emails over; that works, too).

One entry per file will be considered. If you'd like to submit six designs as six separate entries, please submit six files and specify in the email that each is a different entry (or send six emails over; that works, too).

Stop talking so confusing, "one entry per file will be considered." what? Isn't it already one entry per file? All of them is basically the same but slightly different, can't I just put them all in the same .svg file and if you like any of them you can just pick it and remove the others?

Feldymate, I know you can make those brainpain posts but you know... I'm stupid and stuff. 

Can I put different entries in the same svg, yes or no?

Totally gonna call you FLDYM8 from now on.

inb4 everypony makes a logo with some planet thingy

Hahahahaha... Heh heh... Oooooooohhhhh...

Well, it isn't REALLY a planet, I guess... It's just... Well...

Hm.

I told you I wouldn't win. Silly Matrix, what r u doin??? :L

• Brohoof 1

Stop talking so confusing, "one entry per file will be considered." what? Isn't it already one entry per file? All of them is basically the same but slightly different, can't I just put them all in the same .svg file and if you like any of them you can just pick it and remove the others?

Feldymate, I know you can make those brainpain posts but you know... I'm stupid and stuff. 

Can I put different entries in the same svg, yes or no?

No. Put each entry into its own SVG file. If you do that, I'll pick the best one of the bunch. What I see on my screen when I open a file is one entry.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
(TEXT)

You know what feld0?

I said I was not gonna do this, I threw in the towel before when I trying to make a logo. BUT IM GONNA DO THIS, 

THIS IS WHEN ART MAKEN BECOMES SERIOUS

*opens up illustrator and cracks knuckles*

OW....my hand!

And if by some odd chance I do manage to win this contest, I am probably gonna use the money towards a capture device for my streams tongue.png

Or I can buy myself a new bullhorn to yell at people with, THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaany way, I am probably gonna end up making like 50 different designs XD

I told you I wouldn't win. Silly Matrix, what r u doin??? :L

Hay, the worst that can happen is you don't win, seriously matrix, you make good art, don't doubt your self, GIVE IT A GO, YEAAA... or something 

Edited by Marco ~ Ace Attorney
  • Brohoof 9

It is unlikely any of you have seen my art as I was mostly focused on 3D modelling about 4 years ago or so, and with my slow but strong shift into writing that has phased out.  This coupled with my unwillingness to generally post writing on the internet means you probably didn't even know I could lol.  However, I shall give this a try.  I am looking forward to the results and have already started with some crude sketches.

One question Feld0, I don't have any professional art tools (save a legal copy of Maya 6 roaming around somewhere, but that wouldn't help me here) so I will likely be using hand drawing in conjunction with MS Paint and scanning them in.  Is that a valid method for submission given the request for source files?

One question Feld0, I don't have any professional art tools (save a legal copy of Maya 6 roaming around somewhere, but that wouldn't help me here) so I will likely be using hand drawing in conjunction with MS Paint and scanning them in.  Is that a valid method for submission given the request for source files?

Yes, it is. As long as there's a clearly identifiable logo in whatever you submit, we are in the position to vectorize it if needed. Of course, the closer your submission is to a ready-for-use graphic, the better we're able to judge how it will fit with the Poniverse brand. But great ideas can strike anyone, anywhere, and I don't want to limit them from making it in as entries. If the idea is promising, we can polish it up; just make sure you deliver as much of the promise as you can.

All said and done, Inkscape is a fantastic free program for vector art, which is ideally suited to logo designs. You may wish to check it out.

• Brohoof 2

Is it allowed that I submit several versions of the same logo along with the PSD file, so that you can choose the one you like (if mine is selected)?

What I mean is that I have a logo I've made, but it has multiple options, whether or not it has a footer, whether or not the main logotype has a stroke outline, version of the icon beside, whether the footer is regular or italic, so on. All in all, the same logo has 18 versions I really can't decide between, and I'm asking if I can submit all of them for you to choose from.

Is it allowed that I submit several versions of the same logo along with the PSD file, so that you can choose the one you like (if mine is selected)?

What I mean is that I have a logo I've made, but it has multiple options, whether or not it has a footer, whether or not the main logotype has a stroke outline, version of the icon beside, whether the footer is regular or italic, so on. All in all, the same logo has 18 versions I really can't decide between, and I'm asking if I can submit all of them for you to choose from.

Yeah, you're free to submit that as 18 entries. I'd just kindly ask that you include one file per entry. Ideally, each entry would be the PSD with the appropriate options set, so I can open a file and judge it without modifying any of it.

(edited)

Yeah, you're free to submit that as 18 entries. I'd just kindly ask that you include one file per entry. Ideally, each entry would be the PSD with the appropriate options set, so I can open a file and judge it without modifying any of it.

Well how I'm thinking about it, I'd lay out a whole bunch on a few PNG pictures, then have all the layers neatly organized in one inclusive PSD so that you can turn off and on the options within photoshop.

I'm also seeing what I can do to make the Logo fully recognizable with colour or grayscale, and at any size.

I kept having this nagging thought that "it's possible this might become an iPod app" or "this might end up on stationery".

Edited by Blue

Well how I'm thinking about it, I'd lay out a whole bunch on a few PNG pictures, then have all the layers neatly organized in one inclusive PSD so that you can turn off and on the options within photoshop.

As long as there is one PNG per entry, that will work, too. Be sure that it's clear how to make the PSD into each variation, however, either with sufficiently descriptive layer names that make it obvious or via separate documentation.

Once you've made your submissions, I can take a look at this and let you know if any further adjustment or details are needed. I receive and read all the emails. :P

As long as there is one PNG per entry, that will work, too. Be sure that it's clear how to make the PSD into each variation, however, either with sufficiently descriptive layer names that make it obvious or via separate documentation.

Once you've made your submissions, I can take a look at this and let you know if any further adjustment or details are needed. I receive and read all the emails. tongue.png

I can do that this evening. Heck, I could do that within the next ten minutes, but I've yet to develop a colour theory for it.

I also worked on it to make sure it works with any size, because I was thinking "who knows, maybe this might end up on legal stationery, or on someone's iPhone as an App."

• Brohoof 1

I can do that this evening. Heck, I could do that within the next ten minutes, but I've yet to develop a colour theory for it.

I also worked on it to make sure it works with any size, because I was thinking "who knows, maybe this might end up on legal stationery, or on someone's iPhone as an App."

Sounds like you've got a great design going. I look forward to seeing what you came up with! Send it in whenever's convenient for you, and remember that you can always submit more entries if you come up with any further ideas before the deadline. ;)

Sounds like you've got a great design going. I look forward to seeing what you came up with! Send it in whenever's convenient for you, and remember that you can always submit more entries if you come up with any further ideas before the deadline. wink.png

Because this is a contest, does that mean that I'm not allowed to ask for direct feedback from you for improvements? Normally that's what's done in making a design for a client but obviously this being a public competition throws a wrench into that mechanic...

Well, I sent in my entry... I may or may not enter again... Depends, really. I'll probably get some input from... People... :P

Anyways, again, good luck, all you entrees! (wat xD)

• Brohoof 1

Well, I sent in my entry... I may or may not enter again... Depends, really. I'll probably get some input from... People... tongue.png

Anyways, again, good luck, all you entrees! (wat xD)

Just sent mine too, hopefully I come up with a few more ideas before this is over.  Might need to collaborate with someone I know.

I'm currently creating a logo that combines things that are MLP related while also being unique, original, and sticking them cohesively with one another.  I'd like to know what type of coloring you're hoping to use so I can use it for my logo I'll be sending in.  If you just want black or don't really care about color, what would you like to see?  From the looks of things here, purple (my favorite color) is something you'd agree with, along with complimentary colors to it?  Just asking in case you have a preference so I can design this better towards the coloring.

I'm no much a designer... and also I'm grounded (away from my laptop), so, try to do photoshop in computer, but... To SLOW, RAM overload over my game...then I just quit

Ugh, I wish I had some editing program otherwise i would enter this contest. Does anybody know if i could send in a logo design in like a picture type form? (jpeg is what Im going for you guys.)

I'm totally joining this competition, but the more time I spend thinking about what I'm competing with, it feels like I'm really outmatched compared to the professional logo designers.. sad.png

@@Feld0,

I was wondering if you can submit multiple designs that don't look similar or does it have to be exactly the same with only minor details that can be easily removed layer by layer?

There's also this question that popped into my head, and that's if you'd like a logo design that has the word "Poniverse" in it or is it simply a logo that represents Poniverse?

I'm totally joining this competition, but the more time I spend thinking about what I'm competing with, it feels like I'm really outmatched compared to the professional logo designers.. img-1428819-1-sad.png

@@Feld0,

I was wondering if you can submit multiple designs that don't look similar or does it have to be exactly the same with only minor details that can be easily removed layer by layer?

There's also this question that popped into my head, and that's if you'd like a logo design that has the word "Poniverse" in it or is it simply a logo that represents Poniverse?

Hey Azura, dont worry about being up against professional logo makers, they may know what makes a good logo, but if you can think of a design that will outsmart them, then you're halfway there

Just give it you're best shot, and even if that isn't enough, you know you've done all you can do and therefor you should be happy.

Brainstorm some ideas and think what would work well and what wouldn't. try to think of relations between you're design and Poniverse itself

if you want to take this more seriously, you could do a bit of research. find out what sort of thing is praised in design, find out how colours work with each other and all other do's and dont's. it might sound like a lot of work but really it shouldn't take you longer than half an hour to get the basics down. It wold really improve you're work and you're execution of the design.

Hope that helped a bit smile.png

Oh, and as for Feld0's question, you can submit multiple designs that dont look similar and although you can obviously have either poniverse in it or not, im not sure which one he prefers :P

Feld0s gunna get mad me answering questions for him! happy.png

• Brohoof 1

Because this is a contest, does that mean that I'm not allowed to ask for direct feedback from you for improvements? Normally that's what's done in making a design for a client but obviously this being a public competition throws a wrench into that mechanic...

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can provide feedback on the logo directly unless yours wins (in which case I may work with you to tighten things up if the idea is close to what I'm looking for, but not quite there). You are free to ask for feedback in Octavia's Hall or privately from other people if you'd like, but remember that you'd be doing so at your own risk (someone might be "inspired" by your work and copy some of your ideas for their own submission).

I'm currently creating a logo that combines things that are MLP related while also being unique, original, and sticking them cohesively with one another.  I'd like to know what type of coloring you're hoping to use so I can use it for my logo I'll be sending in.  If you just want black or don't really care about color, what would you like to see?  From the looks of things here, purple (my favorite color) is something you'd agree with, along with complimentary colors to it?  Just asking in case you have a preference so I can design this better towards the coloring.

Colour choices are completely up to you as the artist. With that said, a well-designed logo will look great and be fully recognizable when printed in black-and-white, engraved into stone, or otherwise inserted in a medium that doesn't have a concept of colours.

Ugh, I wish I had some editing program otherwise i would enter this contest. Does anybody know if i could send in a logo design in like a picture type form? (jpeg is what Im going for you guys.)

Image-type logos are acceptable, with PNG being our favourite image format. This is stated in the OP.

I'm totally joining this competition, but the more time I spend thinking about what I'm competing with, it feels like I'm really outmatched compared to the professional logo designers.. img-1428819-1-sad.png

@@Feld0,

Don't spend so much time thinking about your competition and focus on getting your own idea across. There's a reason that submissions are being handled one-on-one via email. ;) I can highly recommend this guide, however:

1) You may submit as many designs as you wish. There are no restrictions on how much or little they need to differ from each other to be considered separate entries. Each file you attach to your email will be considered one entry unless otherwise noted. If it isn't clear to me how many entries you've sent in, I'll reply to your email asking for clarification.

2) While it's not technically a hard-and-fast rule that logos include the name of the organization, something with the word "Poniverse" in it would probably be preferable in this case.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can provide feedback on the logo directly unless yours wins (in which case I may work with you to tighten things up if the idea is close to what I'm looking for, but not quite there). You are free to ask for feedback in Octavia's Hall or privately from other people if you'd like, but remember that you'd be doing so at your own risk (someone might be "inspired" by your work and copy some of your ideas for their own submission).

In which case it is or is not essential the submitted entry has colour with it?

I sent my current version in grayscale, thinking that if it was likable I would then try out colours.