Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did anyone here read "Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell"?

Commander_PonyShep

15 users have voted

1. 1. Did you read "Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

(edited)

I've read the book myself, and it was almost like the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut of My Little Pony.  It did a nifty job revealing the aftermath of Twilight Sparkle's coronation.  In the book, Twilight was still herself, for the following reasons:

1. She still had more to learn, especially on leadership, whether from books or from her friends.
  2. She still prefers studying, especially since it was all to build her up into a princess and leader.
  3. She'd choose to stay in Ponyville where she's closest with her friends.
  4. She's still dependent on her friends, even as an alicorn princess, and especially on making decisions for Equestria's future.

My one complaint is that the book established that Twilight will only stay in Ponyville for a little while, before returning to Canterlot, using phrases like "for now" and "can wait" to further infer this.  Also, Gilda and Trixie, and the way they were added in there purely for brony fan-service.

But other than that, it almost reminded me of ME3's Extended Cut ending, if made into a children's book.  Like ME3 EC, The Crystal Heart Spell, debunked many of our deepest fears and provided more clarity to Twilight's new life as an alicorn princess.  She's still herself, in that she still loves studying, only this time about leadership, and that she would rather stay in Ponyville with her friends than move back to Canterlot.  Plus, she's not as much of a Mary Sue as any of us could think, because *SPOILER ALERT* she's still dependent on her friends as always, only this time with politics.

How about you?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the book myself, and it was almost like the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut of My Little Pony.  It did a nifty job revealing the aftermath of Twilight Sparkle's coronation.  In the book, Twilight was still herself, for the following reasons:

1. She still had more to learn, especially on leadership, whether from books or from her friends.
  2. She still prefers studying, especially since it was all to build her up into a princess and leader.
  3. She'd choose to stay in Ponyville where she's closest with her friends.
  4. She's still dependent on her friends, even as an alicorn princess, and especially on making decisions for Equestria's future.

My one complaint is that the book established that Twilight will only stay in Ponyville for a little while, before returning to Canterlot, using phrases like "for now" and "can wait" to further infer this.  Also, Gilda and Trixie, and the way they were added in there purely for brony fan-service.

But other than that, it almost reminded me of ME3's Extended Cut ending, if made into a children's book.  Like ME3 EC, The Crystal Heart Spell, debunked many of our deepest fears and provided more clarity to Twilight's new life as an alicorn princess.  She's still herself, in that she still loves studying, only this time about leadership, and that she would rather stay in Ponyville with her friends than move back to Canterlot.  Plus, she's not as much of a Mary Sue as any of us could think, because *SPOILER ALERT* she's still dependent on her friends as always, only this time with politics.

How about you?

Oh, don't worry.  She isn't going to leave her friends and go to Canterlot.  I know this for a fact (and I know exactly why).  So yeah...  It isn't happening.  So that 'for now' and 'can wait' stuff, don't even worry about it.

(edited)

I read the preview for it from the 6th issue of the comic. It really does seem like they are hitting the right notes on it...At least in that book. I just hope that transfers well into the show, which really I have no doubts on, as long as they do not throw that particular cheap curveball that I still fear that they might do, though I doubt it. I do want to read the full book when I get the chance.

Oh, don't worry. She isn't going to leave her friends and go to Canterlot. I know this for a fact (and I know exactly why). So yeah... It isn't happening. So that 'for now' and 'can wait' stuff, don't even worry about it.

Kinda sounds like you know something that we don't, or maybe I am just tired and depressed and not thinking clearly. Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

I bought the digital download off iTunes and read it the other afternoon. I'm not sure how canon it is considered, but I thought it was at least mildly entertaining, with a few interesting concepts. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more discussion on it here. The idea that Cadence is not royalty by blood and was a pegasus prior to her "alicornization" is really interesting.

(edited)
Kinda sounds like you know something that we don't, or maybe I am just tired and depressed and not thinking clearly.

In all honesty, what I know isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.  But I can tell you this much.  The show's overarcing theme of friendship takes priority in the minds of both the people working directly on the show, and Hasbro itself.  So it's completely inconceivable that either party would do anything that could potentially interfere with that theme. 

That's why I can very safely say that no matter what major plot points might happen in the future, Twilight will definitely not be leaving her friends in favor of Canterlot.  And even if she were to appear to do so, it would likely be temporary, since the whole premise set up by the first episode was the idea that Twilight didn't want to leave her friends to go back to Canterlot.  And any change to that would completely contradict the point of the show.

So while things might be getting ready to take place that bring the series full circle (in more ways than one), I'd say you can rest assured that no matter what happens, Twilight will still be there, learning friendship lessons with the others.

BUT, she is still going to be a Princess.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

In all honesty, what I know isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.  But I can tell you this much.  The show's overarcing theme of friendship takes priority in the minds of both the people working directly on the show, and Hasbro itself.  So it's completely inconceivable that either party would do anything that could potentially interfere with that theme. 

That's why I can very safely say that no matter what major plot points might happen in the future, Twilight will definitely not be leaving her friends in favor of Canterlot.  And even if she were to appear to do so, it would likely be temporary, since the whole premise set up by the first episode was the idea that Twilight didn't want to leave her friends to go back to Canterlot.  And any change to that would completely contradict the point of the show.

So while things might be getting ready to take place that bring the series full circle (in more ways than one), I'd say you can rest assured that no matter what happens, Twilight will still be there, learning friendship lessons with the others.

BUT, she is still going to be a Princess.

That makes me incredibly happy to hear all of that. Especially that last line. :) That was the curveball that I was talking about in my post, that they would find to stupid reason for her to no longer be a princess. Like AnY Pony, that was my #1 'Neigh!' for S4. If what you say is true, then my excitement for season 4 has skyrocketed. I was already looking forward to it, but this little fear of mine impacted it a bit. It probably sounds weird, but I have my reasons.

Now I really want to read this entire book. :P

What's the point in being a princess if Twilicorn keeps asking everypony to treat her as a regular pony? It's awkward and it gets tiring real quick.

Having said that, it's the scenario I disliked the least because at least Twilicorn seems to inherit Twilight's personality and I can feel sorry for her. Some pro-Twilicorn might still be disappointed that Twilicorn isn't as royal and graceful as they would hope.

There are a few plotholes in the book, such as them stateing that she had only ever been to the crystal empire once before even though she was there in S3E12.  Also Trixi's part seemed to ignore the events of Magic Duel, but I digress.  It was a decent read for what it was.

(edited)

That makes me incredibly happy to hear all of that. Especially that last line. smile.png That was the curveball that I was talking about in my post, that they would find to stupid reason for her to no longer be a princess. Like AnY Pony, that was my #1 'Neigh!' for S4. If what you say is true, then my excitement for season 4 has skyrocketed. I was already looking forward to it, but this little fear of mine impacted it a bit. It probably sounds weird, but I have my reasons.

Now I really want to read this entire book. tongue.png

I'll be honest.  I only skimmed the book.  So I don't know if it'll be considered to be canon in the minds of the creators or not.  But it just doesn't make sense for Twilight to become a Princess, only for them to turn around and undo it after the fact.  That would be admittedly pretty insulting to the audience.

So I'm glad they didn't do that in the book or anything (canon or not).

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

I do admit that her being embarrassed by being called "princess" got old pretty quickly but I have why the author used it so often. It was part of the central conflict and thus important, but being a novel she had only words, but in the series you'd have subtile facial expressions too. In the end it was over played.