Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was Cadence turned into an alicorn but not Fluttershy? *Spoilers*

100 beasts kaidou

Here's why Cadance and not Fluttershy. In the book when Cadance tells her story, it is stated that Cadance was a very special filly, whose love and compassion for others filled everypony else with warmth and the urge to protect her. The evil enchantress Prismia wore a necklace, which amplified her negative and evil feelings, but as Cadance was "fighting" her, the close proximity to the necklace also amplified Cadance's "power of love", which is why she was able to defeat Prismia. I believe, that as her power was amplified, it created a completely new magic inside her, namely "love-magic", which caused her transformation into an alicorn. Exactly like Twilight's ascension was caused by the creation of new magic, as Celestia stated at the end of Magical Mystery Cure. I think that this new magic Twilight created would be best discribed as "friendship-magic". So the ascension of Cadance wasn't because she reformed a villain, but because she created new magic! That's why Fluttershy reforming Discord didn't cause her to become an alicorn, because she didn't create new magic in the process.

Makes you wonder, though. What kinds of magics did Celestia and Luna create to become alicorns? My bet is on something along the lines of "solar-magic" for Celestia and "lunar-magic" for Luna :) Would also explain their ability to raise the celestial-bodies of day and night.

wait so is Cadence an orphan?! Dafuq??

THERE ARE SO MANY QUESTIONS AND I REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED THIS STUPID BOOK.

Remember when you only had to watch the show?

Well, I was gonna say something, but this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

And don't forget the recent rumor that Fluttershy was going to lose her WINGS in season 4.

I will kill someone if Fluttershy loses her wings.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I was gonna say something, but this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

I will kill someone if Fluttershy loses her wings.

Wasn't that a joking rumor about how Twilight Sparkle was going to get her wings? I swear I might have made that one up. Anyway, Fluttershy is best pony. 

Sigh, guess it's time to go all ebook on that thing then to see what the crack is -.- I'm still keeping show canon separate from the rest of the 'official' stuff anyway.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't want our Fluttershy to have wings removed (which will never happen, seriously) or for her to grow a lump on her head. She's too good for that sort of thing!

Anyway, I'm assuming that it's mainly just due to simplified story telling to sell a small book to a young audience. All of these different media types are never going to match up properly or make perfect sense when put together. Hell, the show sometimes fails at that with just itself :P

Why didn't Twlight become an alicorn as soon as she redeemed Nightmare Moon? I haven't heard of this book, and I kinda don't think it's canon. If it is canon, it's fail canon

Because she didn't "redeem" her. She just used the elements of harmony on her. There was no becoming friends or anything. The magic just restored her to how she had been before she went all crazy.

• Brohoof 1

Ow... my brain. So wait... what?! Cadence wasn't born an alicorn? I'm going to need a second to recover from this blink.png .

Alrighty then... I still agree with the writers even if this is how it happened. Fluttershy should not be an alicorn, and most certainly not a princess. 

I don't think Fluttershy would have any idea what to do with that amount of power. Like Twilight with the spell, Cadence becoming an alicorn was probably based off of quite a few things. She probably had to have the innate personality for it, then she had to master some feats of magic, and then finally when she fully understood the concept of love, she transcended. But... you're right, I can justify it but it really is a major plot hole, or so it seems.

Ow... my brain. So wait... what?! Cadence wasn't born an alicorn? I'm going to need a second to recover from this img-1427845-1-blink.png .

Alrighty then... I still agree with the writers even if this is how it happened. Fluttershy should not be an alicorn, and most certainly not a princess. 

I don't think Fluttershy would have any idea what to do with that amount of power. Like Twilight with the spell, Cadence becoming an alicorn was probably based off of quite a few things. She probably had to have the innate personality for it, then she had to master some feats of magic, and then finally when she fully understood the concept of love, she transcended. But... you're right, I can justify it but it really is a major plot hole, or so it seems.

Innate personality? By that do you mean the complete and utter lack of any personality whatsoever? That's odd because even Celestia has a crapton more personality than Cadance. 

Oh Gawd, the text! It isn't Italic! It's the end times!

But in all seriousness, I've been meaning to read the book as well.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Celestia having groomed Twilight since Day 1. It implies that Twilight only became an alicorn because she knew the right ponies and that she was just checking items off Celestia's list. I like to think that the Universe was all "It's Ascendin' Time!" and Celestia just sensed it in the Force and went ahead to meet Twilight in the Plasma Screen TV Dimension instead of just having her plan everything.

I think your mostly right. To a certain extent it was shown that Twilight and the others were destined to be the Elements in Cutie Mark Chronicles. We know destiny is a part of Equestria from that episode and Magical Mystery Cure. It is also very highly suggested through visuals and theme that Celestia was helping a process along and not dictating it. The magic that transformed Twilight came from within her and was of her color not Celestia's. The theme was one of growth and motherly support. Celestia guided her toward the right path as any teacher would, but it was Twilight who managed to get there.

thats an interesting question, i think however the answer is, celestia had more of a use for candance in the long run because she knew cadence would rule the crystal empire one day, like she knew twilight would reunite the elements of harmony, thats the only thing i can think of, that or they just needed an episode and said, "lets have fluttershy reform discord" and they did not think about it in the long run. 

~Luna Forever 

Innate personality? By that do you mean the complete and utter lack of any personality whatsoever? That's odd because even Celestia has a crapton more personality than Cadance. 

Just because they haven't shown all aspects of her personality doesn't mean they don't exist. When it comes down to it, we don't know Cadence well enough to assume much about her. We've had plenty of episodes that portray Fluttershy, it isn't really fair to compare that against almost zero context.

Besides, I'm not saying what she does, or does not have what I was trying to explain was what I believe it takes to be an alicorn and a princess and that Fluttershy isn't a good candidate for it.

• 8 years later...

*Enters thread*

*Slowly backs away*

No but seriously. Princess Cadence is a Princess, and an Alicorn. That is, you know, what the show said in Season 2? I don't care about books or fanfiction.

From some random MLP wiki out there:

Cadance spreads love wherever she goes, while a brief scene shows Cadance casting a spell that quells an argument between Lucky Clover and Wild Fire.

Very useful for redeeming villains like Discord. However, the same wiki states she was a Pegasus before, so, no magic. But she wasn't that old when she was Twilight's foal-sitter? So she became an Alicorn when being a filly then? Why do I have a hard time believing that?

Spoiler

Cadance_and_filly_Twilight_chanting_S2E2

Looks like an Alicorn to me. So she turned into one at the age of?

Fluttershy isn't strong enough to be an Alicorn in my opinion. She's too afraid to work out conflicts with more than one pony at a time.

The magic that makes one an alicorn is mysterious, but one thing is certain - it is not redeeming anyone that makes one an alicorn, at least not on it's own. There's more to Cadence's alicornship than just redeeming a villain.

I don't think it matters.

Cadence was an ascended alicorn; she may or may not have been a pegasus pony first (we know that pegasus ponies CAN ascend, as Cozy Glow becomes one temporarily after absorbing Discord's power)

Twilight was an ascended alicorn; she was a unicorn first, and was able to use alicorn magic before ascending, in an episode that ended with Celestia and Luna discussing the path Twilight was on, while holding a book that we would see again later - one with a star swirl on the cover, and containing starswirl the bearded's unfinished spell.

Cadance was already an alicorn by the time she foalsat Twilight, and was at the time the only other alicorn known to exist except for Celestia herself; she is the (adoptive?) niece of Celestia.

Flurry Heart was the first pony to be BORN an alicorn that Celestia and Luna know of.

aaaaand - that's all we know of that is canon.

[]

Could Fluttershy ascend? almost certainly, if Celestia wanted that to happen. Ditto, Starlight Glimmer. But as of the end of G4, Celestia hadn't chosen to do so, and there would be no particular reason for that as neither candidate was niece of or student of Celestia.   Possibly Twilight could, assuming she learns how, and the candidates haven't died of old age before she does.

More importantly, could Discord cause Fluttershy to ascend? That's an interesting question given Cozy Glow's progression, but they showed no sign of having done so as of the end of G4 either.

But regardless of those possibilities, unless Hasbro choose to return to the G4 universe, there is little or no chance of that progression becoming canon.  Fluttershy (or other characters, including background ponies) becoming alicorns is not uncommon in fan fiction, though, so if you really want to go down that path....

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Why was Cadence turned into an alicorn but not Fluttershy? *Spoilers*
  • 1 month later...

The thing about people talking about her redeeming discord is, you would have to be the prince/princess of something. Twilight mastered friendship, meaning it's going to be harder for someone else to become a prince/princess of friendship.