Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Underrated MLP Characters Fan Club

Blue Moon

Ok, welcome to the Underrated MLP Characters Fan Club dedicated to bringing the spotlight to your favorite MLP characters who you feel don't get enough spotlight from the fandom. 

For my first order of business, tell us who your favorite underrated MLP Character is below.

Mine would be the wonderful mayor of Ponyville, Mayor Mare. I love the character of Mayor Mare and she is super underrated in my opinion. She has an adorable character design with a voice to match. Here is a picture of her:

img-1420639-1-mayor_mare_revectorized_by

I mean, aren't her glasses so cute? And she has an awesome collar. And her eyes are a beautiful shade of blue. Let me know if you like Mayor Mare too.

Anyway, post your favorite underrated or unpopular MLP characters, major or background, below and tell us why you like them.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 12

Applejack.  There are lots of artists and storywriters who don't seem to get her.  They keep drawing her in daisy dukes, lolling up against a tractor with a shotgun in her arm, a haystem in her mouth, winking.

They don't seem to understand that she's faithful and strong, because she has to be.  Because life forced it into her.  With her parents dead, Granny Smith barely able to walk, and Big Macintosh not being totally there, she has to wear several hats.  Adult raising Apple Bloom, and Head of the Ranch being the two biggest.  She's fiercely loyal to her friends, because she desperately needs them.

She likes applebucking and chores and hard work, because she's come to understand that it's the hand life dealt her, and she can either like it or hate it.  I bet if someone asked her if she'd rather be lounging about in daisy dukes looking cute, she wouldn't know what to say.  Because she doesn't have time for that.

(I may be projecting a bit.  Did I mention my parents are both gone?)

Edited by NeuroTypical
  • Brohoof 7

What's the name of that Alicorn Filly that sat behind Twilight Sparkle in Lesson Zero, when Twilight Sparkle went crazy and imagined herself in Magic Kindergarten?

That was an interesting character, I wish she'd show up more often. Even if she was a byproduct of Twilight's mind breaking.

• Brohoof 4

Ok, welcome to the Underrated MLP Characters Fan Club dedicated to bringing the spotlight to your favorite MLP characters who you feel don't get enough spotlight from the fandom. 

For my first order of business, tell us who your favorite underrated MLP Character is below.

Mine would be the wonderful mayor of Ponyville, Mayor Mare. I love the character of Mayor Mare and she is super underrated in my opinion. She has an adorable character design with a voice to match. Here is a picture of her:

img-1420639-1-mayor_mare_revectorized_by

I mean, aren't her glasses so cute? And she has an awesome collar. Let me know if you like Mayor Mare.

Anyway, post your favorite underrated or unpopular MLP characters, major or background, below and tell us why you like them.

She reminds me of the mayor from PPG.

Edited by Gehrman
  • Brohoof 1

What's the name of that Alicorn Filly that sat behind Twilight Sparkle in Lesson Zero, when Twilight Sparkle went crazy and imagined herself in Magic Kindergarten?

That was an interesting character, I wish she'd show up more often. Even if she was a byproduct of Twilight's mind breaking.

I just thought of something. Twilight saw an alicorn in her mind, which meant this could be a reference to her becoming an alicorn.

Fat chance, but it's possible.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite underrated MLP character (and best pony for me) is no doubt, Pipsqueak! I mean, c'mon! Look at his face! And how can we forget that he was the only one who risked getting banished to the moon, to say that princess Luna was his favorite princess. 

post-14629-0-40481000-1367365864_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

cheerilee_by_invaderliz_thecat-d4pd9v6.p

I think Miss Cheerilee is a bit underrated she's a pretty cool teacher and the episodes she has been in were pretty good too. I hope to see her in more episodes :).

• Brohoof 10

My favorite underrated MLP character (and best pony for me) is no doubt, Pipsqueak! I mean, c'mon! Look at his face! And how can we forget that he was the only one who risked getting banished to the moon, to say that princess Luna was his favorite princess. 

Pipsqueak is awesome! He is an adorable little british colt.

cheerilee_by_invaderliz_thecat-d4pd9v6.p

I think Miss Cheerilee is a bit underrated she's a pretty cool teacher and the episodes she has been in were pretty good too. I hope to see her in more episodes smile.png.

Cheerilee is pretty cool and has a nice design. I like her voice too and she is pretty funny.

nurse_redheart_by_drfatalchunk-d5hp6f8.p

I don't know what, but Nurse Redheart has a charm about her. Of all the BG ponies, I like Nurse Redheart the best. Sure, she gets a bit too into her job sometimes, but she seems like someone I, going into the medical field, would love to work with.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

For me it is Applejack without a doubt, alot of people think Applejack is a boring character but I couldn't disagree more with that. At first glance Applejack appear to be an ordinary farmpony but if you take the time to read between the lines you will see somepony who despite all the hardship and pain that life has dealt her by having her parents die at a young age leaving her and her brother with the responsibility to raise their younger sister Applebloom and run the family business has grown up into a strong, kind and level headed mare who though she can be a bit stubborn has a good head on her shoulders.

She is not as shy as Fluttershy, as hyperactive as Pinkie Pie as melodramatic as Rarity, as cocky and brash as Rainbow Dash or have the extreme OCD like qualities of Twilight Sparkle but the genius of her character as she dosen't even need any of that yet is still one of the deepest, most interesting and compelling ponies in the show. Since season 3 Applejacks reputation as being the "boring character" has faded a bit but the writers still have some catching up to do with her.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

I don't know if these characters are underrated,but

i like them, even though they are jerks.

sig-1421740.is_this_what_you_wanted__by_

Art by Alazak

Edited by Lord Magnus
  • Brohoof 3

I am surprised nopony put these two on.

attachicon.gifDT and SS.jpeg

These two are probably hated the most.

That is why they could be interesting characters

if the writers play their cards right.

I personally would love to see them be

villains that try to take over Equestria

everyday.

Yeah the evil schemes of DT and SS in their 

attempts to take over Equestria.

Epic idea!!,in my opinion

I don't know if these characters are underrated,but

i like them,even though they are jerks.

Silver Spoon is so cute and I love that character. Her glasses are adorable as wellI just wish she wasn't mean. But that is the reason I believe she will find redemption. See, my theory is that the Silver Spoon was bullied when she was younger because of her glasses and had no friends. So the only reason she is friends with Diamond Tiara is that she had no friends, but Diamond Tiara doesn't care about Silver Spoon as a friend and has been a bad influence on Silver Spoon. But Silver Spoon is nice on the inside. Remember in the episode, Family Appreciation Day, at the end Silver Spoon applauds Granny Smith's story before being scolded be Diamond Tiara. My proof.

• Brohoof 2

Does Rarity count? Last time I checked, she had the lowest score in the "who's your favorite mane 6 pony" poll. I feel a lot of people are pushed away by her girlishness, but I find her to be one of the most complex characters. 

Also, what about Caramel? I don't really know much about him, but I included him in a fanfic.

48792+-+caramel+embarrased+sad+vector.pn

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Underrated? Oh, that's Applejack by a country mile. Some fans seem to have an automatic vendetta against characters who are "country" and that's just not fair. Then she gets labeled as "boring" because she just so happens to round out the gang by being the sensible one. And don't even get me started on the asinine claims that she hasn't developed or learned anything. Oh, please no.

But since AJ is a main character and does get some appreciation by default, let's venture into the secondary characters that need more love.

Cheerilee, while not incredibly strong in personality, has still had her moments and plays a great role. Besides, Nicole Oliver really nails her voice and brings forth a lot of cheerful energy. Love her design too.

Zecora is also underrated. I just love her design as well as her African culture, and any character who speaks in rhymes is quite creative. And unlike most supporting characters, Zecora has really made herself useful on more than one occasion.

I'm also a big fan of Cranky Doodle Donkey for his masculine voice, droopy ears, and his grumpiness that just makes me want to hug the old fella.

And with all the Trixie love, I'm awfully surprised a certain pegasus doesn't get more love as an antagonist.

img-1422206-1-640px-Determined_Lightning

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 9

The spa ponies with the straight hair. Do not know their names, but I remember liking them every time they made an appearance.

You are referring to the spa ponies, Aloe and Lotus. Yeah, I like them too, not really my favorites, but they're pretty nice. I love their names though. 

• Brohoof 2

I agree with CrazytheRandompony about Silver Spoon and diamond Tierra. I wonder what made DT so mean. Her father seems nice enough. He was civil with Granny Smith and he does business with the Apples. I would like to see a storyline wherein Diamond Tierra shows an interest in the family business and Filthy Rich decides to give her some small responsibilities. She finds a way to shirk her responsibilities and bully others into doing her dirty work, but it all backfires and she learns a lesson about business ethics. This could be a turning point in her character.

And I totally agree that Silver Spoon is just intimidated by Diamond Tierra and afraid of becoming unpopular. She actually has a lot in common with Babs.

I also agree that Pipsqueak is awesome. :)

• Brohoof 2

I have a few. Behold the two best background ponies!

wing_hugs_by_joeyh3-d5gz1c8.png

Yes, Cloud Kicker and Blossomforth. In spite of never receiving even a fraction of the fanart/fan music that other characters such as Lyra and Derpy have, their fanon personalities are uniquely lovable and wonderful. They can't compete with canonical characters of course, but I do enjoy them a lot.

Also as Sugar Cube said, Lightning Dust.

lightning_dust___all_flash__no_substance

Trixie seems to be the de facto pony that people think of as far as minor antagonists are concerned, but Dusty is much more interesting to me as a character than Trixie ever was. I wouldn't mind seeing her get a bit more attention, although there is a possibility of that becoming reality if she makes an amazing return in Season 4. 

• Brohoof 7

Well, I like quite a few of them, but a top favourite of mine is Twist. She needs more love.

Besides, she has the best glasses. Ever. 

I also really love Blossomforth. I'm glad she was brought back from G3.   She has such a pretty toy, and I remember being very happy when I was able to buy it. And, boy, when she was on the show, I squeeeeeeeee'd so hard.
Her hair is so cool! Heck, even though her toy was a Fluttershy-eyed Rainbow Dash recolour, I still liked that version of her, too. 

( I had pictures to put...But it won't let me use them..)

• Brohoof 1

196895__safe_spike_screencap_cute_spike-

If you ask me, the king of underrated characters in this series is Spike. No contest. 

The majority of the fandom either doesn't care about him or just hate him. He is THE misfit character in this series, a lone dragon in a world of ponies. Sometimes I feel so bad for him, He seriously needs better character development. 

I could say more but I'm tired

• Brohoof 11

196895__safe_spike_screencap_cute_spike-

If you ask me, the king of underrated characters in this series is Spike. No contest. 

The majority of the fandom either doesn't care about him or just hate him. He is THE misfit character in this series, a lone dragon in a world of ponies. Sometimes I feel so bad for him, He seriously needs better character development. 

I could say more but I'm tired

I want to like him more. After all, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have started watching the show. It's just that the writers always portray him in the worst ways.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Underrated? Oh, that's Applejack by a country mile. Some fans seem to have an automatic vendetta against characters who are "country" and that's just not fair. Then she gets labeled as "boring" because she just so happens to round out the gang by being the sensible one. And don't even get me started on the asinine claims that she hasn't developed or learned anything. Oh, please no.

But since AJ is a main character and does get some appreciation by default, let's venture into the secondary characters that need more love.

Cheerilee, while not incredibly strong in personality, has still had her moments and plays a great role. Besides, Nicole Oliver really nails her voice and brings forth a lot of cheerful energy. Love her design too.

Zecora is also underrated. I just love her design as well as her African culture, and any character who speaks in rhymes is quite creative. And unlike most supporting characters, Zecora has really made herself useful on more than one occasion.

I'm also a big fan of Cranky Doodle Donkey for his masculine voice, droopy ears, and his grumpiness that just makes me want to hug the old fella.

And with all the Trixie love, I'm awfully surprised a certain pegasus doesn't get more love as an antagonist.

img-1422206-1-640px-Determined_Lightning

Lightning Dust had a nice design. I do wish to see more of her, preferably as a villain.

Edited by Lord Magnus
  • Brohoof 3

The dood with half of his MOUSTAAAACHE! gone was a great way to set the tone for the series, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of him in a background role.  Maybe at a party Rarity throws or something.

• Brohoof 1