Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who cringed at S1 E8?

wilsonbiggs

Whew. Just read the thread and got a lot of replies to make... :P

But first, OP: I actually liked it. I mean, they're girls, so...

Of course I, myself, would be bored out of my mind at such a sleepover (since my good ones usually have ~8 people, two xbox's and system linking halo 2, or nowadays, xbox 360's and halo reach :D )

But still, I can understand, symphasize, emphasize with them. That's the thing I love about girls. They don't seem to have quiet as much a social mask on as guys do. They're not afraid to "expose" themselves to eachother, as in show weakness, I guess. Whereas it's terribly uncomfortable for us guys to ever show any weakness. It's a little bit of a barrier that makes life a little lonely. That's how I feel about it, anyways.

(I mean, not always true, but generally speaking. Lol, I'm writing this while I'm looking at Demi's signature, which shows Fluttershy, and it's certainly the case with her, anyways.)

Kind of. One part I kinda cringe at is Twilight saying: "Hurray slumber party!"

Lol, I just think she was adorkable the whole episode.

I swear Twilight acted just like Pinkie Pie in this episode.

Yeah, "Pinkie Pie the Genius". By the end of it, I was thinking that she actually knew better, and was playing dumb the whole time to try and settle Rarity and AJ's differences. I mean, if you look at how it played out, that actually makes a lot of sense. For a genius like Twilight, it's hard to believe she seriously didn't notice all the friction between Rarity and AJ.

The only episodes I've really cringed in were Friendship is Magic Part 2 (For having some of the cheesiest dialogue in anything ever) and Call of the Cutie (For how incredibly idiotic the phrases "cutie mark" and "blank flank" sounded).

Actually, Call of the Cutie I detested #1. Because it didn't use the 6 well-established characters, which are what I like about the show, #2 because it seemed too pointed at just small children (whereas the rest of the show is pointed more broadly at everyone, Faust has said), and most of all, #3, the scene where they performed on stage was painful to sit through. It wasn't that bad, it's just I was feeling the emberrasement like it was actually happening to me, and it wasn't good. Both those things together... Was just too much. They really did an awful performance, lol.

Really it reminded me of the animation of the Deathly Hallows scene in Harry Potter 7. It was really good.

I think he means the opening intro to every episode.

If it wasn't for that flippin' amazing, epic animation at the start of the series, I wouldn't be on these forums. That opening intro was so amazingly epic compared to anything I could've expected, that It hooked me enough for me to try the first three episodes. Some things made me cringe a little, like "unicorn powers", but I was kinda able to brush it off for the LOTR-type epicness the backstory had.

As for the opening intro to the series, the first bit is really cheesy, but after awhile I got used to it, and I realized Faust really put a great spin on it, where it goes from all soft like G1-G3, with the lines "My Little Pony, My Little Pony", then Rainbow Dash shows up, the guitars start, and it totally changes into G4 awesomeness, more than 20% cooler :D lol. Now I just find it really catchy and lovable.

Do you mean it made you feel? You make it sound as though the episode felt you.

Anyhow, you'd be hard pressed to find more cheesy dialogue than:

"But it did! A different kind of spark! I felt it the moment I realized how happy I was to hear you! To see you! How much I cared about you! The spark ignited inside me when I realized that you all are my friends!"

"When those elements are united by the spark that resides in us all, it creates the sixth element: The element of magic!"

I was really expecting friendship, not magic, but I guess friendship IS magic, so, yeah...

There's some types of cheesiness I like. That was cheesy in a good way :P

[...]

Now, on the other hand... Giggle at the Ghosties?! And everypony laughs without any reason?! I just couldn't stand that. I totally hated the second episode of the worst season, not only because of it childishness at times, but also because they defeated the bad guy right there.

But yeah, the very little girlyness on the show I can totally stand and I even like, I mean it's natural, girls act like that and I like girls, the childishness however, I cant stand. I always cringe a little with every letter to princess celestia

Yeah, that really bothered me how they all laughed just because Pinkie was laughing. But I dunno. Sometimes you just gotta be there to find something funny. I guess if you're out scared in the woods, and get all super worked up and terrified, then someone just starts laughing at whatever's scary, and you realize it's harmless, then I guess the relief of tension, plus their laughter, might make you laugh.

Lol, as of writing that paragraph, I now understand why they were laughing B)

Yeah, It's kinda too bad they defeated Nightmare Moon so early, but at the same time, the show is about the characters, not the epic struggle to defeat Nightmare Moon. And they didn't have a choice but to use an adventure-a-week format, once they finished the first season two-parter.

Once again, though, I don't find those letters too cheesy. I kinda like them. In fact, in the "Cutie Mark Chronicles", the letter at the end kinda made me tear a little...

And trust me, I don't cry easy, so that's quiet an achievement!

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

I really liked it! It was just so adorable! Twilight, who never had any close friends before, just wanted to do all the fun things she missed out on. I bet she read her book on sleepovers a bunch of times, wishing she had friends to try it out with!
  • Brohoof 1

Do you mean it made you feel? You make it sound as though the episode felt you.

"X gave me a feel" is popular to use on sites like 4chan and Funnyjunk. People often reply with this phrase when a post causes an emotional effect (typically a sad one) on them, thus the post "gave" them a feel(ing).

Posted Image

Edited by Nordica

To be honest, I feel it is the weakest episode of the first season. Yes, it has some nice bits that I do like, especially adorkable Twilight with her checklist, but I don't feel the episode developed a proper flow, and frankly the concept of them having a sleepover at their age is absurd. They're all adults, yet here they acted probably the youngest they've ever acted in the entire span of the show, outside of flashbacks to their foalhood. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice for an episode to rewatch either, though I would certainly choose it before choosing...Mare Do Well...

Note also that just because I feel it is the weakest episode relatively speaking does not mean I feel it is a truly terrible episode or anything of that nature. As I said it does have some nice bits, and the message isn't a bad one either. It just has too many negative qualities for me to really enjoy it all that much.

The episode did not make me cringe any more than any other episode with awkward/embarrassing/unfortunate events. The episode held up to the overall quality of the show, which makes it well past okay in my book. It had charm, it had fun, and it had ponies. Then again, I'm an easy man to please.

Whenever someone does some silly mistake and tries to hide or run or is terribly agitated over it, I feel like hiding behind my chair and going "Oh noooo!" I've never been good at handling those scenes. That's probably the most frequent cause of cringes for me. Which leaves me hiding behind my keyboard quite a lot ("no Spike, don't try to hide it, nononooooo!")

Well as a guy, I actually didn't cringe at this episode. I found Twilight's naive nature about slumber parties amusing, and while it was a typical sleepover, I feel the writer still did a great job with making it interesting.

Wanna cringe? Watch any of the G3 episodes/movies. (Just my opinion, but all 3 episodes I've tried to watch were just too much.)

I didn't cringe in fact It is one of my favorite episodes. ;)

The humour is great and the AJ/Rarity conflict hilarious(especially the bed and the pillow fight scene)

And I also like how the focus in this episode was rather on the dialogue(and mimic) than on actions,

Even if the sleepover theme may sound girly the episode uses it to focus on the friendship of the characters. I loved it :)

Well, i watch most of the episodes in a dark room alone, with tons of sugar running trough my veins...so im easily affected by the things that happen in the show... :blink:

Alright it was a little bit girly, but what would you expect? Sure didn't make me cringe, I loved that episode!

But like what SirFrog said, It could've been worse! Just imagine what a girl-sleepover episode would be in G3? D:

*Thinks about this. Vomits and falls over dead.*

Don't even want to think about it.

Okay, first off: I'm a boy. I'm a proud Brony (nobody cares at school). However, Look Before You Sleep made me cringe the whole time. Makeovers? I know, it's targeted for girls. But what do you think?

I'm really girly...so I really loved that episode...can't say I relate! :D Infact it was one of my favorites! Edited by glitterlicious

By the time I'd watched the first 3 or so episode and realised how much I loved it, I pretty much stopped noticing how girly it can be. I never even considered it to be a particularly girly episode until I saw this :)

I agree with Ponypunk 100%. I only want to add that I thought it was also very entertaining that Twilight was so busy trying to be girly "be the book" that for a good portion of the episode she was completely oblivious to the conflict around her.

It was a nice episode, I liked it C:

The only thing I really cringe at are the embarrassing parts, such as when Fluttershy gets laughed at when Twilight tries making her screw up so she could stop being a model. But that's because I feel sorry for the characters, I know what it's like to be laughed at :(

I'm gonna go out and say this: for the creators of the show to actually listen to the fans is something I will respect them for over and over and over again. But after hearing Rainbow Dash say Derpy, it just sounded out of place. Couldn't really get over it and now I wish that she would've been called Ditzy.

I had the exact same reaction.

No, I didn't cringe at S1 E8. There have been far girlier episodes than that to choose from. That one doesn't strike me as a particularly girly episode. Anyway, what's wrong with girliness? I hate this stigma that being girly has on it. It's ridiculous and implies that femininity is unfavourable.

That episode didn't make me cringe when I watched it, rather it just reminds me of this:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRo_ZxXXJg

I hate this stigma that being girly has on it. It's ridiculous and implies that femininity is unfavourable.

I think the stigma is more against males liking girly things. But yes, it is a silly proposition. People should be free to have their own opinions and tastes.

When I watched this episode I was afraid it would be a lot worse but I found it really entertaining. Most likely because Applejack is my favourite and I think she really helped balance out the girliness.