Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

I wouldn't say judge, but rather I "see" people from their avatars. As stated before, it is a small snapshot of what the user is wishing to see them-self as to others. I don't judge people from their avatar, that is like judging the cover of the book. The only thing I would judge about a user is what is in the post.

No, I don't! I just judge people by their personality, which is their avatar.. wait, nevermind. I DO WORK AT THE LIBRARY!

:D :D :D Also, I judge people by what they post. Outgoing stuff, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

When I see someone posting, I judge them by their avatar. If their avatar is a pony creator image, I immediately direagard their post. Is that bad?

• Brohoof 1

When I see someone posting, I judge them by their avatar. If their avatar is a pony creator image, I immediately direagard their post. Is that bad?

Umm...not the best you can do. I usually read their question then judge them laugh.png .

But seriously, don't jusge somepony by thier avatar, some time the pony creator avatars have the best topics.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not sure what this is doing in this section, but to answer your question I guess it is bad.  TBH, I probably do that myself as well a lot, just automatically, but that doesn't make it right.  Not always, mind you, but sometimes.  That's one reason I like to still drop into the Welcome Plaza every once in awhile; good way to remind myself that I'm here first and foremost because of the amazing and unbiased community we have here where everypony is welcoming and nopony ideally judges somepony based on experience or number of brohoofs, etc.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Umm...not the best you can do. I usually read their question then judge them :lol: .

But seriously, don't jusge somepony by thier avatar, some time the pony creator avatars have the best topics.

Quite the opposite for me. Most of the posts made by people with pony creator avatars, if I even read them, are terrible. Usually filled to the brim with spelling and punctiation errors.

Not sure what this is doing in this section

Bro, I don't even vision.

I've been a bit derpy today, sorry. I've reported it. :)

Edited by Megamare

Quite the opposite for me. Most of the posts made by people with pony creator avatars, if I even read them, are terrible. Usually filled to the brim with spelling and punctiation errors.

Understood, understood. But, did you notice I have a spelling error? All of us make mistakes, and most of time the pony creator avatars are newbies. They are just getting used to things.

I wouldn't say its a good thing really, I think you should still give them a chance really, an avatar doesn't necessarily tell you everything.

I can kinda understand how alot of pony creator avatar's belong to newer members, but disregarding them all means you might miss out on some good ones.

I guess its not a terrible thing, but its not exactly good in my eyes.

• Brohoof 2

Understood, understood. But, did you notice I have a spelling error? All of us make mistakes, and most of time the pony creator avatars are newbies. They are just getting used to things.

Every time I see your username my OCD goes crazy.

From my brain:

Every mark of punctuation gets a space after it.

On topic, it just drives me nuts. The pony creator is for giving artists a rough idea of what you want-not displaying your original character.

As it turns out, we've actually already got a topic for this very subject :D I've merged, 'Is this bad?' with 'Do you judge people by their avatar?'.

• Brohoof 1

For the most part, whichever avatar a person might have won't really change my view of them. Though I'm going to like you a lot more if your avatar is of Pinkie Pie :)

Yes, I do every much actually but I  as well scorn for having a homestuck picture due to the fandoms reputation for being EVERYWHERE 

im not proud of it, but i do. i dont know why im just like ok if they have a girl pony they must be a girl and if they have a boy pony they must be a boy.

I DONT KNOW WHY I DO

I try not to, but realistically I probably do to some degree. If something bugs me about the avatar I will take notice, but I try not to let it influence me. A quality avatar isn't necessarily indicative of a quality member.  Occasionally I worry about others doing the same to me, mostly related to my mood. Prime example is this avvie:

Commanderrr_zps47e2ac97.png

I like it a lot, but I worry about people seeing me as harsh or strict when I'm using it. It actually makes me feel that way too as well. Probably why I try to use the cuter avatars.

I'll admit, if it's a poorly done or low quality avatar, I'll judge a person. Because there's no something that makes me think "bad avatar=bad posts". I don't want to be judgemental like that, it's just natural.

(edited)

It depends on what the Avatar is of. If it is a pony (say mane 6 or secondary characters like Luna) then my first assumption is they share some sort of a quality. If it is an anime character (depending on the character, what they ar from/what they are doing) then I can form a lot of opinions from that.

Perhaps they have an Alucard avvy, that might make me think they like dark themed art/shows. And if I see an Konata avvy, i might think that person is super duper awesome.

Then there is the "weird" avatars that no one knows about...they make me think the person is very random, or unpredictable (Smitty does that to me sometimes wink.png).

But I often try not to judge bad things from avatars. But the worst I think of is when people use the same vector, just a different pony as an avatar. Such as Shrugpony. It tends to make me think the person is a bit unoriginal, even though I don't know that or not.

Edited by Hayze

Yes, I do every much actually but I  as well scorn for having a homestuck picture due to the fandoms reputation for being EVERYWHERE 

To be fair, having a pony avatar usually gets the same amount of scorn for the same exact reason, so I'd hope Bronies wouldn't be attacking you for having Homestuck avatars. That'd be kind of... hypocritical.

I tend to avoid people with generalzoi pony creator avatars and signatures, especially if they're poorly made, lack originality, are darkly colored, etc...