Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How can anyone say Vodka is tasteless and odorless?

Scootaloodle

Hope I'm allowed to discuss this kind of thing on here?

Anyway, I don't drink much in the way of Vodka as I don't think it's a healthy habit to, I do like the taste of straight Vodka though.

What confuses me is people say Vodka is tasteless, and maybe mixed into a soft drink you can't taste it.

But Vodka it's self isn't odorless, and isn't tasteless: take the lid of a bottle of Vodka, take a sniff and it dosen't smell of nothing it smells like paint thinner, take a swig and is doesn't taste like water it's quite the opposite it to me has a really strong taste to it.

Give someone a shot of it who isn't used to it, and they aren't likley to just shrug there shoulders like it's water, there likley to be a bit taken a back by the taste.

So why do people say it's tasteless and odorless?

Note: the statement below is just a theory. I have no way to prove that, mainly because 15 year olds can't drink alcohol.

Probably because they mix it, and make some modifications.

Or, they mistakened red wine, with Vodka(?)

Like I said, I can't prove them, because I am not old enough to drink alcohol.

• Brohoof 1

the way its distilled its meant to be a mixture of alcohol and water.

compared to things like whiskey and tequila its pretty damn subtle.

I personally much prefer something like bourbon that has a nice bite to it but whatever.

(edited)

Most vodka's are mixed with a hint of citris juice as well that give them a scent and flavor. Do check your bottle to make sure its plain or if it was mixed... Its almost like natural gas, they add the flavor/smell to it so it can be detected, but its not there on its own.

Normally even this though is so subtle its hard to notice without shoving the bottle up your nose, but the tastes added will overpower the vodka.

When mixed with other things it barely leaves a second taste, and is easy to get by the smell test as other things will drown it out quickly.

As to its own taste/smell, tbh its more like methanol than anything else IMO. nearly odorless and has a sort of blank taste that can't really be described.

I only know this due to having worked with the stuff and gotten it poured all over myself once.. not exactly a fun time, but it was on a nice hot summer day thankfully smile.png

Used to use it in a mix to fill aircraft windscreen wash tanks, and defrost the wings in the winter.

Edited by GrimCW

There not Russian there fore they have no idea how to fully and completely enjoy straight up Vodka, where as Russians have a special section of taste buds made specifically for Vodka.

It usually depends on the quality. A higher quality, more refined vodka (such as Svedka, at least that's considered "high quality" around here) has a subtler taste and smell. It's definitely still there, and damn noticeable, but it's better than something that is cheap and potent like Skol, which can pretty much only be stomached if mixed.

How'd I learn that? College. ;)

• 6 months later...

I don't drink, but I've heard it's not so much tasteless and odorless, as much as the taste and smell are just easier to cover up than most booze. I've also heard it doesn't leave a smell on your breath like other booze, but that might be a myth.  

I've never touched the stuff myself, but I have a friend who claims it tastes like medicine. My parents also say it doesn't taste that well. I suppose Vodka has an acquired taste to it? I'm not sure about the smell. Also everyone is different, so what might smell or taste good to you could be vile to somebody else.

I've never touched the stuff myself, but I have a friend who claims it tastes like medicine. My parents also say it doesn't taste that well. I suppose Vodka has an acquired taste to it? I'm not sure about the smell. Also everyone is different, so what might smell or taste good to you could be vile to somebody else.

I suppose it could be an acquired taste: I like beer and I thought tasted nasty when I first tried it. 

Some people don't like the taste, my sister doesn't like the taste of Vodka, but that's not really the point to be honest. Like you say your friend says it tastes like medicine and your parents don't like the taste. So if they don't like the taste, then they taste a taste they don't like so it has a taste to it. So Vodka does have something that tastes of something it's therefore not tasteless

Yet I've heard people call it tasteless? see what I mean?

:)

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 1

I guess its tasteless compared to other drinks. It has a distinct taste though, I get what you mean, but that taste can be describes as tasteless :P

I never mix Vodka but I assume it mixes well.

I've been drinking mostly vodka here in Poland over the past few weeks. I drank seven different brands, all of them Polish expect a bottle of Finlandia. Compared to other liquors, vodka is relatively tasteless, but it does have a taste. Even a 'tasteless' or smooth vodka will still have the taste of alcohol. It's difficult not to taste alcohol in something that's 40%+ alcohol by volume.

With that said, I find it's one of the easiest drinks to take straight shots of. A good vodka is smooth enough to warrant not using a chaser (something you drink to drown out the taste of alcohol, usually a soda or juice) but any mixes very well. My favorite mix is with orange juice, though Coca-Cola or Pepsi is always welcome.

Edited by K.K. Slider

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

The kind I’ve had was pretty tasteless and odorless. I haven’t tried a broad spectrum of different brands but in general it seems pretty lightweight. The effect may give it away but that’s not really the same thing as taste. If someone put vodka in my morning OJ I’m sure I’d detect it, but it’s fairly subtle as hard liquor goes. I can’t even swallow most hard liquor without coughing and choking. And most taste like death on a bad day. But vodka is okay.