Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how many disabled bronies are out there?

Unique Pinkie Pie

I'm not disabled, however, I do have a couple of friends outside of the internet who are disabled and I help them in anyway I can.

Also through the internet, but not much.

By the way, sorry for hearing about your disabilities, I'm here for ya!

Always happy to help anyone!

• Brohoof 1

I was diagnosed with Autism at age 2 after losing what little language I had (I regained it age 5) and started exhibiting severe behavioral problems and sensitivities to sounds and sensations. After years of therapies and  interventions I advanced to the point where most people can't tell I have Autism. When I was first diagnosed I was profoundly disabled but today due to how far I have come I wouldn't really call myself disabled today but my brain still works very differently than most peoples brains do and because of that I still have certain challenges like dealing with crowds and loud noises for example though I have improved in that regard a great deal.

• Brohoof 4

A pegasister with ADD over here. And if anyone feels adventurous enough to say that it isn't a real disability, it is plenty real to me, and I do think my quality of life is improved by those medications, which do not turn me into a zombie or stifle my creativity. 

I bet there's plenty of disabled bronies around, just like in any walk of life. But what the OP and I have most in common isn't the disability part; it's the brony part. smile.png

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I have ADD that can spontaneously change to ADHD at any given time. On top of that, I've been diagnosed with Asberger's, but I feel like it was more just mild Autism. I honestly feel like I've outgrown that. I've come a long way since elementary school, which was when I acted completely insane. Looking back on it, I can't even laugh about it, it's just so awkward it's sad.

Anyway, I feel like I'm pretty social for the most part, and people seem to like me, so I guess everything turned out okay.

Having ADD still sucks though, but I take meds which work, so I'm pretty happy with my life.

Edited by Betez

I actually have to say theres quite alot of people with different disabilities around, honestly I almost feel like theres more then people without :P. Depending on what you consider a disability I guess.

I actually kinda feel left out not having any, is that weird xD?

Regardless I have plenty of respect for disabled people, i know alot of people who have disabilities of all kinds, but honestly I find them to be some of the coolest people regardless :P.

Plus I already have a hard enough time in life sometimes without any disabilities  so having to deal with crap in life and disabilities  Yeah y'all are way tougher then I'll ever be.

Actually on a somewhat related note my mom actually had took me and my brother to an eye doctor a while ago when we where younger and apparently somehow he said we had dyslexia apparently, my mother never got us properly screened and we where homeschooled so obviously the school wasn't going to, but somehow she decided that it was a good idea to make it seem as if she was 100% sure. 

Well turns out a couple years later I brought it up to her and she told me we weren't really, which I didn't know since well i was young when this happend anyways, so basically I felt kinda lied to for it. 

I did have pretty crappy spelling until like late 7th grade or maybe 8th grade, and my handwriting sucked(It doesn't suck as much now, but it still is pretty bleh ;P) 

Still i suppose it just must be my mom being a poor English teacher or something, or maybe I'm just kinda dumb for English idk.

I guess to be fair I did start doing research on it and while finding out a crap ton of info on it started to think I wasn't exhibiting enough of the symptoms really, especially considering I never had any special help either.

So yeah I don't know how likely it is i'm dyslexic, I guess the problems aren't present enough to matter anyways, and dyslexia screenings are apparently expensive.

But yeah as far as disabilities I don't have any,(Well that I'm aware of) I'm actually gonna have to admit I get curious about how it'd be with some of them at times. Even though I know I probably don't want to know, maybe I just want to be able to better empathize with the people, or maybe I'm just plain curious idk.

Anyways, I'm rambling on enough, bottom line I don't have any disabilities I know of as of now, but I have plenty of respect for those who do :).

• Brohoof 1

I have pretty bad ADD. Like, REALLY bad. For instance, today, our school has exams early, and of course, I forgot to take my medicine. I practically had a hyper fit today. I was off the walls, saying random sh*t, looking at the clock, legs shaking, singing songs, and other things. My teachers and classmates were constantly telling me to calm down and stuff. I have it a lot better than some people though, because all my friends have problems with ADD or ADHD. 

• Brohoof 1

But yeah as far as disabilities I don't have any,(Well that I'm aware of) I'm actually gonna have to admit I get curious about how it'd be with some of them at times. Even though I know I probably don't want to know, maybe I just want to be able to better empathize with the people, or maybe I'm just plain curious idk.

The biggest thing, for me at least, is just the fact that I don't think of myself as "that girl with disabilities". Few people with disabilites do, I suspect. We've got our own identities, and just respecting that is enough for me. We're people who have disabilities, not disabilities that belong to people, if you get what I'm saying. They're just things we've got to deal with.

• Brohoof 3

I have PDD-NOS (aka atypical autism), had it since I was 4. I sometimes think some people negatively use it, like to make fun of me or use it to my disadvantage. 

• Brohoof 1

The biggest thing, for me at least, is just the fact that I don't think of myself as "that girl with disabilities". Few people with disabilites do, I suspect. We've got our own identities, and just respecting that is enough for me. We're people who have disabilities, not disabilities that belong to people, if you get what I'm saying. They're just things we've got to deal with.

I get what your saying, I guess I just kinda get curious how different i'd be with em. Not that I mean that the disabilities define people or something, sorry if you found that offensive or anything, I didn't mean for it to come off that way.

The majority of people I know with these disabilities you wouldn't really know they had em anyways unless they told you, they have infact learned to take hold of them and show them whos boss.

But yeah I think i mostly get what your saying, I'm just a very curious person. :P.

• Brohoof 1

Well I don't have anything but my heart goes out to anyone that does have anything... take care all of you (: Also.. if anyone needs to talk about anything im a good person for that... I wont tell I swear (:

(edited)

So yeah I don't know how likely it is i'm dyslexic, I guess the problems aren't present enough to matter anyways, and dyslexia screenings are apparently expensive.

That is a good attitude to take if you are dyslexic it is a part of you without question but it sounds like it is a part of you that you learned to manage and if not than it dosen't change who you are right now. I have no doubt that I am a different person than I would have been because of my experiences but I think I am much better for those experiences even as difficult as some of them were, I think much of my sense of justice came from this as well as my upbringing. It has also granted me the unique opportunity to help others in a similar situation and I intend to take that, we have come a long way but there are still many misconceptions about Autism and other neurological differences and I am doing what I can to get the facts out there. I just need to make more youtube videos about it and get my book done so I can get it published.

It is very common for people to get diagnosed with certain complex disorders until later in their lives and some not at all, it has been speculated that Einstein may have been Autistic, it wouldn't surprise me as he exhibited quite a few of the signs of it and when he was younger and these doctors thought he was retarded because of it.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

I have severe Aspergers Syndrome, crippling anxiety problems, and Hydrocephalus. There have been quite a few people that have drastically underestimated my problems. I have tons of social problems, I have nervous twitches, anger issues (that sometimes lead to self harm), and a few other specifics.

I have been trying to just accept myself lately. I often feel inferior to others because of things that I cannot do (like drive for example) but I am a nice person, or I try to be. I just stay out of everyone's way if I can.

• Brohoof 1

That is a good attitude to take if you are dyslexic it is a part of you without question but it sounds like it is a part of you that you learned to manage and if not than it dosen't change who you are right now. I have no doubt that I am a different person than I would have been because of my experiences but I think I am much better for those experiences even as difficult as some of them were, I think much of my sense of justice came from this as well as my upbringing. It has also granted me the unique opportunity to help others in a similar situation and I intend to take that, we have come a long way but there are still many misconceptions about Autism and other neurological differences and I am doing what I can to get the facts out there. I just need to try to making more youtube videos about it and get my book done so I can get it published.

It is very common for people to get diagnosed with certain complex disorders until later in their lives and some not at all, it has been speculated that Einstein may have been Autistic, it wouldn't surprise me as he exhibited quite a few of the signs of it and when he was younger and these doctors thought he was retarded because of it.

Well I don't really remember having any issues and still don't have any issues like really comprehending words or the such, it doesn't ever jumble for me.

I think the worst thing that ever happens to me is sometimes I'll lose my place from line the line, but thats become quite rare.

I just feel like I don't exhibit enough symptoms to make the assumption I am dyslexic, i think its more just poor teaching from my mother on English early on I guess. Or just being overall bad at English idk.

I'm glad to hear you've learned to not only conqure but even embrace and help others using your disability  its amazing some of the things people like you can do. People with disabilities have all kinds of other little advantages in other areas to. 

According to my research it's possible for people with disabilities to have a stronger sense of justice, which is good I think, I have a sense of justice for sure myself, despite no apparent Disorders, but yeah :P.

I think having the power to overcome something like you do is quite a feat, and makes you better prepared for the future in life and in doing things, it can be a beneficial experience in some cases really. Like I said thats one of the main reasons I have respect for people with disabilities  I mean I have my life and issues in my life I complain about, and then theres someone with similar or the same issues and they also have disabilities and such to deal with or have dealt with, yet I end up being the one unable to handle it alot of times.

Its great to hear you've overcome it though for the most part, good luck with your book and videos and the such.

And yeah I know its common to not even have a disablity, its just I feel like despite that everyone around me has some kind of problem of some time, some more uncommon then others, and I just feel kinda left out sometimes I guess idk. I'm just weird xD.

I don't think I'm dyslexic, I guess officially I won't know, but the symptoms don't appear noticeable enough to me really if there even present at all for me to say the chance is high enough to worry.

I'm not physically disabled but I have a lot of mental quirks, some of which I take medication for. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at 5, Panic and Anxiety disorder at 15 and I have also unofficially diagnosed myself with ADD and mild OCD.

• 5 years later...