Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[OFFICIAL] Equestria Girls Trailer

Sanic Screwdriver

86 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like or hate Equestria Girls?

• hate
    • neutral

Maybe this is just a good thing for me, you know, Nostalgia Goggles and all, but it kinda reminds of a Disney produced(read: higher quality) version of the Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon(which, I watched as I kid and I have a soft spot for) 

• Brohoof 1

It certainly looks better than expected but please don't let Twilight fall in love with that guy. It would be the WORST POSSIBLE THING!!! Keep the Mane 6 single for the sake of headcanons everywhere.

Well well now. Things are looking to become very active in the next coming weeks. Whether you like it or not, things are about to get pretty interesting. Time to sit back, relax, and see how people react

6f6.gif

• Brohoof 1

It looked how do I say this, it looked different, obviously this will be a totally new environment but I will saw it looks a lot more interesting than I expected. My only question how long they are expecting to make this 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

computer-meme-guy-1.png

You know, I'm not sure what to make of this. Being one of the people who tried to be optimistic about this whole thing and give Equestrian Girls a shot I want to say this trailer confirmed everything is going to be fine, but at the same time this kinda scared me off.

Positives:

The animation is just as good as FiM's

The character designs look A LOT better in the trailer than in the concept art

All the normal voice actors are returning

There might even be a few brony shout-outs seeing as Vinyl Scratch could clearly be seen.

Negatives:

The end of the trailer seemed to hint at some sort of prom queen thing. Eww...Just no.

The trailer also hints at a relationship with Twilight and....someone. Which if it does happen then okay but I'd rather it not. The only character I could see with a colt-friend is Rarity because of her personality and because it would be in character for her.

If nothing else I'll watch it on Netflix or something just to put my curiosity to rest. But we all have to remember two things;

1. This is a spin-off and will in no way affect the main show.

2. Bronies are NOT the target audience despite a few winks and nods the writers and animators may give us. MLP will always be for little girls the show just happens to have a large adult following. Too many bronies seem to think the show was made with them in mind. It's not and never will be.

Edited by Flareon
  • Brohoof 3

It looked how do I say this, it looked different, obviously this will be a totally new environment but I will saw it looks a lot more interesting than I expected. My only question how long they are expecting to make this 

I think I read somewhere it's like 70min, so not quite the normal feature length. but still longer than three normal episodes strung together.

• Brohoof 1

I'll give this a chance, albeit with a considerable amount of skepticism. 

None of this is going to end up as canon, right? Right?!?

• Brohoof 1

I'm just going to leave this here to answer some concerns before that catch to much steam. You're all welcome, because I guess I was the only one to see this on Facebook:

946367_474885349257886_665500915_n.png

I think I'll pass. 

Maybe it's because I'm still pretty fresh out of high school and really want nothing to do with the subject, but I really don't wanna see this. I don't hate it or anything, it's just not my cup of tea.

I believe the guy is supposed to be Shinning Armour, cause the guy has blue hair and is "white". I just hope that there isn't going to be a Twi/SA thing going on, cause I feel like that could get creepy since they are brother and sister. (not actually related by blood, but you get my point)

• Brohoof 2

It actually looks alright! It looks pretty much just like the show with humans, and the voice actors sound the same as well! Whoo! :D

Too bad it doesn't seem to be coming to theaters in my town, even though we have like two... >_>

Well I'll be on the lookout regardless, and will look forward to seeing it whenever I can! :lol:

Negatives:

The end of the trailer seemed to hint at some sort of prom queen thing. Eww...Just no.

The trailer also hints at a relationship with Twilight and....someone. Which if it does happen then okay but I'd rather it not. The only character I could see with a colt-friend is Rarity because of her personality and because it would be in character for her.

Give them the chance to do the stereotypical girly things in their spin off, rather than in the actual show, I say tongue.png Their goal is to directly compete with toy lines like Monster High, which is stereotypical girl shit xD So, they can't not address boyfriends or anything.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm... my optimistic hesitance continues.

The whole "nerdy/new/uncool person ends up beating the cool person because the entire school suddenly realizes that not being a dick is a good thing" theme is one of my most hated, right up there with "person tries to avoid sleeping so they won't have a horrible recurring nightmare" theme, and "fearless person actually does have a fear, but they hide it at all costs until they are found out, and then others admit to having the same/similar fear" theme.

Also, I really hope they don't go with a generic high school-drama-show-romance thing with Twi and this new guy. But they very well may, because it's popular with the target audience.

Animation should be good, music should be good, fandom references should be good. It's not canon, so no matter how badly it may or may not fuck up, it won't effect FiM, which is good.

The real question is, is a Derpy appearance too risky? Probably :(

On the fence about seeing it in theaters. It'd cost me about $50 to see it, since I'd have to get a bus to the closest theater showing it, about an hour or so away, it really needs to be worth it.

• Brohoof 2

This trailer looks pretty cool. My fear has been it'll turn out to be another stereotypical shallow teen drama type thing, but hey, I'm not going to assume that it is or it isn't. I'll watch it, and not decide whether or not I like it until I do.

If Equestria Girls has the same spirit that MLP: FiM does, though, then I'll probably like it. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Can't wait to see some bronies' reviews!

Like mine, right? img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

Now, on to the trailer. I have been an outspoken critic of EG's promo materials so far, especially the synopsis, but I found this trailer VERY encouraging on several levels. Same voice cast? Check. Wings gone from the human designs? Check. And, as Batbrony said before, the designs themselves work a lot better in action. The animation looks really good.

I have two main problems with the trailer, though. First, the "characters who remind Twilight of the Mane Six" plot point still seems incredibly contrived... why don't they just go with her to start with? Second, it appears the plot will revolve around some sort of prom queen-like contest, which explains how Twilight intends to get this "crown" we've heard about. For one thing, that makes the "most difficult challenge" line from the synopsis look even more eye-rollingly stupid than it already did. For another, that's an incredibly lame plot, though I'm glad the trailer does address why Twilight doesn't just use her magic to immediately solve the problem. Sure, it might be a lazy hand-wave, but at least that question is answered. And given that the horn is gone from the human form, it makes sense.

Overall? I'm MUCH closer to sold on this now than I was, but there remain questions about this project that give me pause. This... might... work...

In any event, I'm now actually kind of looking forward to seeing it, which certainly wasn't the case a few short hours ago.

Edited by Bhending the Rules
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

What in the hell..

Why can't they just make a PONY movie?

With the ponies?

As it's been said, the amount of stereotypes in the trailer is (if I may) too damn high.

The trailer is just..no..just no..

There's so many gifs for how I feel right now.

misfits.gif

4a519_ORIG-leaving_with_disgust.gif

tumblr_lxxgcn9PKZ1r3ovdbo1_500.gif

disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

I've seen too many stereotypical preteen shows (little brother watches them) to see anything positive in this so far.

Edited by Princess Nightingale
  • Brohoof 4

I have a rough feeling in my gut. This movie is going to be a disaster. The very first time FiM hits theaters, and 90% of it takes place in a human high school.

Let me put this into perspective. Imagine if the very first episode you watched of the series had nothing at all to do with the show's mythos, characterization, morals, or storytelling. Basically, imagine if it had been G3.5, a shallow marketing ploy with little to no artistic merit.

Would you have given the show a second chance after a first imperssion like that? Is this really the impression that we want moviegoers to have about the series?

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Not gonna lie, this looks a lot better than I expected. The style looks similar to FiM (It's animated by DHX, after all (isn't it? xD)). I'm still a bit weary about the whole high school deal and them keeping their colors, but we'll see.

EDIT: Just about the only thing good about it I can see so far is that it has the same VA's and the art style is a bit better than the concept art.

Edited by MatrixChicken

I believe the guy is supposed to be Shinning Armour, cause the guy has blue hair and is "white". I just hope that there isn't going to be a Twi/SA thing going on, cause I feel like that could get creepy since they are brother and sister. (not actually related by blood, but you get my point)

There's an interesting thought. Looking at the trailer again, he sounds like SA. Really though I highly doubt that they would go in that direction. We know that McCarthy is the head writer, which is helping to ease my nerves about this.

I'm guessing that the plot is going to be about Twilight having to meet and bond with her friends all over again in order to power the magic needed to get back home. Glad to see the art style isn't as ugly as the promos, and that they don't keep their wings and horns.

(edited)

I can't even believe half you people.....HIGH SCHOOL HIGH SCHOOL HIGH SCHOOL!!!. That's the epitome of the movie. I mean seriously. How is this exciting. Everything looks like ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLqMi5pv3w

Also this sums up the trailer perfectly 

6f8d38c48652603a776e7b1e26edf613.jpgOur villain is a rip off of the angry feminist who argued with the MRA in Toronto 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

I'm still conflicted about the whole thing, but overall I think the trailer definitely gave me some amount of faith in the project. Meghan McCarthy is the head writer, and I have a lot of faith in her. Thankfully, our favorite ponies have some screen time and their voices are in tact. The Crusaders and even Vinyl are present, so there's some thought there. I'm relieved that there's no wings in the human world, and I'm actually excited to see Sunset Shimmer and see how her story plays out. I'm also excited to hear some more of Ingram's tunes but that always goes without saying.

I'm not crazy about Twilight getting wrapped up in a relationship, but I think I'll manage if it's more of a really strong friendship with some implied romantic feeling for viewers who like that sort of thing. I don't want any disgusting high school make-out scenes. Please no. The art style and character designs are still bad no matter how I look at them, but at least the animation is as good as ever. I think this can turn out okay, but I can't say I'm thrilled about it.

I just wanna say that you gotta love Pinkie Pie and Applejack at the end of the trailer. Those two brought a legit smile to my face, and I really want to see the two interact more in season 4. Best part of the whole trailer. smile.png

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Equestria Girls Trailer

Hoping to build on the popularity of My Little Pony, Hasbro is planning a theatrical release as part of a campaign for its brand extension, Equestria Girls.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/05/12/business/media/100000002220706/equestria-girls-trailer.html?ref=media

Ok I admit defeat, I wasn't going to watch the movie out of principle, built actually looks kind of good due to the fact they get the sarcastic humor in the mix 

IMO they should have been able to keep there Horse ears, Tail and face style like Furries are done

this will ether go the way of MLP 3gen were no one wants to admit it happens or it going like MLP 4th gen and be a hit

Edited by MadDoggyca

It's hard to say if I'll be seeing this myself. Like some of the previous comments, I'll be awaiting for more information before seeking a theater which'll be showing EqG. As much as I'm trying to keep an open mind about this, my gut's telling me that this one's going to be strictly for the little ones while the rest of the fandom pretends this never existed in the first place. 

We shall see what time weaves for us.