Furry discussion thread

Discordian

How do you feel about furries?  

260 users have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about furries?

• They're pretty cool
    • So weird.
    • Fluttershy is a furry!

I LOVE Tailsrulz. Dude's an amazing artist. Bloody Roar is also one of my favorite fighting game series' though I've yet to play the fourth game.

That's awesome! I just got myself two 22x34 prints from him (his latest journal entry was advertising them).

The Bloody Roar games are great but don't play the 4th game. It's good as a collectors item and nothing more. The arenas in the game are no bigger than my room and the beast mode is broken. If you haven't seen gameplay footage you should check it out. and the voice acting, oh my god the voice acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMESOoVo-9Q

I'll be honest. For a long time I thought that a Furry was a person who had a fetish for anthorpomorphized animal characters. I didn't find out until recently that a person can be a Furry without any sexual conotation. Now, the way I see it, is those fetishists are to the Furry fandom what cloppers are to the MLP fandom. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.

I've always like characters with animal features, like the Miqo'te from FFXIV or your standard anime cat girl. I love a character with a tail because I think it looks cool. I don't think that qualifies though.  The only time I really like full on anthropomorphic humanoid character is in shapeshifting instances like the Bloody Roar games or the Worgen from WoW. Being a human who can temporarily transform into a human/animal hybrid to tear into an enemy is pretty awesome.

Edited by Sylentmana

This thread is for discussion of all furry related things. (SFW obviously)

A few starter questions:

What furry artists do you follow? (Like on Deviantart, Furaffinity, Tumblr, etc.)

What furry series do you follow? (Webcomics? TV? Fictions?)

What's your favorite type of furry? (Mammal? Reptile? Avian?)

Do you like when non-anthropomorphic characters are turned into furries? (No right or wrong answer here!)

What is your opinion on the notion that bronies and furries are one and the same? (Once again, no right or wrong answer)

What do you think of anthropomorphic versions of MLP characters?

I follow Crazy-voodoo-lady(NSFW), =sugarpoultry(I don't know how to do that link thing so forgive me) and Esava.  There are probably a load more however I can't think of them right now.  Some of the furry comics I like to read are lackadaisy and the Furry Experience.  I'm not really sure what type of furry novels there are out there.  Would anyone have any recommendations?  

My favourite type of furry?  I guess, I'd have to say the species that people make up.  Beyond that, I can't really say I have a favourite, they're all so cool!  I like it when people turn non-furry characters into furries.  It can be rather amusing at times and seeing the creative twist on a once recognizable character is interesting.

Both furries and bronies are seen in a negative light by much of the media and society.  I don't really think bronies and furries should be snapping at each other.  We should be supportive of each other.  I have no problem with seeing anthropomorphic ponies, I like seeing an artist's creativity.

Edited by Anishna
  • Brohoof 2

I've always like characters with animal features, like the Miqo'te from FFXIV or your standard anime cat girl. I love a character with a tail because I think it looks cool. I don't think that qualifies though.  The only time I really like full on anthropomorphic humanoid character is in shapeshifting instances like the Bloody Roar games.

It's one of those shifting scale things. Some would say it qualifies, some wouldn't. Since there isn't a 'furry council' laying down the law as to what is, and is not, it's up in the air.

On average, however, most furries seem to prefer a bit more than just a tail and ears. In the same way they also prefer a bit more than a talking animal. Two ends on the scale, and most furries are bit more 'middle of the road' in preferences. Technically they're all furries, as long as the character is displaying some combination of animal and human physical or mental traits, but technicalities can get you in trouble in some forums.  ;)

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 1

That's awesome! I just got myself two 22x34 prints from him (his latest journal entry was advertising them).

The Bloody Roar games are great but don't play the 4th game. It's good as a collectors item and nothing more. The arenas in the game are no bigger than my room and the beast mode is broken. If you haven't seen gameplay footage you should check it out. and the voice acting, oh my god the voice acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMESOoVo-9Q

So wait, they have a health bar totally separate from the regular one when you're in Beast form? xD

I was hoping it was better than BR3 which is pretty barebones. I think Primal Fury was meant to be the real BR3 but since it's Gamecube exclusive (or at least not on PS2) it got less love from fans who stuck to Playstation because of BR1 and 2.

Did they at least throw a few new characters with interesting Beast forms in or is it like BR3 where there's really only the standard cast and a few new people like that Nagi chica? (Noticing the return of Xion from BR3)

I follow Crazy-voodoo-lady(NSFW), =sugarpoultry(I don't know how to do that link thing so forgive me) and Esava.  There are probably a load more however I can't think of them right now.  Some of the furry comics I like to read are lackadaisy and the Furry Experience.  I'm not really sure what type of furry novels there are out there.  Would anyone have any recommendations?  

My favourite type of furry?  I guess, I'd have to say the species that people make up.  Beyond that, I can't really say I have a favourite, they're all so cool!  I like it when people turn non-furry characters into furries.  It can be rather amusing at times and seeing the creative twist on a once recognizable character is interesting.

Both furries and bronies are seen in a negative light by much of the media and society.  I don't really think bronies and furries should be snapping at each other.  We should be supportive of each other.  I have no problem with seeing anthropomorphic ponies, I like seeing an artist's creativity.

Can't say I recognize those artist names but I know artists usually more by their style unless I really like them so I'll have to look them up.

As for novels, have you read the Redwall series? The author, Brian Jacques, has passed away unfortunately but he left a legacy of 25+ books in the Redwall series to read. Start with the first, maybe read the direct sequel, then you can jump around without needing too much backstory. Most of the books stand independently story-wise though they take place in various parts of the timeline so if you read a bunch of them you'll recognize names, faces and legends that were from other books in the series.

• Brohoof 1

I was hoping it was better than BR3 which is pretty barebones. I think Primal Fury was meant to be the real BR3 but since it's Gamecube exclusive (or at least not on PS2) it got less love from fans who stuck to Playstation because of BR1 and 2. Did they at least throw a few new characters with interesting Beast forms in or is it like BR3 where there's really only the standard cast and a few new people like that Nagi chica? (Noticing the return of Xion from BR3)

Bloody Roar 4 was a gaming nightmare. One of the worst games I've ever played. Primal Fury was the best one in my opinion.  BR4 only added about 3 new characters. A little girl who's transformation I can't remember and she had a guy who was her body guard but you had to work your arse off to unlock his transformation: a dragon that took up half the arena and completely threw off the fighting mechanics. The last one was a teenage girl who had some sort of half demon transformation that looked like a Witchblade ripoff.

Yeras before I discovered FiM I watched Krypto the Superdog and had not noticed many would later on be in FiM. Anyway I used to be a furry and search on Yahoo! and Google Groups, Netscape Navigator, Angelfire and Myspace for furry art.

What furry artists do you follow? I loved furry artists for years ago so I can't remember so many. But Knallratte was one.
What furry series do you follow? (Webcomics? TV? Fictions?) Surprised to see one mention Jay Naylor. I loved Tiny Toons before.
What's your favorite type of furry? (Mammal? Reptile? Avian?) Mammals too. Another Dane?
Do you like when non-anthropomorphic characters are turned into furries? (No right or wrong answer here!) Yes.
What is your opinion on the notion that bronies and furries are one and the same? (Once again, no right or wrong answer)  It's like apples and oranges compared.
What do you think of anthropomorphic versions of MLP characters? I like ponies as wolves I seen on another forum.

Edited by Ulrik Raben

What furry artists do you follow? I loved furry artists for years ago so I can't remember so many. But Knallratte was one.

What furry series do you follow? (Webcomics? TV? Fictions?) Surprised to see one mention Jay Naylor. I loved Tiny Toons before.

What's your favorite type of furry? (Mammal? Reptile? Avian?) Mammals too. Another Dane?

Do you like when non-anthropomorphic characters are turned into furries? (No right or wrong answer here!) Yes.

What is your opinion on the notion that bronies and furries are one and the same? (Once again, no right or wrong answer)  It's like apples and oranges compared.

What do you think of anthropomorphic versions of MLP characters? I like ponies as wolves I seen on another forum.

More people need to know of Jay Naylor's awesomeness. He's an amazing artist with amazing stories in his comics (though I've never read much of his....more suggestive material since you have to pay for it and I have no interest in doing that. :P

So wait, they have a health bar totally separate from the regular one when you're in Beast form? xD

I was hoping it was better than BR3 which is pretty barebones. I think Primal Fury was meant to be the real BR3 but since it's Gamecube exclusive (or at least not on PS2) it got less love from fans who stuck to Playstation because of BR1 and 2.

Did they at least throw a few new characters with interesting Beast forms in or is it like BR3 where there's really only the standard cast and a few new people like that Nagi chica? (Noticing the return of Xion from BR3)

Here is how the health system works. You have two health bars. One is for your human form and the other for your beast form. When you take a hit in human form, your beast gauge fills up. But if you are in beast form your human health doesn't replenish. Once both health bars are depleted, you die.

Also, besides the Nagi chick in the video I posted there is only one other character who has the blandest character model. He turns into a dragon, which sounds cool on paper, but it looks dumb and doesn't fit in the fighting game with the rest of the cast.

There was another version of BR3 besides Primal Fury. It's called Bloody Roar Extreme and is available on the Xbox classic. And if you own a 360 don't bother trying to play it on the 360. I tried it and Microsoft hasn't updated their backwards compatibility in ages.

• 3 months later...

Oooh. I'm a furry as well. And my animal is also a fox. ;~; I am unoriginal too because the person who posted before me said so. Oh well! Specifically, I've picked out a cape fox.

As for how I became one, it just kind of... happened one day. At first, I hated furries because I thought anthropomorphic animals looked disgusting and preferred more feral forms. Then my preference grew towards more humanlike creatures without being completely human... and pretty recently, about one or two years ago... I finally admitted to myself that I was just like those people I used to not like. Well, not JUST like them. I still am very picky about what furry things I like. But you get the point. That was around the time that I also admitted that I was a sort of therian-type personishthing. Which is basically that me feeling like my animal resonates with me on a more deeper level and like it represents me better than my human self. 

Here is my current fursona, which I have very recently redesigned and crafted carefully:

post-809-0-98841100-1385599225_thumb.jpg

That's the fursona without clothing. Typically, she wears clothes and has glasses and a flower much like my pony OC. (To replicate my real life human apperance and make me feel more connected.) The tail, though it's difficult to see, is supposed to symbolize a paint brush and resemble one, representing my love of creating art. This fursona is not only a Fake Pokemon, but also part of a species I created called Messengers. (Or Missas for the females.) She's a Fox Messenger. :3

Oh and I don't partake in the fandom at all. I'm just a furry 'cause I like fuzzy animals and stuff.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 1

I guess you can say I am. I've been one for around 7-ish years but I'm not really "in" with the fandom, kind of just sitting on the sidelines. 

As for how I became one, I have no idea what-so-ever. Strange furry infused radiation from Saturn I guess. 

As for sona, it's wolf/dragon who tends to wear a white suit. Always loved the classy gent who wears a nice suit, and a little inspiration from the old 1920's Scottish gangsters.  

0kdUnS7.png?1?2040

• Brohoof 1

*Raises paw*  Me!  My fursona is a grey wolf named Arkin http://arkin-laufeyson.deviantart.com/art/Fursona-UPDATED-405001048 and I also have a dragonsona http://arkin-laufeyson.deviantart.com/art/Jules-Dragonsona-409708417

I was kind of always a furry, I love drawing animals all the time with different characteristics although I still have yet to draw anthro

I've recenty joined the community and made myself a lynx/cat fursona. However, I don't consider myself a furry. I just enjoy drawing animals and human bodies so furry community is ideal for this.

Edited by Cocodrillo
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a furry (not the creepy stereotype of course, I'm just obsessed with animals)! My animal is a cat!

It was originally a wolf named Blayze, but I decided I wanted to be a cat and created a new character--Aurora. She prefers to be called Rory though :lol:

I may use Rory to represent myself in future works...;)

Edited by Midnight Dragon
  • Brohoof 1

Not actually a furry, but you know what? Screw the stereotypes, yall are a fine bunch of people imo.

There are some great furry artists out there, and furries have some of the best costume making skills i've ever seen (i get so envious, haha)

I myself like animals, and i love drawing animals so maybe i have some furry-ish tendencies. Although i can't see myself ever using a fursona (closest thing would be my tulpa who is a cat, but he's a whole 'nother can of worms) I barely even use the one OC that i have, and roleplaying doesn't seem to come to me easily.

Edited by crazitaco

I'm not really sure if I count as a furry or not. I don't identify as one, and I probably never will. However, I do have two 'fursonas' (not bipedal, though) - although I'm not sure if that's exaaaactly what they are to me - but they've been with me for almost 10 years now, I do love them a lot, they do represent aspects of me, and I draw them all the time, so maybe by some loose definitions some people may consider me one.

Oh, and my aforementioned fursonas are a cat and a snow-leopard/barn owl gryphon (my avatar is the ponyfied version of her), and as I said, they're both quadrupedal and not very humanistic apart from being intelligent and having human emotion. But I consider them to be extensions of me.

Edited by Sapana