Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

____

(edited)

Edited by ____
  • Brohoof 3

It is probably not a good idea to start off a thread about your favorite sport by inadvertently bashing one of the most popular sports in the world. wink.png

Having spent eight years of my life playing American Football, four of them as the varsity starting center for my high school team, I love both playing and watching football. Oddly enough, I also enjoy playing and watching golf as well.

I believe AFL is a great sport, but my favourite sport would be Tennis.

Tennis is exciting, when trying to hit the ball, all the thrill and adrenaline rushing through your body....and when you hit it, it feels like a huge accomplishment. It's just exciting to hit a tennis ball coming 160 kilometers (per hour) at you and back at the sender.

Not really sure why, but it's just exciting. c:

Also, Tennis is the 3rd most popular sport in the world. (just behind Football(soccer) and Cricket). 

• Brohoof 2

American football and basketball are my two favorite sports; they're incredibly entertaining to watch and even more fun to play (football's my main sport, basketball's my second, and water polo's my fun sport). I also love hockey and have really wanted to play, but I doubt I ever will lol 

Dagorhir is the most amazing totally not nerdy sport in then world.

I count it as a sport, at least. Trying to viciously wrestle a foam sword from your enemies is rather sporty in my book.

• Brohoof 1

I like to watch football (not the futbol/soccer thing), but my favorite sport is bowling and archery.  Although they seem boring to watch (trust me, it's boring to watch someone)  they are actually really fun to play!  It's like golf except I hate golf and suck at minigolfing XD

That's a pretty cool sport, but it ain't got nothing on this sport right here.

croquet3.jpg

Croquet.

A sport so awesome, it doesn't require an explanation. I mean, what's not awesome about it?

What is, in your opinion, the best sport in the world? Give some background into the sport, before explaining why it's the best.

I'll get the ball rolling with Australian Rules Football:

-ARL is either known as Aussie Rules or AFL (Australian Football League).

-It was invented by the Aboriginal people, and then popularised by the White Australians.

-To begin with, AFL was only played to pass time between cricket seasons.

-With the ability to sling tackle, lunge, and jump upon each others' backs, AFL is seen as one of the dangerous-yet not lethal-Westernised Sports in the world (that does not use armour).

-The only way a player is removed from a game is if there is visible blood, or if they receive an injury.

-Football players and doctors often try to hide their blood in order to continue playing.

-There is no "warning" system in AFL, players complete the game and, if a panel of referees find a player guilty of unfair play (punching, slurs), then they are banned for several games.

-AFL is gaining popularity in Czechoslovakia and Russia, which now play public matches.

-The AFL league is the second most watched Australian sport in the world, beating the Ashes Cricket but losing to The Melbourne Cup Races.

-Currently, there is not enough interest for a women's professional team, so the AFL is exclusively male-besides authority figures such as coaches and Referees.

It is one of the best sports in the world, because of the intense, entertaining fights for the ball, and malicious injuries that come as a result.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I resent that assumption about soccer. Sure, some pro soccer players take dives, but its still the best sport ever invented! Simplistic, tactical, physically demanding, its got the whole package!

I think the best game in the world would have to be, Tennis. I really do enjoy playing that sport other then watching, I play it get my cardio up. :P

I like watching many sports. Whether its college, pro, or international. I'd say baseball. I love it and its big in many places. USA, Japan, the Caribbean, Venezuela, and some places in Europe :)

• 1 month later...

Foot Ball (Soccer). It's a great game and in Brasil it's more than a sport, I personally am not the type of person that enjoys watching people bleed and get injured for a sport, and american football I just find boring. In soccer you are constantly moving up and down no stopping in the middle for a new down, you continuously chase the ball and keep going.

Like I said watching people beat the crap out of each other for a ball is almost like blood sport to me. I just don't enjoy it.

I personally enjoy Tennis; so it's my favorite sport. I don't really like watching sports on live television, I would rather watch something else. Tennis is the only sport I'm average at and thoroughly enjoy. I don't really know much background on the Tennis sport; but it's rather fun.

Badminton or chess.

Badminton, since basketball, despite being pressured by my family to play that sport, doesn't truly appeal to me.

And I find badminton easier?

Chess? Despite sucking at it, I want to play it because of the strategies...

(edited)

Hockey. Totally not saying that because I'm Canadian. I really don't know how to describe the superultraextremawesomazingness that is hockey.

Also hockey is literally in my blood (I'm cousins with the Sutters, a famous NHL family - one of them coaches the Flames, one of them coaches the LA Kings, and one plays for the Hurricanes - last time I checked anyway)

It's so fast and action packed and awesome and... it's just so AWESOME wub.png

Not to mention people in the NHL are really hardcore about injuries -

Baseball: Blister? 2-3 weeks

Basketball: Finger jam? 2-4 weeks

Football: Toe turf? 4-6 weeks

Hockey: Slapshot to the face? "I'm cool, bro"

Oh and if you're mad at someone, you can just beat them up and sit in the penalty box for five minutes

Edited by TARDIS

This is kind of hard to decide.

Basketball is a game you can play just about anywhere. At the park, in the gym, driveway, etc. It also requires a lot of different skills and traits. You have to be able to handle the ball, you have to be able to shoot, play defense, and have stamina.

Baseball is what one of my coaches called "the fairest game in the world," you don't have to be super fast, you don't have to be tall, you can be any size or height, and can still be good if you work at it.

Football is just plain fun. It takes more work than any other sport (sorry rugby, but you don't have 6'5" 300lb+ dudes chasing you down), and your body will break down. But the competitiveness in the sport is unmatched.

It's really hard decide, but I'll just go with football. It's what I have the most fun watching and playing.

That is a hard choice to decide. Every preference comes from opinion. I personally grew up with baseball and football so I am leaning more towards those. My whole family enjoys soccer/futbol, but I hate it. I find it boring and just not that exciting.

I am a lover of most sports and an avid follower of the big 5 american sports (handegg, floorsqueak, luckswing, icefight, divegrass). Handegg has to be my favorite though. It is a quintessential team sport, it requires all 11 players to be working in perfect harmony. Other sports, a person with amazing technical ability can succeed virtually on their own (lebron, messi, ovechkin). In handegg, one missed block or blown gap assignment can bury a team even if everyone else is executing perfectly. It's the ideal blend of raw physical ability and strategic mastery. People often complain about the length of time between plays and the commercial breaks, but i generally like that about football. It gives you time to digest what you're watching. To think through the situations yourself, and to analyze

All of them are good though

MOTOCROSS!!!!!!

-Speed. Modern motocross bikes generate about 35-45 horsepower (Depending on class), and weigh only 230 lbs. This can propel the rider and bike to over 100 MPH. 
-HANGTIME! Motocross tracks feature jumps. Jumps, and the previously mentioned speed means catching some serious air. Some tracks feature jumps that are over 150 feet long, and propel the riders 40 feet in the air
-"The bike does all the work, it's easy!" You're sadly mistaken, try wrestling a 230 lb motorcycle round a corner, with 20 other bikes trying to squeeze through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNDeqkmvImc

My personal favorite is baseball.

It requires the greatest skill out of almost any other sport. Hitting a small round ball that's coming at you at 90 mph with a round bat is difficult. I would know, I played the game throughout high school. (Rarely saw 90, but in the pros a lot of pitchers get in the 90s).

I'm not really a sporting person as far as chucking a rubber ball on a field or whatever. That stuff bores me to tears, I do like stuff like pool, swimming, roller (not inline) skating. Some forms of motorsports look fun though I've never done it, but Autograss or banger racing or saloon car racing like Rally cross and stuff looks kinda fun :)

• 1 year later...
(edited)

My favorite sport is football and here's why:

football.jpg

Edited by Guest

(edited)

I would have to say any martial art. that counts as a sport right?

I am biased though as I am a black belt :yay:  (achieving it was the best moment of my life)

Although I have no major injuries from it, it has given me all seven of my chipped teeth, none of which have ever been fixed (hardly noticeable though). Although It might have broken my thumb ... But I wouldn't know as I never saw a doctor about it though ... only hurts a little now (edit: that was seven months ago it still hurts occasionally). So it is not about faking injury like some football/soccer players ...

I just see a lot of other sports as boring I guess, but for conventional sport I would agree with AFL (if that counts as conventional).

Edited by The Pink One
  • Brohoof 1