Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Staffer!

NewCalamity
Message added by Simon,

Heads up: this thread is to ask whatever sorts of questions you may have to staff, but this is not the right place to give actual feedback or more serious questions for the staff. Anything posted here is subject to receive a silly response!

To send the site positive or negative feedback, try making a thread in the Feedback forum.

For questions or technical issues about MLPForums, check out the Site Questions forum.

Or if you have an issue best discussed in private, consider submitting a support ticket here.

On 11/10/2017 at 3:55 PM, Hierok said:

What was the most difficult thing you ever had to do here as a staff member?

The most difficultWell...

The staff here usually gets along well enough, yet sometimes... we're only human.  And, as humans, we can get kinda grumpy at each other, and that leads to things like rage quitting, angsty whining, or just a Yellfest.  When those things happen, I do my best to be a voice of reason.  However, sometimes, that voice isn't able to accomplish what needs to be done, and I can make mistakes in judgment just like anyone else.

There was an issue up for debate, not too long ago... and it seemed like folks were so divided over the subject matter (which I shall NOT divulge, Nosy Nellies), that they were going to keep arguing for hours if I didn't try to get cooler heads to prevail.  It took me actively standing up for one of our staffers who seemed to need some support at the time, as their opinion wasn't popular (I didn't care for it either, to be honest - but I hated seeing them getting yelled into a corner), so I stepped in and spoke up, and put in enough of a point to, at the very least, stop the yelling...

Unfortunately, it cost me a dear friend to do so. 

What's worse, I sort of thought it might happen like that, yet I did what I thought was right anyway, because I thought I was helping... yet, it turns out that not only was I losing a friend, but the one I stood up for has yet to actually show me it was worth my efforts.  And as much as I know that sometimes, things get bad... well, shit - in retrospect, I just wish I hadn't done such a thing.

However, this is one of the caveats of Life and living in it... you make choices, and sometimes those choices turn out to be wrong.  Regardless, you have to live with the consequences all the same, soldier on, and hope that things get better someday.  THAT was the hardest thing I've ever had to do here, and believe me when I say that sometimes, helping doesn't always turn out for the best.  It shouldn't DETER you from trying to help - but use this as a cautionary tale of how it can sometimes go very, very wrong.

... I miss my friend...

On 11/10/2017 at 6:36 PM, Balareth said:

Would you support if a mad scientist can create a pony like the show as a living thing?

Well, my answer would depend on circumstances:

Would this 'mad scientist' be creating them to simply exist, or would they have some sort of sinister hidden plot to enslave them somehow?

Would they be sentient and happy, or just dumb shells, meant for looks and not brains?

Would this be completely altruistic, or would this 'mad' scientist be demanding payment for creating these ponies?

Would they actually be able to make canon pones, or are we talking about generic Pony Creator Random Button styles?

Would the scientist still be considered 'mad' if he had her/his own ponies to cheer him/her up?

But, even with all the above being said, I might still give support to a scientist who could bring real-live ponies such as we know to our world... and then, I'd give them flowers so they wouldn't be so 'mad' anymore.  :derp:

(But only if there wasn't some sinister consequence to doing such.)

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

The most difficultWell...

The staff here usually gets along well enough, yet sometimes... we're only human.  And, as humans, we can get kinda grumpy at each other, and that leads to things like rage quitting, angsty whining, or just a Yellfest.  When those things happen, I do my best to be a voice of reason.  However, sometimes, that voice isn't able to accomplish what needs to be done, and I can make mistakes in judgment just like anyone else.

There was an issue up for debate, not too long ago... and it seemed like folks were so divided over the subject matter (which I shall NOT divulge, Nosy Nellies), that they were going to keep arguing for hours if I didn't try to get cooler heads to prevail.  It took me actively standing up for one of our staffers who seemed to need some support at the time, as their opinion wasn't popular (I didn't care for it either, to be honest - but I hated seeing them getting yelled into a corner), so I stepped in and spoke up, and put in enough of a point to, at the very least, stop the yelling...

Unfortunately, it cost me a dear friend to do so. 

What's worse, I sort of thought it might happen like that, yet I did what I thought was right anyway, because I thought I was helping... yet, it turns out that not only was I losing a friend, but the one I stood up for has yet to actually show me it was worth my efforts.  And as much as I know that sometimes, things get bad... well, shit - in retrospect, I just wish I hadn't done such a thing.

However, this is one of the caveats of Life and living in it... you make choices, and sometimes those choices turn out to be wrong.  Regardless, you have to live with the consequences all the same, soldier on, and hope that things get better someday.  THAT was the hardest thing I've ever had to do here, and believe me when I say that sometimes, helping doesn't always turn out for the best.  It shouldn't DETER you from trying to help - but use this as a cautionary tale of how it can sometimes go very, very wrong.

... I miss my friend...

So, your most difficult moments is the moment you debat with other staff? :ooh: I'm sorry for your friend and I hope he will come back for you. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Hierok said:

So, your most difficult moments is the moment you debate with other staff?

It was the moment that gave me the most difficulty, yes... but no, don't come away assuming this happens every time, either.

Usually, there's a bit of lively, yet (mostly) respectful debate among staff, then a consensus is made, and things go well.  The particular time I mentioned was the worst possible moment alone, taken from the time I started here to now - but this was the single moment, not one in a long line of bad arguments.

The staff here has a good cohesion with each other, and we utilize our different viewpoints and personalities to help us determine the best & most fair way to settle things.  As happens in Life, things can get tense sometimes... but the fact that we continue on for AND with each other should show that staff is a team, through and through... 

Well, the truth of the matter, of course, is that we're only human; as far as myself?  I'm just trying to do something to make things better.

Best laid plans, road to Tartarus, dot dot dot.

But please, don't believe for a minute that staff is always arguing - we save that vitriol for MCM, when we ban each other and force our brethren to sing.  B)

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Randimaxis said:

It was the moment that gave me the most difficulty, yes... but no, don't come away assuming this happens every time, either.

Usually, there's a bit of lively, yet (mostly) respectful debate among staff, then a consensus is made, and things go well.  The particular time I mentioned was the worst possible moment alone, taken from the time I started here to now - but this was the single moment, not one in a long line of bad arguments.

The staff here has a good cohesion with each other, and we utilize our different viewpoints and personalities to help us determine the best & most fair way to settle things.  As happens in Life, things can get tense sometimes... but the fact that we continue on for AND with each other should show that staff is a team, through and through... 

Well, the truth of the matter, of course, is that we're only human; as far as myself?  I'm just trying to do something to make things better.

Best laid plans, road to Tartarus, dot dot dot.

But please, don't believe for a minute that staff is always arguing - we save that vitriol for MCM, when we ban each other and force our brethren to sing.  B)

Thanks for clearing that up. I was already wondering why there would be discussion if everytime the computers were thrown out of the window from anger. :D Let me not even begin over the user meetups. :P

• Brohoof 1

Next Question.

Can you tell me 3 videogames of any console and time you would like to see "ponified" ? (like characters are ponies, cannon and/or OC or even the character of the videogame ponified)

now this one is tricky.

select ponies by percentage (like, 20% rarity because she/he is generous, 50% like fluttershy because she/he loves animals etc) to define your wife/husband, girlfriend/boyfriend personality (in case you are single define how he/she would be)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh oh oh I have a question ! :ooh:

This question is for any staffer that can answer :P

@Mentis Soliloquy  maybe you can help :grin:

Why is there so many new user banished ? I feel like the Welcoming Plaza is full of banned user ! Everytime I click on a thread BOOM "Bannished user" ...

...the moon is starting to get overpopulated ! :orly:

Edited by Trotteur Sauvage
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Trotteur Sauvage said:

Oh oh oh I have a question ! :ooh:

This question is for any staffer that can answer :P

@Mentis Soliloquy  maybe you can help :grin:

Why is there so many new user banished ? I feel like the Welcoming Plaza is full of banned user ! Everytime I click on a thread BOOM "Bannished user" ...

...the moon is starting to get overpopulated ! :orly:

Basically if you notice a whole bunch of new users being banished, it usually means there's one person who's trying to evade a ban or a warning by creating a surge of dupe accounts, or less likely it's some weird 'raid' concept where a bunch of people all create accounts at the same time in an effort to troll. It's just one of those things we get in waves. Each time, the person(s) behind it seem to think they're the first one to think of it. They'll eventually get bored and stop, usually when they realize they *weren't* the first to think of it and that it takes a lot more time and effort on their side to create the account than it does for us to banish it. :)

Technically we have the ability to merge dupe accounts, but that's a relatively new feature and it's something of a pain so we only do it when the dupe was done innocently. If it's a malicious dupe, we just banish the dupe, which is a lot easier. Eventually the hope is that the Banished people will also get their profiles hidden and the like, which was an old feature that they took away with the IP.B 4.x upgrade.

• Brohoof 4

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Hello! I'm new to this website, and let me introduce myself 

My name is Matraxial Artemis :derp:

i'm just nopony at there world

but i'm so hype of this website! 

so what are the rules here? 

Edited by Matraxial Artemis
forgot the emoji!

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Matraxial Artemis said:

Hello! I'm new to this website, and let me introduce myself 

My name is Matraxial Artemis :derp:

i'm just nopony at there world

but i'm so hype of this website! 

so what are the rules here? 

Forum rules are located here: https://mlpforums.com/guidelines/

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, PiratePony said:

You guys miss me yet?

As always. <3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 12:40 AM, Twilight-Sparkle17 said:

Is being a staffer more fun or more exhausting?

A little bit of both. It certainly is rewarding and fun keeping things together, but it does orient your time here more towards work than leisure. Or it can at least, I still have fun here.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:40 AM, Twilight-Sparkle17 said:

Is being a staffer more fun or more exhausting?

Yes

I just wanted clarification, but are people who are "banished" actually banned, or is that just a special status we can get?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2013 at 9:00 AM, NewCalamity said:

After a little bit of discussion, we came to the conclusion that making an all-inclusive “Ask a Staffer” thread would be a great opportunity for members to get to know our team! 

How it works:  Anyone may simply ask a question in here, no matter the subject (so long as it remains appropriate of course) and a random staff member will come around to answer you.  The questions can be serious, fun, pertain to certain individual staff members, whatever!  All in the name of getting more familiar with our hard-working staff members.  There’s no telling who’ll be the one to answer your question, as it will simply be answered by whoever is available at the time.

Here is a very handy index in which every staff member who owns their own personal “Ask” thread will be:

MLP Forums Staff:

Moderators:

Admins:

And @The Recherche

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2018 at 6:04 PM, Cwanky said:

I just wanted clarification, but are people who are "banished" actually banned, or is that just a special status we can get?

They are banned.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:26 AM, Totally Nature Tune said:

That list was copied from the old staff index, it's been updated several times over. The OP of this thread should be edited... I'll get to that a little later.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The stench of dead bodies emanated through the air. Troblems sniffed daintily, trying her best to avoid any more of the overwhelming aroma than she could, but the smell was undeniable.

’Tis indeed deceased in here, but perhaps we can bring it back to life. Come one, come all, for the staff is more active now than ever. Let us resuscitate this thread with the vigor and passion it once held! And maybe air it out a bit, for it smells of decay. 

And here’s a meme to ruin your day!

8F64A99E-69BA-495C-83A2-B5E63DDE5556.png

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Lulaypp said:

Any favourite book?

I’m personally partial to Catcher in the Rye, Stranger in a Strange Land, and The Stand.