Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Staffer!

NewCalamity
Message added by Simon,

Heads up: this thread is to ask whatever sorts of questions you may have to staff, but this is not the right place to give actual feedback or more serious questions for the staff. Anything posted here is subject to receive a silly response!

To send the site positive or negative feedback, try making a thread in the Feedback forum.

For questions or technical issues about MLPForums, check out the Site Questions forum.

Or if you have an issue best discussed in private, consider submitting a support ticket here.

Hello! I wanted to ask, will there ever be a "draconequus" rank? That would be cool! 

Only if it comes with chocolate rain. CHOCOLATE RAIN!

*Does not approve of this ship at all* 

I man my own ships sir! Do not cross into my waters or that be an act of war! 

• Brohoof 2

@@Jeric,

Of course! Chocolate rain is a must! Comes in package with free pink clouds, cheese snow and ait-swimming fish. Get yours with a discount by using this promo code: DiscordIsTheBestPrincess  

I or Discord are not responsible for any physical or psychological damage that may be caused by the product. Use to your own discretion.

• 1 month later...

What's the craziest thing you've ever done?

A long, long time ago I was a Chemical Engineering student at the University of Waterloo in Ontario. As part of the program there you go to classes for four months, then you go work for four months for 'job experience', and back and forth. It was the only way I was able to afford my degrees, as my family was poor enough that I couldn't even get student loans. Ended up in my favour as I graduated without debt, but that's not the crazy thing, it's just framing the events and explains why I have such a varied work experience.

As a ChemEng student the kinds of jobs I was able to get during those work terms were... interesting, and because of my situation I took the jobs that none of the other students would do. Ones that could negotiate into hazard pay bonuses.

The craziest one was at the 'Cyanamide' factory in Niagara Falls. I don't think it's there anymore. Cyanamide is a chemical mainly used to pull sulphur from steel during smelting while highly refined versions were used in pharmaceuticals. This place in Niagara Falls was still using an outdated process of production that everyone else had abandoned back in the 1920's because it was too dangerous. They made it by cooking calcium carbide and nitrogen in big standing furnaces. If the nitrogen supply gets plugged up while it's cooking normal air gets in instead. Because it's in Niagara Falls, the normal air is full of water vapor and instead of cyanamide what you get is cyanide and acetylene. Which means the furnace would explode. The lids on these 'pots' were multi-ton concrete and steel disks that would get propelled seventy feet into the air or more. And the factory floor usually had about a hundred of these furnaces going at any one time.

As the student, my job was basically to walk on top of these furnaces with a temperature probe and drop it into each furnace one at a time to see how it was doing. If it was too hot, it meant the nitrogen flow had stopped and the furnace was about to explode and I would use an air horn to let everyone know...

One of my other jobs at that factory was to hunt rats. Because cyanide was a byproduct and was very common, the rats in the factory had become immune to commercially available poisons. And you couldn't use a gun because of the acetylene that was in pockets throughout the factory. So hunting the rats was done with a baseball bat crawling around under the furnaces... which would occasionally explode as before.

And yes, this was all in the mid 80's. It sounds like something from the Victorian era, but it wasn't.

A long, long time ago I was a Chemical Engineering student at the University of Waterloo in Ontario. As part of the program there you go to classes for four months, then you go work for four months for 'job experience', and back and forth. It was the only way I was able to afford my degrees, as my family was poor enough that I couldn't even get student loans. Ended up in my favour as I graduated without debt, but that's not the crazy thing, it's just framing the events and explains why I have such a varied work experience.

As a ChemEng student the kinds of jobs I was able to get during those work terms were... interesting, and because of my situation I took the jobs that none of the other students would do. Ones that could negotiate into hazard pay bonuses.

The craziest one was at the 'Cyanamide' factory in Niagara Falls. I don't think it's there anymore. Cyanamide is a chemical mainly used to pull sulphur from steel during smelting while highly refined versions were used in pharmaceuticals. This place in Niagara Falls was still using an outdated process of production that everyone else had abandoned back in the 1920's because it was too dangerous. They made it by cooking calcium carbide and nitrogen in big standing furnaces. If the nitrogen supply gets plugged up while it's cooking normal air gets in instead. Because it's in Niagara Falls, the normal air is full of water vapor and instead of cyanamide what you get is cyanide and acetylene. Which means the furnace would explode. The lids on these 'pots' were multi-ton concrete and steel disks that would get propelled seventy feet into the air or more. And the factory floor usually had about a hundred of these furnaces going at any one time.

As the student, my job was basically to walk on top of these furnaces with a temperature probe and drop it into each furnace one at a time to see how it was doing. If it was too hot, it meant the nitrogen flow had stopped and the furnace was about to explode and I would use an air horn to let everyone know...

One of my other jobs at that factory was to hunt rats. Because cyanide was a byproduct and was very common, the rats in the factory had become immune to commercially available poisons. And you couldn't use a gun because of the acetylene that was in pockets throughout the factory. So hunting the rats was done with a baseball bat crawling around under the furnaces... which would occasionally explode as before.

And yes, this was all in the mid 80's. It sounds like something from the Victorian era, but it wasn't.

I've asked this question many times to so many people, This is one of if not the best answer I've ever read. X3

• 1 month later...

What do you do when you're sad? o_o 

I just typically find some space I can chill in, and allow myself time either calm myself or fine something that would help me get out of that rut. Sometimes just having time to think can do wonders, or even a simple crude joke from Achievement Hunter helps. :)

• Brohoof 2

When i'm feeling down, I tend to look to taking a nap. Or, i'll ask my friend if he can hang out for awhile and we usually end up watching fail videos on YouTube.

Or, ya know, think of Kakashi.

:proud:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo... do any of you guys have Pokémon Sun or Moon?

I purchased Pokemon Sun. I have actually already completed the game aside from completing the entire dex.

• Brohoof 1

Sooo... do any of you guys have Pokémon Sun or Moon?

Recently bought Pokémon Moon; just haven't had the time and also trying to dedicate time to Uncharted and, eventually, Dishonored.

If  you were to do your life over again, would you change anything?

Probably work on my self-confidence more, and try to be more assertive.

• Brohoof 1

If  you were to do your life over again, would you change anything?

Nope :) Altering the past would change who I am and I like who I am :) I don't want to change who I am ^^

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Id probably spend less time working for money as a teenager and more time going on adventures with friends.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely night time. Far more calming and better for relaxing with music, drawing, games, or reading! :P

What are the best and worst decisions in your life so far?

This is a tough one, and I can say there are a number of things I would like to call my "best" decisions and very few I would call the "worst".

Gotta go with the night time. It's just so much more relaxing for me, and just allows me to enjoy my time. The day is beautiful, but the night is enriching.

Well, depending on how I feel, that can vary from day to day. :P

• Brohoof 1

I made the decision to not wash out a scratch I got from a sick kitten at work which resulted in me coming down with cat scratch fever.

Ok then, well this is interesting. Right on with the questions, ahem from the top!

What will be your guys most favorite horror movies of all time and your horror games?

What is the deepest fear you guys had as a child and if so you overcame it. How do you do overcame it?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok then, well this is interesting. Right on with the questions, ahem from the top!

What will be your guys most favorite horror movies of all time and your horror games?

What is the deepest fear you guys had as a child and if so you overcame it. How do you do overcame it?

I have not actually seen but so many horror movies, but I do really like Scooby Doo if that counts. :P

In terms of horror games though, I have played a tiny bit of the original Amnesia game, but I cannot bring myself to play it for so long. On top of this, it runs like a potato.

Though they are not "horror games" per-say, I have played a ton of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Like, I've played each through at least 3 times. I've played Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, Call of Pripyat, and even the fan made mashup Call of Chernobyl and the leaked Lost Alpha. I have thoroughly enjoy all of them, and there are also a ton of memes to emerge from it:D

I do not recall many of my childhood fears, though fear of needles was one. Overcoming that was as simple as looking at the needle as they poked me, and sticking out my tongue and going "Pbbbt".

The fact that I stared at it once and did this freaked out a nurse one time. 

• Brohoof 1