Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Teenagers going outside vrs staying in

Bunches

How do you guys feel about a parent who forces their child to go outside sometimes and the teenager complaining? My parents did this to me, and I complained at the time, but now that I'm older I see why they did it and am thankful.

A 14 year old on another forum was complaining about it and I responded with this,

I think it's probably a good thing that they are doing this. It's unhealthy to stay inside all day, not to mention socially isolating. At 14+ you should start developing social skills and exploring your world a little more. Also when you say that your parents should "encourage you" and not "force you", why get over the difference between being forced or encouraged and focus on the fact: either way you are going to have to go outside. And why not find your own entertainment outside? Ask a friend to meet up after school? Get a part time job? Get into photography and walk around taking pictures of your neighborhood? Learn yoga, ride a bike, go hiking, start a garden, collect found objects, there are tons of options. Be creative and responsible for your own state of mind... Why does your own entertainment fall onto your parents? They don't owe it to you. This comes to mind, (although I'm sure you've seen it all over facebook)

tumblr_m91mefJZta1qkal74o1_500.png

How do you guys feel about this? Discuss teenagers.

• Brohoof 1

Though I do understand the idea of making your own fun (as it's something I had to do very often in my own childhood), I don't like the idea that a town wouldn't want to have somewhere for teens to go.

That's how my town feels, and they wonder why kids loiter.  Because there's nowhere to fucking go.

• Brohoof 4

Teenagers are dumb. They were dumb when I was a kid, they were dumb when I was a teenager, and they're still dumb now. Kids need to go outside and experience life instead of socially isolating themselves. I can tell you from experience that having no social skills is a miserable experience, and you really only develop social skills by going out and *gasp* actually interacting with people.

(edited)

Though I do understand the idea of making your own fun (as it's something I had to do very often in my own childhood), I don't like the idea that a town wouldn't want to have somewhere for teens to go.

That's how my town feels, and they wonder why kids loiter.  Because there's nowhere to fucking go.

Yeah, with no where to go teenagers will loiter. It's an A + B = C relationship. However, there are endless possibilities of things to do besides "hangout". Go see a movie, go for a bike ride, get a part time job, take up photography, volunteer at your local animal shelter, learn to crochet, start a community garden, there are endless possibilities. For a start, you could write your local legislation and attempt to convince them to open a rec center (or something else) for teenagers. Do research on towns who do have one vs towns who don't. Create a proposal for what you want and why it would beneficial for the town as a whole, not just the teens. Rally support of teens and adults alike. Follow through with what you start. Yes, without a place to go or things to do teenagers will loiter and hangout and do nothing, but loitering isn't okay just because your town doesn't have a place for you all to go. It isn't the town's fault that you are loitering. It is still illegal and frankly, not very fun anyways. It more the mentality of "the town owes me a rec center" that the article is about, not so much whether or not your town actually has a rec center.

Edited by Bunches

However, I don't like the idea that the town "owes" the teens anything. It doesn't. It should provide something (if they understand anything about teenage development), but it isn't obligated to.

"Obligated" is an interesting term in this instance.  I would think that's not how a smart town planner thinks.  Your town has a need, that need should be supplied.  I mean, towns aren't obligated to have places for people to eat, buy groceries, get gasoline, etc.

I can tell you from experience that having no social skills is a miserable experience, and you really only develop social skills by going out and *gasp* actually interacting with people.

This is exactly why parents send their kids outside. And I agree, the social skills you learn in high school and college will apply to almost every aspect of your adult life. They are really important to develop.

Everything said there can apply just as easily to adults as it does to teenagers, I am tired of seeing people sitting around complaining but not doing anything about it because they are waiting for some christ like figure to swoop in and solve all the worlds ills. Far too many people have this learned helplessness where they see problems and they just throw up their hands and go "oh well what are you going to do?"

• Brohoof 1

"Obligated" is an interesting term in this instance.  I would think that's not how a smart town planner thinks.  Your town has a need, that need should be supplied.  I mean, towns aren't obligated to have places for people to eat, buy groceries, get gasoline, etc.

Exactly. I think we agree here on that point. All towns need a place for teens to go. But if they don't have one, it doesn't mean the teens should be allowed to loiter around instead. Loitering is illegal for a reason.

There are many towns and cities who fail to meet all of the needs of their population. One of the problems in my city are food deserts . The Howard park neighborhood is a great example of the part of a community affected by a problem working to fix it together, and succeeding.

I'm not saying that you should go out and start picketing outside your town council building, but you can't place all of the blame on the town. If you want change, someone needs to make it happen. Otherwise, it never will.

(edited)

When you live out in the outskirts of the city and you virtually have nothing around you besides trees, chances are you're going to have to "make up your own fun" every day. The closest friends that live near me is around 9 miles away and there's no bus transportation from my house to the town. And I have no car. So, really, what am I supposed to do?

I do my fair share of chores. I don't want to spend my days strictly doing the dishes and mowing the lean. I know those are important tasks to enable you to increase your work ethic, but seriously, I just wanna hang out. And no, I don't want to spend it playing video games or going on forums either. This is why while I like the country/suburban setting for its peaceful setting and wholesome community, the city has the conveniences for its entertainment areas. My area doesn't have anything other than a McDonald's and a Bar. Pretty boring lol.

However, we do have a park that's in town which lies around 4 miles in length, and it's in a great forest setting. But, again, I'm like 6 miles away from it and I don't have enough money right now to fix my bicycle, so really, I'm at a standstill. I could walk down there but when you live on a State Route, chances are you don't want to get hit by an idiot going 75 MPH lol.

Oh, I'm in college now, but when I go home for breaks and such, it gets REALLY boring for me.

Edited by AegisReflector

I hate people who say "teenagers are dumb." It's such a condescending and redundant phrase, because your teenage years are SUPPOSED to be where you make your mistakes! It's the intended time for large errors, because that way you can learn and adapt before going off and gaining real responsibility. I personally hang out with my friends a ton outside; a lot of them don't even know I spend my time inside on the Internet. If they found out I was on a My Little Pony, or spoke with the vocabulary that I do, I'd be crucified! I don't agree with teenagers in, but I don't agree with the "You owe something to society!" What exactly do we have to offer to society at that age? Adults tend to give advice and tell us "When you're older" which sort of crosses out the option to offer anything back. 

Of course, talented kids everywhere are taking advantage of their own intelligence and doing amazing things. 

I used to go outside almost everyday but once I entered high school, I just got busy from all my classes. When I am done with my homework I usually go ride my bike for an hour or just relax at home. I enjoy being outside but I also enjoy being inside where I have my privacy. I don't think teenagers are getting dumber, it's just a small percentage who make everybody look bad.

I'm 15, and I go out on runs when I can. I feel like parents should tell their kids to go out and do things. However I do like to be online as well.

I go out sometimes, for school and for band events, and for other little events here and there on the side.

That said I don't truly have any friends and haven't actually hung out with anyone per say in over a year now.

I'm just to shy to go out and gain tons of friends and social skills, so i stick to something I'm not terrible at, which is being online I guess.

I don't exactly isolate myself, but I just don't have any friends really to go out with. 

Theres not a whole lot to do around here outside anyways, unless you have friends.

With the world as it is today, it's a bit harder to have a safe environment for a kid to play in. However, it's definitively not impossible!

Another problem is the obesity rates of these kids/teenagers....so of course, playing outside is a natural and fun way to get exercise, while at the same time having fun with friends. I mean, with self-discipline it's quite easy...just for a couple hours or more you can play outside, ride a bike, even go swimming....I think parents should really enforce teenagers and all to play outside! It's good! 

Of course there's nothing wrong with being inside too, but too much time just sitting around isn't that healthy, but as long as you don't do it often it's fine. Just be sure to get some exercise when possible!! Plus you can be hanging out with friends!!! :)

• Brohoof 1

It's been a while since I been going outside, I haven't went outside to play since Elementary School. Since I'm in high school, I barely even have time to go outside due to the large mountain amount of homework. There used to be a time in society, where every teenager went outside to play instead of staying inside Texting,Going on the laptop, or playing video games.

I guess I'll go back to going outside. :P

• Brohoof 1

As a teenager that cant drive yet.Doesnt really have much to do outside.Especially since I live In a dessert.I'd rather stay inside,and play Xbox all day.Than being forced to stay outside doing nothing.It's also impossible to find someone to play with too.Since I only have like 2 friends.

It's been a while since I been going outside, I haven't went outside to play since Elementary School. Since I'm in high school, I barely even have time to go outside due to the large mountain amount of homework. There used to be a time in society, where every teenager went outside to play instead of staying inside Texting,Going on the laptop, or playing video games.

I guess I'll go back to going outside. tongue.png

I know that feel bro. Since I entered high school, I have gotten tons of homework and it takes up all my time. I remember being a kid and being allowed to go outside anytime I want since I had a little bit of homework and the work was just really easy for me.

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I am not forced to go outside, but I do so by my own free will. I will admit that I spend a lot of time indoors, but that is simply a part of living in the modern world.

First off you just can't generalize teenagers by them staying inside all the time. There are many indoor activities that have you placed inside. expect they aren't all productive. I do agree with that small article you put in that first post in ways. I do find people are looking to have fun. All you need is a bit of imagination and work to have fun anywhere. The laziest people just open their hands and expect to be handed something. That's why you have a range of people that lack social abilities because they decide to sit in front of their monitors or TVs all day.

Well, I'm all for getting in some fresh air in my lungs, and working up a good sweat when putting myself on the court or field. I mean the outdoors offer so much. You're limitless to the many activities you can do outside. A personal favorite is just draining all my stressful thoughts out of my head and taking a simple relaxing walk. Having a fun time with friends/family during a bonfire is another favorite.

I'm just a little upset people don't take advantage of what outside gives them. On occasion I do happen to play video games, and watch one of my few favorite shows every so often. I love to sit back and get some entertainment into me, but I don't like it when people excessively sit on their asses.

• Brohoof 1

First off you just can't generalize teenagers by them staying inside all the time. There are many indoor activities that have you placed inside. expect they aren't all productive. I do agree with that small article you put in that first post in ways. I do find people are looking to have fun. All you need is a bit of imagination and work to have fun anywhere. The laziest people just open their hands and expect to be handed something. That's why you have a range of people that lack social abilities because they decide to sit in front of their monitors or TVs all day.

Well, I'm all for getting in some fresh air in my lungs, and working up a good sweat when putting myself on the court or field. I mean the outdoors offer so much. You're limitless to the many activities you can do outside. A personal favorite is just draining all my stressful thoughts out of my head and taking a simple relaxing walk. Having a fun time with friends/family during a bonfire is another favorite.

I'm just a little upset people don't take advantage of what outside gives them. On occasion I do happen to play video games, and watch one of my few favorite shows every so often. I love to sit back and get some entertainment into me, but I don't like it when people excessively sit on their asses.

I think you just spoke my mind haha. This ecspecially All you need is a bit of imagination and work to have fun anywhere. <- So true!

• Brohoof 1

I think you just spoke my mind haha. This ecspecially All you need is a bit of imagination and work to have fun anywhere. <- So true!

I truly think people who be rather pathetic if they were sent back in time. Exposed only to the times where writing, music and art strive. It wouldn't be all so bad if they adapted to it and came back enjoying it. Some people just need exposure so, they can grab the great things that can come out to have some fun!

You can only limit yourself.

Teenagers should stay inside instead of going out and getting all drunk and fucked up on various substances. Seriously, after my teenage years, I'mma tell my teen they can go out on Friday nights but that's it. I've found it far too easy to get away with partying way too hard.

(edited)

I'm 24 and I don't understand this at all. Unless "going outside" can mean going to the mall shopping with my friends. lol.

I spent most of my teenage years inside (well, there was marching band, but that was two years) and I turned out just fine. I just found indoor activities to be so much more fun. I connected more with people online (although this was long before I was courageous about coming out IRL) and playing my instruments (which were ...not all woodwinds at the time *big gasp*). Spending my time inside was much more beneficial for me, if you ask me. But I know, I'm no authority. The internet did turn me into an oh-so-evil atheist and did only help make me more passionate about the rights and fair treatment of women, different races, and LGBT people. (although I can credit that second more to how I was raised). But I know that's not what this inside vs. outside argument is about, so I won't turn it that way.

Anyway, I mean I don't even like the outdoors. It's always too warm where I live, and then there are...bugs... T_T

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

but      but             but                          the internet is inside 

but in all seriousness i do see the importance og going outside very one in a while with friends and stuff but yeah 

i don't see how i should go out and "do something" when there's nothing i can do. i don't exactly have any friends i can go to (i have 1 i've been able to go to twice. that's it), or any job to go to yet, as well. i would gladly go outside more if there were people i could actually meet up with, but when i don't have that, what else can i do?

i may be 18 years old and not a teenager anymore but whatever.