LyraHeartstrings

102 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I love this episode! I love crazy Twilight :ticking: I love the Fluttershy scene with the bear :yay:

Twilight's dilemma in this episode is something which is not completely fictional. Yes, it's  exaggerated so it's still funny but at the same time real enough to feel her :worry:

For nerds it's also quite common that people around them are not always getting their ideas or worries. So I'd say this is even more relatable and I love this episode for addressing this.

I also love how Celestia is dealing with it :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Without of doubt, the most memorable episode of the show. It was hilarious to see Twilight going all crazy throughout this episode, and it's Tara Strong's best performance.

• Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...

Huh, so Twilight's a perfectionist... Neat.

Let's just say before going into this episode, I knew that this episode was notorious one thing, Twilight going insane. And honesty, I can see where they're coming from. Twilight having a freak out over the fact that she's going to miss a deadline is entertaining to see, especially with it being build up overtime. I think there's also several scene in the episode that's also enjoyable to watch, such as the sun acting as a timer, Rainbow destroying an old house, and Fluttershy dealing with a bear.

I think it's fair to say that this episode is relatable to those who have OCD and get stress easily over deadlines, but unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. I'm pretty lax went it comes to my tasks. And I think the fact that I'm not one of those people that really see the enjoyment of seeing character freak-outs really doesn't help it. So I can see the appeal, but I'm just not one to enjoy it. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but some parts in the episode just feel like cringe to me like the scene with Twilight and the CMC.

This episode is great for many reasons, Twilight freaking out being the highlight of the episode. It's even relatable for those who have OCD. I think this is just me, but I didn't really have as much enjoyment in seeing the cringe comedy or Twilight freaking out. But again, that's probably just me, the episode's still great though.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

This episode is great. It introduced the crazy side of Twilight's personality and the concept of Twilight no longer needing to be in every episode.

Its nods to the Fandom, the show's production and its marketing are real highlights. It is also hilarious how its lesson gets ignored in the first half of the season's finale.

This episode also introduced brighter and more advanced animation.

Watching the Season 2 premiere, then this episode can make you miss the Season 1 animation, which is more similar to the animation of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

That show was animated in Adobe Flash, and that is likely be why that animation format was also chosen for this show.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

We all seem to love watching Twilight Sparkle have a breakdown for 20 minutes. :P

I do love this episode. The animation is amazing for one. The improvement from season 1 isn't noticeable at first glance, but it's really impressive once you see it. The plot of this episode is very simple, but it's one of those things where it's just fun to watch it unfold and spiral out of control. The humour is great. There are so many funny scenes here, but I think my favourite has to be when Twilight tries getting the CMCs to fight over Smarty Pants.

On a more serious note, I could personally connect to this episode. As someone with OCD, Twilight freaking out and being unable to get all those thoughts out of her head was something that hit close to home for me. I appreciate this episode a lot more because of that.

Loved "Lesson Zero." One of my favourites for sure. :)

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 2 months later...

I personally relate to this episode a lot because I tend to worry over nothing. Twilight's over-reactions to minor problems is something I really struggle with myself. Twilight having all those thoughts in her mind and she doesn't have the words to say it, yup, that's me.  I love crazy Twilight!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this is my favorite Twilight Sparkle episode. Her freakout was really entertaining, and it puts into light what could happen if she actually was an antagonist instead. Her knowledge of spells and magic abilities, powered by herself in a reckless state... wooooop :sealed:

Like, imagine if she just started going around Equestria intentionally causing problems between others for her to fix. Princess Celestia would probably be much harsher on her if that happened! Thankfully it was contained within Ponyville, but still... that on a larger scale. :sealed:

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, good ol' Twilight mental breakdown, you love to see it. Slowly descending into a madness of her own design, not realizing she's in too deep before it's too late. I can relate.

That's also what happens when you let your clearly neurotics students all by herself, without supervision or any form of contact, CELESTIA (yes I will blame Celestia for everything, it's her job)

Magic is OP, and since Twilight is the strongest magic user (debate me !) she's the most OP. Robbing everyone of their free will  to chase a ragdoll around is toptier evil Supervillain behavior.

At least, now, Twilight won't feel so much pressure in trying to solve every friendship problem in equestria, right ?

7/10, perfectly fine, would watch Twilight go crazy again.

Edited by Hadrien

• 2 months later...
On 2011-10-03 at 3:22 AM, Rainbow Dash1 said:

I think I've read about it. But I don't really remember. What was it about?

Twilight going bonkers

• 2 months later...

“This is the. Worst. Possible. Thing!”

Call it nostalgia but the first 3 seasons of FiM really do feel special to me. The first 2 especially, which you can probably chalk up to Lauren Faust’s influence. They feel cozier, more down to earth. It feels like there’s more charm to the animation and environments.

I mean just compare Twilight’s library to her castle, after all. Everything is just less grand and less important than in the later episodes where we have a bunch more characters and lore. Feels like we’re a lot more focused on the characters themselves and their personalities. I almost want to write a blog on this and everything I’m writing and rewatch the first 3 seasons. Hmm…

Anyway, Lesson Zero. Great episode which really emphasizes that point I made about the earlier seasons focusing more on the Mane 6’d characters and personalities. We really get to see just how much of a perfectionist Twilight is. And how anxious she is lol. Also how much she likes schedules and routine as she freaks out about Celestia’s friendship letter.

And then she gradually becomes more and more desperate and unhinged (physically and mentally as her mane becomes a mess) as she realizes there’s no one that needs her help. And then starts arguing with herself and pretty much completely loses it.

Honestly it’s kind of interesting just how little it took for her to completely snap. Just one letter. But I kind of get it as someone with severe anxiety. I’ve had a lot of cases where I hyper obsess over something that seems relatively minor to everyone else. But at that moment in time, to my mind, whatever I’m obsessing over seems like the most important thing in the world. And I worry or obsess over it to the point of debilitation, sometimes. Twilight’s breakdown is pretty damn realistic in that regard even if it’s played up for laughs a bit, obviously.

Anddd she does end up making her own friendship problem after causing mass hysteria in Ponyville lol. I forgot that Celestia shows up at the end here. Very fitting though. Spike, what a guy, ended up saving the day. Forgot how much I missed the friendship letters too. Obviously going 9 seasons with friendship letters, they would’ve gotten old fast. Such a charming touch in these early episode though. Fantastic episode from a fantastic season. Easy to see why almost everyone loves Lesson Zero.