Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which of your senses would you be willing to give up?

Tual

I'm curious. Which of the five senses would you guys be willing to give up, or lose, if something happened? 

Y'know: Sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. Those ones. 

Smell. I need the rest. But smell affects taste... D: Touch, I guess. Could I still type, I wonder... Something to ponder. But seriously, I would pick NONE if I could, lol.

(edited)

Smell and taste go extremely well with each other, but if I had to choose I would lose my sense of smell. Than you would still have some ability to taste, and wouldn't have to smell smelly smells that smell...smelly. 

But don't get me wrong, smell is very important in many ways.

Edited by Assassin✮Derpy
  • Brohoof 2

I'd lose my sense of smell if absolutely necessary. While it does affect taste, it is one of the least crucial sense to my day to day functioning. However, losing any senses would invariably be horrible.

I've read that smell is the sense most closely connected with memory, and those who lose their sense of smell have a higher rate of depression than those who lose others. I love my sense of smell! I might have to go with taste, although blind people are able to live pretty fulfilling lives... . Man, that's a tough one. I'm so visually, and sound oriented...  but I love cooking and eating too... and losing touch sensetivity would be dangerous...

I don't think I'd be able to choose in all honesty.

Even though each sense has it downside, those downsides are there to protect the body and keep it from getting destroyed too much. :|

If I had to pick the lesser of the five evils, it'd have to be smell. 

I'd go with taste. I can get the tasting with scents. ;P Taste really only has four zones or something like that anyway. The higher order feels come from the nose. lolz. 

I certainly wouldn't give up touch. Could you imagine getting cut and having no idea? 

Tough decision, but realistically I'd choose to lose smell. It seems like the least necessary for survival except for taste, but I love food way too much to let taste go. I have a friend who was born with no sense of smell and he isn't any different from the rest of us like you would be without sight or hearing or anything.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely the ability to smell. I would miss it, but if I lost the ability to see and/or hear, I'm fairly certain that's one of those things that would push me over the edge and make me seriously consider suicide.

I would say smell because though being able to smell things nice and I would miss it it is probably the least important of all the sense and would thus be less devastating losing that than any of the others.

Either smell, because I feel it serves a smaller purpose than the rest, or touch. If I got rid of touch I probably wouldn't be able to feel pain either. That could be dangerous, but pain is annoying.

I think I could live without the sense of touch, honestly. As long as I could still keep sight, sound, taste, and smell. I think I could still survive just fine without touch. The other senses seem more vital and important.

Wouldn't really be willing to give up any of them, to be honest. But it's positively mandatory that I retain hearing; if my ability to enjoy music dies, then I die with it.

Sight would also be a must-have since I couldn't fathom having to poke around with a cane, read braille and be led around by seeing eye dogs for the rest of my life (I don't say this disparagingly of course, I greatly respect blind people who are strong enough to cope and continue being well-adapted members of society).

I wouldn't want to lose touch, either. It'd be nice not to feel physical pain anymore, but to never feel pleasure? I'd forever kiss my love life goodbye.

So I guess if I had to choose between letting go of smell or taste, it'd be taste. As much as I love food, I wouldn't want to lose smell, the sense most strongly linked to memory. Besides, I think it'd increase my health, for once eating became pleasureless it would greatly help to stave off the temptation to eat the (oh-so-delicious) garbage that I quite often do.

• Brohoof 1

well, like everyone else, i would also choose smell.

not only because you can get along pretty well without it, but there's seriously some things in this world i would prefer NOT to smell.

I would give up the sixth sense :3

Just kidding, although I think you could tell... Anyways, here's my reasoning:

Sight is a great thing because it allows you to detect the world to very minor detail, and enjoy things like the beautiful sights of nature. There fore I would keep it.

Hearing is a great hint because you can hear people talking, and (my favorite benefit) listen to music. Therefore I would keep it.

Touch is good because: It helps you tell what things are made of, it allows you to feel pain (which is important because pain warns you that harm is there), and it lets you feel how fluffy your kitten is :D And since I love soft kittens I would keep it.

Smell is good because: It enhances your taste, it lets you smell fire which helps a lot, and you can tell if food has gone bad. Even though there are bad smells too, I would keep smell.

Taste is okay because you can enjoy food and tell if food is not good. However, you can also tell how bad food is with smell, and the sensation of good taste can drive you to eat junk food. Therefore, I would give up taste. What to you think of my reasoning?

Like everyone else, smell. The others would just be too different. At least if I lost taste I could eat any food and not care. It would probably make me healthier if I lost taste, actually.

I would give up taste. I would enjoy all my food through their smell alone. Plus I could still feel the texture of the food right? I definitely need to see and hear and touch so... taste it is!

I was thinking taste. But after tossing up, I think smell would be wiser.

I'd rather be able to get some amount of flavour from non aroma foods than to never taste them again. Like ice cream ):

Smell for sure. My nose hardly works half the time and usually only when something smells really bad or weird things. Like for example I can stand the smell of canned Tuna where most hate the smell. All the other senses are far more important in my book.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

All of these are pretty vital, smell is rather linked with taste and I would hate to be thrown into a world of blandness. Touch is something rather important for survival purposes and it being absent makes you feel like a ghost. My hearing is one of my most cherished senses and sight, well, I don't think I need to go into how useful seeing is.

If I had to choose one sense to drop, it would have to be sight. Of course it would be a big loss, but I cherish the other senses too much to sacrifice them and I'd be willing to adapt to keep those ones. Taste keeps things interesting and fresh and I would hate to live in a world without ambient sound and music.

Edited by Celtore

I already have horrible eyesight, and often experience headache and pain from bright light, so I guess if I had to be separated from anything I'd choose my sight. I would still be able to do pretty much everything I already do. Though horseback riding blind... that sounds terrifying as a concept alone so Idk if I'd be able to continue that :(

I love this question! I'd definitely choose taste, though I wonder how that would effect my sense of smell. It really is a hard one choosing between taste and smell but scents bring back old memories better than anything else. I don't think I could give that up.

• 9 years later...
On 2013-04-30 at 9:00 PM, Retro*Derpy said:

Smell and taste go extremely well with each other, but if I had to choose I would lose my sense of smell. Than you would still have some ability to taste, and wouldn't have to smell smelly smells that smell...smelly. 

But don't get me wrong, smell is very important in many ways.

Coming back to this, I got covid early in 2020 and lost my smell/taste for about 6 months. I ate a lot healthier, but you'll really miss the sensation.