Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who cringed at S1 E8?

wilsonbiggs

The only episodes I've really cringed in were Friendship is Magic Part 2 (For having some of the cheesiest dialogue in anything ever) and Call of the Cutie (For how incredibly idiotic the phrases "cutie mark" and "blank flank" sounded).

• Brohoof 1

On the contrary, I find nothing wrong with that scene, but I have numerous objections to S2E4 "Luna Eclipsed" where it's said "sometimes it's fun to be scared", or in S1E15 "Feeling Pinkie-Keen" wherein it's said "somethings you just gotta believe, even if they don't make sense" because of specific controversies those can infringe upon because of the vaugeness of the terms. Specifically, concerns of things like Fear vs. Instinct vs. Surprise, or Assumption vs. Mystery vs. Faith. Very complex subjects which I found far more irksome than mud masks, by being waived by a small statement.

The only episodes I've really cringed in were Friendship is Magic Part 2 (For having some of the cheesiest dialogue in anything ever) and Call of the Cutie (For how incredibly idiotic the phrases "cutie mark" and "blank flank" sounded).

Cheesy dialogue? The ending actually gave me a feel!

I found it a charming episode to watch. I love it!

The only thing I ever really cringed at was the start of the intro the first time I watched episode 1.

• Brohoof 2

The only thing I ever really cringed at was the start of the intro the first time I watched episode 1.

Really it reminded me of the animation of the Deathly Hallows scene in Harry Potter 7. It was really good.

• Brohoof 1

On the contrary, I find nothing wrong with that scene, but I have numerous objections to S2E4 "Luna Eclipsed" where it's said "sometimes it's fun to be scared", or in S1E15 "Feeling Pinkie-Keen" wherein it's said "somethings you just gotta believe, even if they don't make sense" because of specific controversies those can infringe upon because of the vaugeness of the terms. Specifically, concerns of things like Fear vs. Instinct vs. Surprise, or Assumption vs. Mystery vs. Faith. Very complex subjects which I found far more irksome than mud masks, by being waived by a small statement.

Why must you make everything so complicated, bro? :huh: But I do see your point.

I thought that episode was good, and I certainly ain't girly...but then again, all manliness was lost when I started liking a show with a target demographic of the opposite gender that's a third of my age.

But yeah, I liked the episode a lot. Conflict between AJ and Rarity made me rofl. :)

• Brohoof 1

Really it reminded me of the animation of the Deathly Hallows scene in Harry Potter 7. It was really good.

Don't get me wrong, I love it's charm now... its just my initial reaction, and the confusion that followed.

For the first 5 seconds I was thinking of closing my web browser but the intro song... was better than I expected. Good thing I never closed it. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Cheesy dialogue? The ending actually gave me a feel!

Do you mean it made you feel? You make it sound as though the episode felt you.

Anyhow, you'd be hard pressed to find more cheesy dialogue than:

"But it did! A different kind of spark! I felt it the moment I realized how happy I was to hear you! To see you! How much I cared about you! The spark ignited inside me when I realized that you all are my friends!"

"When those elements are united by the spark that resides in us all, it creates the sixth element: The element of magic!"

Edited by Daring Pony Joe
  • Brohoof 1

As a friend of mine half-jokingly said about "Feeling Pinkie Keen": "Occam's razor is now broken." It was a strange episode, one which seemed to strike at the science vs. faith debate in a not-so-subtle fashion. Lauren Faust states that was not the intent, however, and she was surprised to hear that viewers thought such was the case. I'll take her word for it, though I am somewhat surprised how they missed that given Twilight tries repeatedly to empirically test Pinkie's ability to sense danger, only to throw up her hooves and declare that she cannot understand it, and thus must trust her friends as a result. The message didn't feel very coherent or self-aware; it was a sloppy Aesop, to say the least.

The "sometimes it's fun to be scared" line from "Luna Eclipsed" sounded strange at the time, though I didn't take issue with it. The concept of the episode was delightful---especially with Princess Luna constantly speaking IN THE ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE and using the royal "we"---but the ending felt lackluster. "Why do we accept Princess Luna? 'Cause she can scare the living daylights out of us!" It was as if Twilight pointed out that some ponies enjoy being frightened every once in a while and suddenly the whole town went along with her. I didn't quite... get it.

As for "Look Before You Sleep": I personally thought it was a funny episode, one which poked fun at the whole concept of a slumber party. Applejack effectively represented all of the masculine interests in the room by bucking (no pun intended) the whole notion of having make overs and playing decidedly "girly" games. And Twilight was so adorkable! I found the whole enterprise to be charming with subtle hints of self-satire (i.e., a girls show should have a slumber party episode!).

• Brohoof 3

Do you mean it made you feel? You make it sound as though the episode felt you.

Anyhow, you'd be hard pressed to find more cheesy dialogue than:

"But it did! A different kind of spark! I felt it the moment I realized how happy I was to hear you! To see you! How much I cared about you! The spark ignited inside me when I realized that you all are my friends!"

"When those elements are united by the spark that resides in us all, it creates the sixth element: The element of magic!"

Yes, it made me feel. It wasn't cheesy that much considering what kind of character Twilight was to begin with. No faith in anyone but herself, thinks she doesn't need friends to "help the cause", and just overall a bit arrogant. But hey, I am kind of an emotional guy, so...

Hah, people complaining about girlyness in a girl show thats barely girly? Do you remember that all the main characters are girls?

I must say I'm surprised, from the beggining this actually one of my favorite episodes, I simply loved it, it was rather realistic in comparison with others, and Twilight was super extra adorable, she was just like a little girl, I simply loved her innoncence in the episode.

You had a Twilight who wanted to do everything by the book (funny she was like that in her first slumber party, I wonder how she would be in some other first things...) wich of course had generic stuff wich you see on TV, and you had Rarity, who of course is naturally girly acting all mature trying to do things right for twilight while acting stupidly towards Applejack, and you had manly Applejack manlying the episode up and fighting with Rarity wich was the best thingy ever! And you had them playing truth or dare terribly wrong wich wasnt so nice...

But generally it was a great episode!

Now, on the other hand... Giggle at the Ghosties?! And everypony laughs without any reason?! I just couldn't stand that. I totally hated the second episode of the worst season, not only because of it childishness at times, but also because they defeated the bad guy right there.

But yeah, the very little girlyness on the show I can totally stand and I even like, I mean it's natural, girls act like that and I like girls, the childishness however, I cant stand. I always cringe a little with every letter to princess celestia

• Brohoof 3

Hah, people complaining about girlyness in a girl show thats barely girly? Do you remember that all the main characters are girls?

I must say I'm surprised, from the beggining this actually one of my favorite episodes, I simply loved it, it was rather realistic in comparison with others, and Twilight was super extra adorable, she was just like a little girl, I simply loved her innoncence in the episode.

You had a Twilight who wanted to do everything by the book (funny she was like that in her first slumber party, I wonder how she would be in some other first things...) wich of course had generic stuff wich you see on TV, and you had Rarity, who of course is naturally girly acting all mature trying to do things right for twilight while acting stupidly towards Applejack, and you had manly Applejack manlying the episode up and fighting with Rarity wich was the best thingy ever! And you had them playing truth or dare terribly wrong wich wasnt so nice...

But generally it was a great episode!

Now, on the other hand... Giggle at the Ghosties?! And everypony laughs without any reason?! I just couldn't stand that. I totally hated the second episode of the worst season, not only because of it childishness at times, but also because they defeated the bad guy right there.

But yeah, the very little girlyness on the show I can totally stand and I even like, I mean it's natural, girls act like that and I like girls, the childishness however, I cant stand. I always cringe a little with every letter to princess celestia

And that's why season 2 is better than season 1... in most aspects. For example, AJ's letter to the princess last episode was pretty funny.

And that's why season 2 is better than season 1... in most aspects. For example, AJ's letter to the princess last episode was pretty funny.

wow, did I actually type worst instead of first? I really didnt mean that.

I am a girly guy, and I thought it was adorable.

It showed the annoyance two girls can have for one another, and how they can put it aside.

I wouldnt say I am a girly guy, but I am definately able to cry, and have feelings other than hatred, which is what i see in other guys. Though, in public, i wear the mask of big tough guy, because I am the biggest in my school and its easier than being picked on by everyone and getting into a fight. speaking of masks... look for the fan fic "the masks we all wear" it goes very well with the last episode, read it and weep

That was one of my favorite episodes of season 1. I didn't care if they had a sleepover. Rarity and Applejack were amusing and funny when they associated with each other, and Twilight Sparkle was freakin' adorable.