Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

• 11 months later...

No, I feel it would be quite silly to do so. :adorkable: Though a cute or otherwise impressive avatar is undeniably eye-catching, and avatars here often give some insight to the users' favorite characters. :) But I wouldn't make any further assumptions based on an avatar.

• Brohoof 3

I don't judge people by avatar, but it does have a large impact on my first impression of them, when I have nothing else to go off of yet. If I meet someone with a Nyx avatar, that makes for a great first impression. ;)

For me, an avatar usually tells me what kind of personality somebody has. So I don't directly judge people, but I tend to assume what other people are like based on that. 

I always judge people by their avatar. Seriously. I think the avatar and name is the key factor in someone's first impression. When being online, you gotta go with something to identify a person with.

I just people. I judge their actions. I am fair in my judgement (my opinion). And I am always willing to change my mind about someone or something.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Yes. Yes I do. I judge myself to be a 100% certified snuggle buddy :yay:

On 5/4/2013 at 4:45 PM, ~Starlight~ said:

I always say people are girls because they have Fluttershy as their avatar

Oh... Oh my :blush:

I also judge people by their name, their interests, and their spelling. That's one way of knowing if their avatar can be trusted, you know? :awwthanks:

Someone's avatar is usually an indicator of their interests, and since it is completely admissible to partake in judgment of an individual based upon their own choices, I would say to a degree, it is fair to judge based upon one's choice of an avatar or profile picture. It is after all the image of yourself that you wish to put out there.

To an extent, yes. I've frequently praised other users for having an avatar that I enjoy. I don't really make negative value judgments, unless they have an obviously neo-Nazi image or such. Mostly, I'm indifferent.

Yes, I mean I try not to let it dictate over what they actually say obviously but when i seenlike some “nazi profile pic” I’m just like yea this is someone I’m going to avoid. Regardless if it’s supposed to be satirical. 

And you know sometimes peeps have pics of stuff they’re interested like avatar or pony or Steven Universe. 

Yes kind of :wacko: . But not always, and it may be subtle to none sometimes. Judging is not necessarily a bad thing.

Avatars got lots of personality :secret: .

Edited by WWolf

In terms of negative judging, I’d only judge if the picture was super weird.

As with everything else, the picture usually leads into gender assumption (so if there is a female on an avatar I assume the person is a girl). It’s not always correct, but most of the time pony OCs are the same gender as the person.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, like not really, neat looking avatars or profile pics or whatever you wanna call em usually catch my eyes more often than like stock vectors or whatever of the mane 6 *cough my avatar cough* but in the end to me it doesn't really matter. I judge ponies by what their interests are and how they act here on the forums, not by some silly little picture :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Yes..... If they have a gay avatar i instinctively think they might be gay too. But usually its like that.... So now when i see someone who has an avatar off apple jack or rainbow dash......i get confused.... So i suggest to not think like me, im a professional stupid and I dont know what im doing.:laugh:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 9:26 AM, Fluttershyfan94 said:

I do, often their gender then their personality. The more funny the avatar the more funny the user you know. 

Sooo you are a cute dancing anime girl then? :ButtercupLaugh: