Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

Actually... yes. A little. But I don't judge the member as a person. I kinda glance at the avatar and think of it as a way of expressing their interests. If we have similar interests, I might click on it and read the about me page. If it's some kind creepy picture or something i'm really not into, I probably won't take what they have to say to heart. I know this sounds really mean but, hey, I'm honest right? Go ahead and call me AppleJack wink.png

Plus I assume that anyone with Big Macintosh is an older, heftier guy. I don't really know why, but it's the voice I read the post with in my head. huh.png

Just curious, if you don't know me and glanced at my avatar, which gender do you think I am? Male or Female?

I do, very much so actually. If someone has a crappy looking avatar, I'll tend to think they're not too bright. If they have a really nice looking avatar, they usually come across as at least decently smart. I can also see what interests they may have from their avatar, but I never usually come to a final decision about someone based solely upon what they choose to represent themselves as in an online community. The posts that their avatar is actually displayed next to are quite invaluable as well. Someone who uses horrible grammar and spelling doesn't usually interest me, it may sometimes even tick me off. On the other hand, someone with near perfect grammar, spelling and punctuation is someone I can usually trust to be worthy of my respect.

Similar factors go into deciding whether or not I like an individual I meet in person as well, such as how they look, dress or speak. Judging is something everyone does no matter what they say, though some more than others. It isn't something you can simply put off completely.

Looking at a user's avatar tells me a few things (which may or may not be true) about the user. Usually, this pertains to interests. For example, if the avatar were a canon pony, I'd assume that the pony is the user's favorite. I could make assumptions about the user's personality from there. If he had a Pinkie Pie avatar, for example, I might think he's a hyper, happy individual. People do tend to pick favorites based on how much they can relate, after all. If they had a band, I could assume they like that band and the band's genre. If they had a hammer-and-sickle, I'd make assumptions about their political beliefs. 

To answer your question, I do judge a user to some extent. Since users add their own avatars, there's undoubtedly an element of personality in their avatars. It's impossible to judge a user in his entirety, however, as the avatar is only best used as a snapshot of the personality. For something like that, I'd have to read his profile, view his posts, etc.  

And how would you judge a third gen avie based upon the limited form of judgement. Even then, words written don't always have the same meaning then a face to face situation. But I was just curios still.

And how would you judge a third gen avie based upon the limited form of judgement. Even then, words written don't always have the same meaning then a face to face situation. But I was just curios still.

If someone had a third gen MLP avatar, I would think that they liked G3 ponies (I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the last two sentences). Honestly, as I said, there's no way we can judge anybody's full personality with an avatar alone. An image is, at best, a limited indicator of the user's interests and beliefs (let's face it, would you use an avatar you didn't like?). True understanding is, of course, only achieved through extended exposure. As a snapshot of a person's mind, however, an avatar works very well.

Let's say a user has an avatar of Twilight Sparkle looking promiscuously at the viewer. One might be inclined to think that this user is a fan of Twilight Sparkle, that he can relate to her in many ways, and that he would totally bang her if given the chance (this user is purely hypothetical wink.png ). Details that scratch the surface of one's personality, certainly, but ones can give others a rough idea of what the user's interested in. IMO, that's enough to begin forming opinions about a user, even if digging deeper is required to create a more complete picture.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I take Form post as Gender Neutral untill they indicate or specificly state what they are.   Avatars are a secondary thing I notice and don't really have any basis on how I judge that person.  I see it,  Then I'll Laugh or Sigh or go WTF? or meh...  Some Intrest me enough I'll Visit their Profile.

SOME of my favorites that come to mind atm,  are 

Sir.Flutter Hooves  "great Scot!"

Slainna  "stand back! I'm going to try science"

Evilshy  "those Eyes!!"

And Sadly I can't find the other ones I wanted to list here or they changed thier avatar.  (seriously, I just spent 30 min just now broswing thru past threads I have read, LoL.)

If I come acros them in the near future I will try to remember to give them the credit they deserve in this post!

Edited by ShadowRose2k
  • Brohoof 2

Never. I believe in the saying "never judge a book by its cover". Every person has different tastes and i completely understand that. To be quite honest, i was judged several times on forums because of the avatars I used. Because it 'bothers' them. Now and then I'll compliment someone's avatar because they're pretty cool. :)

Yep, I'm doing that pretty much all the time. It's kind of hard for me to see and take someone seriously if his or her avatar is something weird like bananaman from japan or anything from the .Mov series. I can't be neutral if the other side keeps making funny faces at me :wacko:

I tend to like those who have avatars without any eyes that can stare at me.

To be quite honest, i was judged several times on forums because of the avatars I used. Because it 'bothers' them. Now and then I'll compliment someone's avatar because they're pretty cool.

Now ya got me curious.  What Avatars bothered them and why?    I guess it makes ya think some times.  What does my avatar say about me?    I chose this one cause I loved Pinkypie in that episode.  You could say "I Got the Joke."  With how she was dressed and all.  or maybe its the hair, I don't know.

If my avatar over there were to represent a bit of me, it probly wouldn't be Pinkypie.   More likely Rainbowdash.

(edited)

I can't say I make a specific "judgement" on a user by their avatar, but I definitely associate the user with their avatar; considering that it's the only visual representation of the person I have for reference. Take mine for example; if you look at my icon, you can see that it's Spike. Instantly, you think of Spike. For me, the icon becomes a part of their identity, since I don't have too many things to go off of when I meet someone online, especially on a forum like this. I don't think "judgement" is the right term for it, but I do associate users with their icons because, frankly, I can't help it.

... Did any of that make sense? 

Edited by Moderate Brony
  • Brohoof 1

The only judgement i make is by interest a more detailed avatar tends to catch my eye more then a user using a basic weird avatar.

I can't say I make a specific "judgement" on a user by their avatar, but I definitely associate the user with their avatar; considering that it's the only visual representation of the person I have for reference. Take mine for example; if you look at my icon, you can see that it's Spike. Instantly, you think of Spike. For me, the icon becomes a part of their identity, since I don't have too many things to go off of when I meet someone online, especially on a forum like this. I don't think "judgement" is the right term for it, but I do associate users with their icons because, frankly, I can't help it.

... Did any of that make sense? 

Yes, that's actually more along the lines of what I believe too. I don't fully judge a person based on their avatar, other than obvious stuff such as characters they like or stuff they're interested in, but I also attach that avatar as being a part of that poster.

Plus, I sometimes imagine that it's their avatar typing, and that makes it funnier to talk to people. Like you, Moderate. I'm currently imagining Spike sitting there hammering away at his keyboard with that angry face as being you.

• Brohoof 1

I do not judge anypony by their avatar. I do not care about the avatar at all, there are more things to judge people by, like their personality and stuff like that.

Somewhat. If you have a poorly cropped, mediocre-looking OC as your avatar, I probably won't think too highly of you.

What I tend to judge people the most by is their posting—particularly grammar and content. If you don't make obvious grammatical errors on a consistent basis and have some nice content to go along with it, you're likely to get a good rep from me. 

Not that you should be concerned with what I think of you...

Pretty much this. Though I just dislike OC's in general. Poorly cropped anything is bad, as well as screencapping the Pony Generator. And that milkshake image macro bugs the hell out of me.

Grammar's a quick indicator as to how much I'll loathe a poster, as are mind-blowingly stupid statements.

(edited)

Sometimes I've known people to be like what their Avatars represent. I've seen it a few times on some forums at least. Anyway yeah.

EDIT: I don't mean I judge them based on that though.

Edited by Asbel Lhant

Well I'm not going to lie.. Sometimes I do. It depends what the avatar is. I shouldn't do that since I don't want people to judge me by seeing my Freddy Krueger..

Do you guys believe I'm some sort of guy who always wear black clothes and watch people killing eachother all days? ohmy.png

*silently judges you* Only joking! XD I sincerely hope that nopony here sees me as an evolved human who's killed tons of people with creepy invisible arms. O_o

I only judge people in a non nasty way; as in, if I see somepony with an avatar of something I like, I think, "Nice". I once PMed a mod here to tell them I loved their avvie; it was a cute dancing Rainbow Dash. :P

I usually recognize regular posters on the forum from their avatar and I never really put much more thought into it then that. I dont see how you can judge anyone on a picture when you have no idea what it represents or why they choose it. To be honest I never really look to deeply into anything because 90% of the time its a complete waste of time.

To be honest, avatars only make me prejudge people marginally. Names though can have a bigger influence.

I wonder what people prejudge about me... I have experienced people making wrong assumptions based on my avatar before xD

Seeing as a person's avatar is the only non-text visual representation of a person, on these kinds of sites, it's hard not to judge them based on their avatar. At least until you get to know them.

(edited)

The only thing I judge is when people have a Fluttershy avatars. Because FS is clearly the worst pony and no one sane should like her. unsure.png

No, I joke. In all honesty, no, but I do see certain traits come out in their avatars after I meet the person. It's kinda funny, really. XD

Edited by Morrigan Aensland
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

In fact I do! Sometimes subconsciously, sometimes consciously. An avatar can often tell much about a person! His/her character, personality, interests and even hobbies! Whether someone's a thinker, a strategist or an artist. An avatar can tell a lot about one. Let's say it shows the person what types of clothes another is wearing. Each type of avatar has a certain ring to it. A style, worn by the user. It might reveal someone's mood or someone's lifestyle.

Needless to say a bad avatar makes me think worse of the person too. And though I am quite often right in judging what type of person someone is, plenty have surprised me as well. I guess when someone's real personality starts to shine through their forum one a person can become everything others would never think of.

An avatar is also something much more than the clothes someone wears. It is also a tag, an emblem. Something to make people remember you. Sure it might change, but the avatar people notice is also the moment people have eye for your name. And if they have your name, that will be the moment you rise in popularity and familiarity. So an avatar is so much more than just a picture. It's a way of getting through to others. Together with the words you type and the way you write, is the way you will be remembered by people. It's your little identity that you'll always carry with you.

Edited by Winterbass

Yes I do :3 But I do it in a good way, like if someone like me has a luna picture I will think they are a luna fan like I am so yeah, I do but not in a bad way (:

I would like to say i never put any thoughts of judgement into my mind from an avatar, but honestly I do in some cases.

Sometimes its not bad judgement exactly, I mean sometimes its as simple as knowing that based on their avatar of Pinkie their a cheery happy person or something. 

That said I do make some assumptions that are bad, I try to avoid them though. But I'm not perfect.

It is generally kinda dumb to judge someone by an avatar really, however there are some safe assumptions you can make that are fine, but for the most part its basically the whole"Don't judge a book by its cover" thing.

I do not exactly judge someone by their avatar, more or less just remember them by their avatar. If they have a more memorable avatar, then it is easier to remember them. It gets a little annoying when people constantly change their avatar....