Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How does your neutral facial expression look like?

Anonymous~

*insert logical poll title*  

133 users have voted

1. 1. How does your neutral facial expression look like?

• Hostile
    • Scared
    • Sad
    • Serious
    • Deadpan
    • Happy
    • Flirty
    • "Gangsta"
    • Cute
    • Snobby
    • Peaceful
    • Other (specify)

Just the other day I received a notification from a few people irl. It sounded somewhat like this: "Freckle, why are you so angry and serious all the time? If you don't like us just say it, we will understand". Well, that was a real surprise to me and I decided to look at myself in the mirror. I became really relaxed, chill as a cucumber and I took a look at myself. To my surprise, even though I was in my "neutral mode", I did look quite angry and mad, while I didn't really feel angry nor mad. So, I did some research and found out that it's pretty common for a person to have a neutrally angry grin/facial expression. So, my question is: how does your neutral facial expression look like?

(edited)

My neutral facial expression is a mix of bored, tired and deadpan, but most of the time I just look really bored. Exactly like this:

A pic of anime girl might not be the best example, but her face expression is pretty much dead accurate to mine. The only difference is that my mouth is a bit larger :P

img-1457205-1-46224.jpg

Edited by Soundgarden
  • Brohoof 2

Naturally my face tends to look serious/mad/even sad at times (even though I am serious most of the time :3).

It's probably due to the fact that since you are not really using much in the way of muscles when you are neutral, you don't give off any sort of vibe.  Compared to even raising an eyebrow which ('course, depending how you raise it) can give off good and discerning vibes. So people just assume that if you don't look happy or content even, you're mad, etc. (which tends to annoy me since I'm usually quite happy as well)

(edited)

A lot of people, when not socializing, will look rather angry due to the fact that they are deep in thought. A lot of introverts are like this. I smile a lot when I'm talking to someone, but if they look at me from a distance, I look like I'm gonna punch someone in the face. It's just because I'm deep in thought.

Judging by the fact that most people on the forums are introverted, most here probably have angry or serious neutral faces.

Also, it is generally considered socially acceptable to have a slight smile on your face at all times. So when someone does not display this, they are already singled out as being "not happy."

Edited by Mixolydian Grey
  • Brohoof 3

I have been running around with an angry face for a lot (of my school) time at least, reasons are personal...

I´m trying to keep a happy face, I don´t smile or laugh into people´s faces, but I`m keeping a friendly and a bit interested expression, or I try most of the time.

When I´m with friends I usually am happy, I smile a lot and I love to laugh (even at the dumbest things, I have a simple mind, I guess xD).

(edited)

I would say hostile/tired/serious/bored. A combination of all. I actually kinda studied my "expressions" a while ago...

Edited by Cocodrillo

(edited)

I usually look amused, so I put it under "happy". When I'm thinking hard, I apparently look upset, but my typical expression/attitude towards life is 

tumblr_ml168sh2yM1s3oobro1_250.gif?13668

Although I am most certainly an introvert (ESPECIALLY in the traditional Jungian sense), I have a very expressive face and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

Mine is a slight smile but my mouth is slightly open. It really freaks some people out that I smile everywhere (especially at a shop full of grumpy, middle-aged people).

Hmm...generally a mix of boredom and anger, apparently. 

I do get told often that I have a natural scowl, and sometimes I get asked if i'm bored when i'm just...not paying attention to things and zoning out. 

I also have a weird way of biting my teeth at an angle when I take a photo of myself (NO) on rare occasions, and it makes me look like a total scumbag :3 

(edited)

I think I'd describe my facial expression as peaceful most of the time. 

I'll put on my serious face while gaming and just be smiling when I'm happy :).

Edited by NightOwl

Yeah, people always say I look intensely serious. Like I'm "On a mission" as some Americans have told me :P

I think is because of my appearance in general. Shaved head, and you can't see my mouth because my facial hair completely covers it. I just look serious, but when I express happiness people say I do look happy. Eyebrows up, cheek muscles moving, and the facial hair surrounding my face moves when I smile :lol:

But, even if I'm neutral people say I look really serious. Not in a bad way, but in a busy sort of way.

• Brohoof 1

You know, the internet can be an interesting place. I've seen and read things over the internet that I'd normally never come across in person. I've also met folks and groups of people over the net that are constantly leaving me baffled. An example would be overzealous bronies. I'm not saying you guys are these overly enthusiastic obsessed MLP fans but a lot of them exist and all I can do when I come across them is make this face as I listen to them talk or read their posts: BXnKC.png

I think my neutral facial expression is usually happy or very serious at times. Whatever floats your expression boat. laugh.png

My happy facial expression:

tumblr_lmmwkynqob1qjpsa6o1_r2_500.gif?13

My serious facial expression:

tumblr_mjuv5rqmZq1rkf2rso1_500.gif

Those expressions! :P

I look fucking fantastic. OV2EWJz.gif

loljk. I like to think I look like a cross between cute/happy. I make a sort of face that I only recently became aware of. I think it's a "cute" expression that sort of looks like I don't know what the hell's going on. It's almost condescending, like, "I'm so much better than all of you."

I guess I can describe my neutral face as... Sleepy, calm... And possibly hard to read overall... I think the face of Sweden from Hetalia would describe it well, though I might look a little more sleepy/relaxed:

hws18p4.jpg

Well while I don't typically have a neutral face a whole lot really, mine is just kinda a blank serious face, theres not anger to it really, or not really bordom either, its just kinda there, more serious I guess. 

Sad, the ,,dead fish" xD I get notified about it irl all the time, so I guess it's true. But I'm trying hard to fight it a bit, and not to allow my face to give out false info about my mood (which usually is not sad.).

• 6 months later...

Typically just serious/angry, from what I've heard of others. It might've changed over the years though, as I was typically more gloomy in the past. I just asked my boyfriend and all he said was just "neutral, I dunno." So yeah, there you are.