Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Staffer!

NewCalamity
Message added by Simon,

Heads up: this thread is to ask whatever sorts of questions you may have to staff, but this is not the right place to give actual feedback or more serious questions for the staff. Anything posted here is subject to receive a silly response!

To send the site positive or negative feedback, try making a thread in the Feedback forum.

For questions or technical issues about MLPForums, check out the Site Questions forum.

Or if you have an issue best discussed in private, consider submitting a support ticket here.

Horror Movies? I have a fondness for old black & white horror movies, ones that would be considered silly today. Nosferatu and the like.

I don't play horror games much, unfortunately, but I did like the original Silent Hill.

My deepest fear is more a phobia than anything....

Long, long time ago (about forty years ago give or take so I was about... eight?), I went to Disneyworld. It was fun, but I was into Sci-Fi more than anything so I wanted to do Space Mountain which was brand new at the time. Unfortunately the rules for roller-coasters at the time meant that I had to take my glasses off. Meaning that basically for the duration of the ride all I saw was blurry yet bright flashing lights and being thrown about and dropped with no references. Ever since I have had a deathly fear of falling. Not of heights or the *potential* of falling, but the *sensation* of falling. I can't do rollercoasters or other rides like that because I lock up and all my muscles contract. On occasion I used to try to do rollercoasters, usually because a girlfriend wanted it, and when I was in my mid-twenties and was a heavy-eventer (caber toss, hammer throw, that kind of thing) I actually got banned from a fair in Ontario because I bent the safety bar I was holding onto.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got an audio drama that needs work and I need to find some people to help create it with me. Yes it's an MLP audio drama I plan on posting on YouTube, but I don't know how to get the word out. Which thread do I post it on, specifically?

On 4/23/2017 at 0:34 AM, IsraelYabuki said:

I've got an audio drama that needs work and I need to find some people to help create it with me. Yes it's an MLP audio drama I plan on posting on YouTube, but I don't know how to get the word out. Which thread do I post it on, specifically?

Because this thread is asking for assistance regarding a project, it should be placed under the section of Ovtavia's Hall under the subcategory of Trixie's Tricks. The reason for creating it in that said subcategory is because it does not qualify as music, video, etc. It is in its own realm.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:10 PM, Jeric said:

Were any Bothans killed during the upgrade?

No one survived.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2017 at 3:13 PM, Stormfury said:

Fig bars or wheat wafers?

Actually I prefer oat biscuits, but they're annoying to find in this area.

3 hours ago, Coffee said:

When was the scariest moment in your life? 

That's a hard one, mainly because the more recent ones are clearer in my mind, but the oldest one had the most effect on me.

The old one... well, back when I was really little (about 7 or 8) we went to Disney World in Florida. I was really into sci-fi at the time, avid Doctor Who and Star Trek fan, Starlost, the Six Million Dollar Man, Space 1999, that kind of thing. It was the 70's, Star Wars hadn't happened yet. Anycase, it was the first year for Space Mountain, the indoors rollercoaster, and I *had* to go on it and I was technically tall enough. But they made me take off my glasses so they wouldn't fly off during the ride. So I basically went through the ride half-blind, only able to see blurry flashing lights and randomly being thrown about only barely staying in the car by holding on to the safety bar for dear life. Ever since I have problems with falling. Not heights or vertigo or anything like that, just the *sensation* of falling any significant distance. My body completely locks up, and given that later, in my 20's I was a heavy eventer (caber toss, hammer throw, farmer's walk, and so on) I was... capable of damaging the equipment at carnival rides. I was banned from several places when I tried to take on my phobia head on.

The newest one is a bit sillier. A little less than 10 years ago I was a performer, doing stage combat for plays, student films, and events like ren faires. Boxing, wrestling, swordfighting, etc. Not real fighting, but the choreographed stuff. I was doing a Shakespeare festival where the troupe I was in was doing a parody play as if I, as Shakespeare, was writing something live with audience participation with lots of fighting and murder and nonsense as you would expect. We weren't on stage, but on a field because we actually had horses for the knights to do 'realistic' battle scenes. The end of the 'play' was pre-written unlike the rest of it, where I (Shakespeare) would get so frustrated at the whole thing because the 'actors' were messing up constantly that I would grab a spear myself, run out onto the field and 'kill' everyone. Because that's the way a Shakespeare play *ends* dammit! ;) Except when I did, my foot went down a rabbit hole we hadn't noticed before. I fell forward and followed my stage combat training to twist around so I landed safely on my back. Except my leg, caught in the hole, didn't turn with me. Instead it folded the wrong way and the ligaments in my knee snapped. Didn't feel it so I tried to stand up, and fell over again. My leg was bent in a completely unnatural way and it terrified me because *I couldn't feel it*. I had to have surgery to be able to walk again, and had to give up performing for the most part. I still tried to do a few shows after the surgery, but it's hard to do stage combat if you can't jog or do hard turns.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Coffee said:

^ How are you so good at telling stories?!  X3 

What kind of foods do you like? 

It's one of the side effects of rapidly approaching my first half-century. Wait until I get near my third or fourth, *then* the stories will get interesting. :orly: Mainly because I'll be just as surprised as you are.

I like a wide variety of foods. I like meat pies, but not the ones you regularly get in the US as those tend to be more gravy than pie. I prefer the dry ones like tourtiere, Melton Mowbray, steak and kidney pie, bridies and pasties, so on and so forth. :) Stuff I can pack so I can spend the day out in the fields or in the woods doing whatever rather than stuff you have to make a production out of.

• Brohoof 1

Y'know I never tried meat pies... They just don't serve'em around here... It's all just fruit pies... 

What would you say is an average day in your life? 

52 minutes ago, Coffee said:

Y'know I never tried meat pies... They just don't serve'em around here... It's all just fruit pies... 

Let's see: 

4:30 am, start the process of waking up.

5:00 am: Go outside to move the sheep and horses to their correct pasture for that day. Feed and water those who are on stall rest for whatever reason, and give morning grain and medication to the retired Belgian with arthritis.

6:00 am:  Have a shower, and eat breakfast. Feed the dog and cat.

6:30 am: Log on to work (Microsoft) and check what blew up overnight. Or on certain days, drive into the office (2 hours one way).

7:00 am - 5:00 pm: have pointless meetings preventing me from actually getting any work done.

5:00 pm: On certain days, drive back home (2 hours), otherwise clean livestock stalls (shovel manure, add sawdust if necessary). Feed and water the whole barn, including evening medication for the retired Belgian. 

7:00 pm: Feed the dog and cat again. Have dinner with wife, and watch some TV.

9:00 pm: Work on hobby things. Woodworking, drawing, writing, etc. Check forums and various Poniverse social media to see if anything needs my attention specifically.

11:00 pm: Pretend to log off and go to sleep.

1:00 am: Actually go to sleep.

58 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Can you guys help a father out and ban my kid so she will go to bed. :P

Nah, we like her better. ;)

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, Vulcan said:

Go to school from 8:00am to 2:15pm (sometimes 5:30am to 2:15pm), drive home, nap, do homework, eat/shower, visit the internet, and go to bed. I go to school Monday through Friday so I rely heavily on weekends for any free time.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Chatterbox asks.gif i have some questions if you don't mind! i have a special tricky one, listen closely:

imagines that somehow you have the chance to go back in time when you have 7 or 8 years old BUT! you have ALL the knowledge from your current time, like, you are a kid again and live the time when you used to be kid but you retain all your current knowledge, feelings, ideas and memories. What would you do and what would be your plans for the future?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 3:43 PM, SparklingSwirls said:

Is this thread still active? :P 

Well, you have to ask questions for it to be active~!

Just now, SparklingSwirls said:

Balareth just did :orly: 

And you didn't, your argument is...? :maud:

Speaking of Balareth!

On 9/7/2017 at 8:37 AM, Balareth said:

imagines that somehow you have the chance to go back in time when you have 7 or 8 years old BUT! you have ALL the knowledge from your current time, like, you are a kid again and live the time when you used to be kid but you retain all your current knowledge, feelings, ideas and memories. What would you do and what would be your plans for the future?

Ooooh boy, I have a list of things I would do just a little better. Nothing major actually, just small QoL things that would make my teenager years just a little better and less annoying.. and less blargh to even remember. What things? Those are not for the public, sorry :P 

On 9/6/2017 at 11:37 PM, Balareth said:

Chatterbox asks.gif i have some questions if you don't mind! i have a special tricky one, listen closely:

I honestly don't remember much from when I was 8, as that was 41 years ago, so I'm not 100% sure what was going on at the time. Doctor Who had started broadcasting on TV Ontario for the first time, my Uncle introduced me to a brand-new game called Dungeons & Dragons... other than that I'm drawing a blank. 

Given what I know now, I might have aimed at being a teacher instead of an engineer. But that would have changed a lot of things, and kept me from meeting my wife, so no. My life's not perfect, but I'm not going to risk what good there is. :)

2 hours ago, Balareth said:

now i have another question.

would you support that a crazy brony scientist recreate live MLP characters 100% accurate (except on the magic) ?

... as biological organisms, or as android-ish like things? Creating new life-forms is a something I'm not convinced we should be doing at our current state of affairs. Humanity as a whole isn't so good at dealing with stuff like that still. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, Balareth said:

now i have another question.

would you support that a crazy brony scientist recreate live MLP characters 100% accurate (except on the magic) ?

Probably not; though I am curious if you mean as if they are alive, or just mechanical recreations?

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, Lucid_Nightlight said:

Have you ever banned someone you wish you hadn't?

At this point no, but banning someone isn't always so clear-cut. There are some whom I truly want to believe are good people, but either they refuse to budge in how they interact or something else. In the end, when I ban, I don't have second thoughts, That doesn't always make it easy though, but as a member of the staff a line has to be drawn somewhere.