Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do we only see mostly fillies (girls) in Equestria?

Paianis

(edited)

Well I know the mane six are "respectable women" and that the intro appears to show both genders at work, but there are many instances, where we see a vast proportion of ponies on screen, and most of them are girls. I'm going to cite a couple of songs as examples of this: the 'Smile Song' and 'Winter Wrap Up'. Was there any reason from a writing point of view why there had to be a gender bias? Or, was it just to make life easier for animators? I thought I'd bring this up anyway.

Edited by Paspie

I'd chalk it up to the simple fact that the show was originally marketed towards girls. Remember, the emergence of bronies completely caught Faust and Hasbro by surprise. Had they anticipated such a broad audience inclusive of males from the very start, there would probably be a great deal more colts n' stallions trotting about Equestria.

But now that the brony culture is fully known to the creators and writers, who knows, perhaps we'll start to see quite a few prominent and interesting male characters crop up.

• Brohoof 2

The same reason Shows aimed at males make their females a sex toy with no brains (not all shows do this btw) and focus all the character devolopment on the boys. trust me while girl fans could make the writers of their show make more screen time for the females but thats because most shows aimed at boys also is aimed at girls at the same time while only few shows that were aimed at girls also was aimed at boys (such a ppgs)

• Brohoof 1

Well here's a question. Now that the show HAS a large brony demographic and now that we know who some of these characters are. Do we have as fans expect more appearance BY these charcters or do we not really care?  While it could be cool to see Braeburn, Thunderlane, or Steroid Pony i think we would be much more thrilled with a Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, or Lyra apperance. Right?

Let's face it i think as males we want to see our pretty little ponies on the show cause we identify more with them then the male characters who are a bit less interesting. OR do you disagree..

Well here's a question. Now that the show HAS a large brony demographic and now that we know who some of these characters are. Do we have as fans expect more appearance BY these charcters or do we not really care?  While it could be cool to see Braeburn, Thunderlane, or Steroid Pony i think we would be much more thrilled with a Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, or Lyra apperance. Right?

Let's face it i think as males we want to see our pretty little ponies on the show cause we identify more with them then the male characters who are a bit less interesting. OR do you disagree..

actually I think Roid pony is more intresting than half of the back ponies because while he is a pegasus he is stronger than any earth pony, I have this headcanon that He wanted to be a wrestler but society preassured him to try out to the wonderbolts. also Lyra is overrated and the only intresting thing in her is the human fanon which can never be canon. and ocavia and Vinyl are only for music acts and should stay that way

I'd chalk it up to the simple fact that the show was originally marketed towards girls. Remember, the emergence of bronies completely caught Faust and Hasbro by surprise. Had they anticipated such a broad audience inclusive of males from the very start, there would probably be a great deal more colts n' stallions trotting about Equestria.

But now that the brony culture is fully known to the creators and writers, who knows, perhaps we'll start to see quite a few prominent and interesting male characters crop up.

Discord

Sombra (YMMV)

Shining Armor

Spike episodes

more Big Mac

really there're a lot more male characters since S1

and that's not counting all the one episode characters like Iron Will

True, but s

Discord

Sombra (YMMV)

Shining Armor

Spike episodes

more Big Mac

really there're a lot more male characters since S1

and that's not counting all the one episode characters like Iron Will

True, but they're still quite a minority by comparison to all the female characters, which I think is what the OP was really getting at.

(edited)

Because long ago, when Harmony was first achieved in Equestria, the pimps who ruled the land understood pimping would be hard if there weren't many mares, so they made the ratio about 10 mares to one stallion or something similar.

Edited by Pathogen
  • Brohoof 2

The show was originally intended for girls so naturally there would be a huge chunk of the characters in the show made female.  There are quite a bit of males in the show, that just don't get put in the spotlight nor do they get put in the background.  

The show might have the spotlight shared with males and females in the show but, I think it is because in the show most of the main characters and background characters are female but we see them appear more in the show.

Because Equestria was founded as a polygamist society where Celestia decreed that every stallion be given ten mares as wives. No seriously look it up, it is in the pony bible in all seriousness though I just chalk it up to Hasbro probably thinking that mares/fillies would be viewed as cuter/more marketable than colts/stallions. But with the brony audience rising up we might see a few more colt/stallion's so who knows.

as some have said already, in all likelihood, it's meant to appeal to the target audience. there could also be a marketing angle to it. since the idea is to sell colorful pony toys, you can't really use males since they tend to go for more muted colors. to the best of my memory, most of the guy ponies in the show are muted in color

Because long ago, when Harmony was first achieved in Equestria, the pimps who ruled the land understood pimping would be hard if there weren't many mares, so they made the ratio about 10 mares to one stallion or something similar.

actually yeah I could see Discord doing something like that

sure Celestia says it was a terrible time, but that's just because the johns preferred Luna