Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the MLP fandom the closest thing to a real life Fight Club?

fimdash

VERY MINOR SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK/MOVIE FIGHT CLUB BELOW. DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK/MOVIE.

For those of you who have read or seen Fight Club, have you all ever noticed the similarities between the book/movie and the mlp fandom? When I was first discovering everything about the mlp fandom, I couldn't help but think of Fight Club, and here is why:

You don't talk about fight club: Many bronies are "in the closet" (as much as I hate the term), and are unwilling to divulge their identity as a brony. This was the first similarity I noticed, as I realized that anyone I know could be a brony, just like how anyone you meet in the Fight Club universe could very well be a member of Fight Club.

Fight Club became so much more than what it initially was: Pretty much the same thing goes for My Little Pony. The brony phenomenon was a shock to the writers. They wanted to make a more sophisticated rendition of the '80s cartoon, and not only did they accomplish that with flying colors, they were also able to reel in a gargantuan male audience.

Members of Fight Club notice other members of Fight Club in society from their scars: You can say the same thing about brony apparel. It seems that some bronies prefer to wear more subtle brony apparel, so their bronydom can only be identified by other bronies. References work as well. A Panda Express worker once dropped a mlp reference in response to my order, and it just goes to show that anyone we see in society could be a brony.

Fight Club helps people cope with stress: People joined Fight Club to get away from their everyday lives. It seems that ponies make people happy, and one of the reasons why people watch it is because it helps them forget about their hardships. The community has also helped people with life problems. In fact, some have even stated that the show saved their lives. 

The members of Fight Club scoff at the image of the quintessential "man": There is a scene in the movie where the narrator and Tyler Durden are in a bus, looking at ads displaying underwear models. The narrator then says "Is that what a man looks like?" It seems that anything a man does which differs from the social norm is considered outlandish and weird. So just because one is a male means he cannot enjoy a well-made show meant for little girls? People should be able to openly enjoy what they truly like, regardless of gender. Bronies are showing the world what a fallacy masculinity really is.

The members of Fight Club are extremely dedicated: In Fight Club, the members are completely dedicated to their cause. There is a scene in the movie where a group of people seeking to be recruited wait out in front of the main character's house for days on end. Many bronies are extremely dedicated to the fandom, as they dedicate numerous hours each and every day toward contributing amazing fan art, fan fiction, fan music, etc.

Now, not everything about Fight Club is similar to the mlp fandom. We are not set out on wreaking havoc, for example. Nevertheless, you have to admit that the similarities I listed are very noticeable. I'm sure I missed some, so feel free to post more similarities you noticed.

• Brohoof 18

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

You know, I half expected this to be some kind of joke topic or something...

But now that I read over your reasons, you are totally right about there being a lot of parallels between us and Fight Club. The first four things you mentioned are definitely the strongest connections between Fight Club and Bronies.

Now all we need to do is have someone post a picture of the cover of Fight Club except it says "Brony Club" instead, and this topic will be a complete success.

• Brohoof 3

The first rule of pony club is love and tolerate.

THE SECOND RULE OF PONY CLUB IS LOVE AND TOLERATE.

The third rule of pony club is if someone yells 'Brohoof!' you yell it back!

The fourth rule of pony club is don't fight!

The fifth rule of pony club is... Okay, I think that's enough.

• Brohoof 4

Wow, that . . . actually makes a lot of sense. Fight Club and Bronydom. Who would've thought there would be parallels between the two? Nice observation, fimdash! 

Well judging from your observation, I think it looks like the two have a lot in common, I've not yet read the Fight club exactly,(and not sure if I will) but your observation seems to make the two have a whole lot of similarities.

Who would've known they'd have this much in common.

Great observation there Fimdash!

Hold on a sec... Doesn't this topic break the first and second rules of Fight Club? Didn't I just break the first and second rules of Fight Club? 

You're breaking the first rule of Pony Club. Oh wait, I'm breaking it, too. :P Carry on.

Yeah. This does make a lot of sense. I kind of like the idea of being a part of an almost secret culture, where people get to live almost double-lives.

Good observations! /)

(edited)

Isn't fight club about a guy who's best friend doesn't exist?

Are you trying to imply something about us? Like that we're merely robots, well I have one thing to say to that.

>Null Pointer Exception

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

Isn't fight club about a guy who's best friend doesn't exist?

Are you trying to imply something about us? Like that we're merely robots, well I have one thing to say to that.

>Null Pointer Exception

Yeah, but that's a part that doesn't relate to the mlp fandom, so don't worry I'm not implying anything. I'd love to hear the robot thing you have to say though :)

And here I thought we were going to talk about an actual Brony fight club. 

(I would totally destroy all of y'all, by the way :P )

Joking aside, I think that some of your comparisons have their limits.  For instance, it's true that a lot of people aren't open about their bronydom in person, but online, *every* brony who is on the internett, is open about their hobby.  Or at least it seems that way to me.

• Brohoof 1

Uhhh...

No, guys. No. We are NOT the only fandom that think this, and I doubt we are the closest one to being a Fight Club.

....or maybe we are. I don't know.

It's a cute sentiment, but we have no Robert Paulson.  We don't have a Bob with Bitch Tits.  Why?  We're not a psuedo-terrorist organization, carrying out anti-social directives from a madman with authority issues.

• 1 month later...

Of course not. Tyler Durden formed fight club because he was dissatisfied with a consumer based society. The MLP fandom came into being when people realized the show was good and wanted to talk about it with each other

(edited)

Why?  We're not a psuedo-terrorist organization, carrying out anti-social directives from a madman with authority issues.

Tara Strong, self-proclaimed Queen of the Bronies.

Okay, maybe not so much now, but for awhile there I could honestly see her fulfilling that role. wink.png

Edited by Fhaolan

The fandom is definitely not the closest thing to a real life fight club. We don't have any actors in the fandom, so it is definitely not the same to the movie Fight Club.