Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

(edited)

Yes, if the person owns an avatar with no background, a pony creator image or a low resolution image, I instantly think that person is incapable of writing quality posts. I usually then disregard that post, as I think it will have some mediocre, unintelligent, poorly-written, and pathetic piece of grammar sentences inside of it.

Do I feel bad for doing this? 

No.

I really do not care about doing this. If you have a problem with me doing this, and fear that I may not read your post - too bad. 

Edited by Lui

I usually judge people by their avatar. I will try to avoid someone who wears grimdark avatar. Also, I won't be so interested at a post posted by someone with weird looking OC on their avatar. It can be a pegasus with extreme black colour, lizard eyes, and is made by Pony creator or whatever.

I, for one, do judge people by their avatar, like everyone else, but only slightly. I usually try to "analyze" their avatars to see what kind of person she/he is. Of course, my assumptions based on a person's avatar aren't bad nor negative, no. I just assume that if a person has a PP avatar he is extroverted, and if a person who has a Fs avatar is shy/introverted. Of course, I don't care if the avatar of a person is depressed or happy. That doesn't really mean much to me (I mean, I do care about it, but I don't "hate" nor "dislike" it). I judge people by their actions and things they say/do.

But, other people, especially the people who are "normal" or who aren't bronies judge other people by their avatars REALLY seriously. Let's say, a person puts on an avatar that is dark, black, depressing and sad. He's expressing what he's experiencing, which is really good imo. BUT, people don't like it very much and just ignore or start hating that person, because his avatar isn't "happy", which implies he's  boring, depressing and a loser. But, if a person puts on an avatar that is colorful, happy, where the atmosphere is "partyish", people are going to be attracted to that person because they'll think that person is super fun, awesome, social, cool and etc. So, what I'm saying that avatars are like an indicator of your personality or mood and all people judge you by analyzing your avatar and people like to see smiles the most while seeing other's avatars.

tl;dr

cpJfd.png

P.S.
My assumptions come from personal experience, other people's experiences and rather close observations on social forums/websites.

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to say that I don't but sometimes there are certain avatars that do make you wonder what the person is actually like. I don't like to judge people that have pony creator avatars, the likelihood is that they just want to show off their character and haven't got the time or skill to create one for themselves.

I think that colour often presents personality, lots of light colours and Pinkie Pie images normally would convey an outgoing and optimistic personality, whereas maybe lots of blacks and dark shades might convey someone who isn't as outgoing. At the end of the day it's a drawn image that might not even be made by them, so I don't think that avatars are indicative of a personality even a lot of people use them that way.

My avatar, I just thought it looked cool...

I always judge people based on their avatar, on any website. I feel that if you put up a picture as your avatar, you liked it enough to put it there (for me to judge) to an extent. I guess that I am alone on that thought though...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Rarely, but I know for a fact that others do it to me. I've always felt the  grimdark community is unfairly judged, much more so than R34.

Edited by Enigma

I wouldn't necessarily say 'judge' as that is a bit of a strong word, 

usually I will make assumptions about the person, but I will not act upon them until I have formed my own opinion through our interactions. For me it isn't just about the avatar though, it's about the whole package, whether they put thought into their posts, the signature, what kind of stuff is in it, the profile, I'll make all kinds of assumptions and I'm not afraid to say it, i'm human. I'll assume things about them from their age, sex, how they write, what they write, everything that a person does.

It's just what I do, my assumptions get proved wrong sometimes, and I can deal with that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe this is a sign that I should change my avatar :DD

But anyway, ones avatar or signature can only tell minor facts, such as interests or favorites, but most of the time, not many. For example, Yulaiyres avatar and sig, they would show that she might favor Princess Celestia, and we can see that the characters are drawn, she might have drawn them herself, for all we know, she could be an artist. But the rest I'm not really willing to bet, as, you know, you can't judge a book by its cover.

Edited by THSHappyFace

No, I don't judge people by their avatars. It doesn't really say anything about the user. What I judge people on is there posts, because their style of writing and their opinions can really tell you something about them!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

No, I don't judge people by their avatars. It doesn't really say anything about the user. What I judge people on is there posts, because their style of writing and their opinions can really tell you something about them!

Well, technically, a user's avatar can help in guessing what the user like. For example, if someone had an avatar of Princess Peach, I could assume they like Nintendo, Mario, or that their favorite Mario/Nintendo character is Princess Peach. Of course, I would just be assuming at this point and wouldn't confirm anything. 

So, an avatar can sometimes give someone an idea of what that user's interests are.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 3

Well, technically, a user's avatar can help in guessing what the user like. For example, if someone had an avatar of Princess Peach, I could assume they like Nintendo, Mario, or that their favorite Mario/Nintendo character is Princess Peach. Of course, I would just be assuming at this point and wouldn't confirm anything. 

So, an avatar can sometimes give someone an idea of what that user's interests are.

I agree with you there. I suppose that an avatar can help you tell a bit of what a person is like, but it should really still be taken with a pinch of salt, as it were. It can't tell you that much though, because without seeing what a person is like through their posts or profile, you still can't really judge what a person is like.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well,yes and no. I never really judge bad things about them. It's like wearing a shirt. If someone comes up to you wherever wearing a Friendship Is Magic shirt, you could maybe guess that this person is a Brony.  If someone comes up to you wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey. You could take a guess that this person is a Baseball fan, and most likely a fan of the Red Sox.

A person's avatar, gives me a glimpse on what this person is into. When people look at my avatar, they could probably tell that I am a fan of Littlest Pet Shop , and that one of my favorite characters is Pepperclark. Just like if the person above me had a avatar and or sig or Rainbow Dash, I could make an assumption, that this person really likes Rainbow Dash.

But, the real way I judge someone is how they react toward others on the site, Punctuation, Writing style, etc.etc.etc.

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly

I'm judging all of you right now.

I'm joking tongue.png .  I don't judge based on peoples avatars, they just let me know what that person is interested in.  If I do any judging, its only positive, such as me liking someones OC or thinking they're awesome for having Spitfire, Soarin or Vinyl Scratch as their avatar among others.  I pay more attention to the content and what the person is like.  The avatar is a bonus.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it just depends on what it is really I guess. If you have something offensive as an avatar than yeah that is something to take notice too. But in all honesty it is hard to judge someone from their avatar. From what someone posts you get a better idea of the kind of person that they are not by a picture. Although mine is just well since I like pinkie pie a lot and my name is Tommy... I thought is was cool to see a picture of Pinkie Pie holding a Tommy Gun :3. Plus 1930's gangsters are awesome so my avatar has a lot of connections about me.

Hmm... I don't really judge people by their avatars. More than anything, I use their avatar to recognize them. I look at avatars more than usenames, so it's how I remember who is who (until I associate the username with the image, anyway).

But as mentioned earlier, I make assumptions that could be unfair. For example, if someone has a poorly drawn OC as their image, I am prone to think the user is a child. But it's not like I think these assumptions are correct; they're more like guesses until I learn about the user.

• Brohoof 1

I don't judge people based on their avatars, though, it does pertain to interests. For example, my avatar shows I like both Pokémon and My Little Pony.

Whenever I enter a thread, my eyes focus solely on the text. I rarely take note of the posters name or avatar unless the post stands out to me.

This thread had me glancing at avatars for a change, but I can't derive anything significant from them. Even if it hints at an interest, I can't determine the what the connection to that interest is. They could be a big fan, someone who found a specific screenshot interesting/amusing, used as a joke to other viewers, and plenty of other possible reasons. Plus, being a fan of something doesn't tell anything either; their reason for liking that character/content/whatever ranges widely.

(edited)

To be honest I do a little bit.

When it's the default avatar I assume the user is new, and if s/he is not, I kinda think they're weird. I mean, why wouldn't you get an avatar?

Pony Generator avatars rub me the wrong way sometimes, especially when the user obviously hit "HQ Download" and then uploaded it without any editing. That leaves it with a whole lot of white space around the pony, who is shrunken down because of the lack of cropping.

But I don't let that bais myself against the user, I guess I just don't expect as much when I see one of those avatars.

More than anything, I use their avatar to recognize them. I look at avatars more than usenames, so it's how I remember who is who (until I associate the username with the image, anyway).

Also, this ^

Edited by Sky Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

I seriously don't think I do. I try to judge people by their posts. If they have a cool/funny avatar, I may like them a little but more, but I won't not like people if they don't have an avatar I like.

Yes, but don't take that answer the wrong way. Only in the terms of if it's kid friendly or not. Likes and dislikes don't have anything to do with it. Also, I judge them if they have selfie pics. I mean seriously! What is the point of taking a picture in the mirror unless it's to take a picture of what you're taking the picture with! SERIOUSLY!!! angry.png

an avatar that stands out helps me remember somepony, but usually not.

If people judged me by my avatar they would assume I was some cute girl who exercises.

I am the complete opposite.

ok I exercise but XD

• Brohoof 1

I do to a certain mesure.  If you have an OC pony avatar and it's a mare, I'll think you're a girl and vice versa.  It's not set in stone though and I will not reference your gender in any way if I didn't check or if you don't tell me.  To be honest, I mostly judge with the username, though it's not much better :\