Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Whaddaya know, I has computer problems!

MatrixChicken

Well, what do ya know? Yet another pony with computer issues. Before I get started, I'll just say that my computer is running Windows 7.

Lately, (and by lately, I mean for the past few months because I was always too lazy to figure out how to fix this) my computer has been starting up to nothing but a blank white screen and the mouse pointer. It goes through the boot screens nicely, and even shows the login screen with the two user accounts I have. I select mine, and after the "Welcome" screen is done, a blank white screen and the cursor show up. Within around 30 seconds or so, the taskbar shows up, and then the background loads and some silly startup programs open.

Now, this isn't really a huge problem, but I die a little every time I start up my computer because I know that it isn't normal, and my computer has something wrong with it.

As I said, it isn't a big problem, but I'd like to be able to start up my computer and see a glorious background and a custom start orb and other stuffs that all these other ponies have, and not have to go through an ugly blank white screen to get there.

Now, this started happening, as I said, a few months back, not long after I switched out my Start orb for a custom pony one. I disregarded the warnings and didn't create a backup first. :P Even so, there should be a way to fix this.

If any of you know how to remedy this, it would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! :catface:

Hmmm.... I've had the exact same thing. Sometimes it fixes itself after booting a couple of time, sometimes it doesn't and that means you'll need to use System Restore to fix it.

So, I'd advise you reboot it a few times or more first to see if it fixes itself. If not, then:

1. Reboot it and hold down F8 during boot. A menu will appear.

2. Select 'Safe Mode' with arrow keys and press Enter.

3. Windows will boot in safe mode.

4. When it's booted, go to your start menu and search for 'system restore'.

5. Run it, and select a restore point that was BEFORE the issue occurred for the first time.

6. Let it restore itself and afterwards reboot it.

7. PROFIT!

Linux, install it

Do you possibly have a backup disc or partition? I know older PCs have recovery discs, but most new PCs are disc-less, instead you press a key when you boot up your PC and it goes into a recovery mode.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

run a virus scan get this http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner run the registry cleaner, uninstall anything you do not use, and i mean ANYTHING!. after that it should be better 

So, I'd advise you reboot it a few times or more first to see if it fixes itself. If not, then:  

i don't think they need to completely reinstall their OS try virus scans, registry cleaners, and unistalling if it still does not work, THEN do the system restore

Edited by Luna forever

Whatever you do, don't upgrade to WIndows 8....made for tablets, not for desktops. I am not all too familiar with anything past Windows XP...but I like Linux personally.  I had to install Windows 8 for my boss last month, and he insisted we use that OS...I would have preferred 7, and he is Mennonite.  I had to figure out 8 so I could show him...@.@

• Brohoof 1

Whatever you do, don't upgrade to WIndows 8....made for tablets, not for desktops. I am not all too familiar with anything past Windows XP...but I like Linux personally.  I had to install Windows 8 for my boss last month, and he insisted we use that OS...I would have preferred 7, and he is Mennonite.  I had to figure out 8 so I could show him...@.@

Honestly, I don't mind 8.

Also, I cannot put Linux on my laptop cause the parts seem to be made to work in 8 only (Debian 7 would not recognize my monitor at all.).

Honestly, I don't mind 8.

Also, I cannot put Linux on my laptop cause the parts seem to be made to work in 8 only (Debian 7 would not recognize my monitor at all.).

I have not yet encountered that problem with any computer I've dealt with.  Though, all my compy's I bought with nothing on them to begin with.  I use Xubuntu, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint...never tried Debian...That's the fun with Linux, so much to choose from img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

I don't like 8 because of the tablet-ness of it.  I don't own a tablet, nor have I played with one.  I have a plain jane flip phone, and other than computers, am not into the latest gizmo's and gadgets....

First off... Thanks for replying, guys. :P

Hmmm.... I've had the exact same thing. Sometimes it fixes itself after booting a couple of time, sometimes it doesn't and that means you'll need to use System Restore to fix it.

1. Reboot it and hold down F8 during boot. A menu will appear.

2. Select 'Safe Mode' with arrow keys and press Enter.

3. Windows will boot in safe mode.

4. When it's booted, go to your start menu and search for 'system restore'.

5. Run it, and select a restore point that was BEFORE the issue occurred for the first time.

6. Let it restore itself and afterwards reboot it.

7. PROFIT!

I may be wrong, but wouldn't this delete anything I did after said restore point? I have a ton of vectors and images and other stuffs that I made after it started hapening, and I don't want them gone... Would doing this delete those files?

(edited)

First off... Thanks for replying, guys. :P

I may be wrong, but wouldn't this delete anything I did after said restore point? I have a ton of vectors and images and other stuffs that I made after it started hapening, and I don't want them gone... Would doing this delete those files?

A system restore, as far as I know, only affects recently installed programs and system changes, not user files. I think that might be the case, but to be safe, make a zip file containing your vectors and put it on a site like Google Drive or another file hosting site. Edited by Red Talon

(edited)

What kind of PC are you using? I just wanna know because it might be a hardware related issue. Do you know how old your PC is? When did it start doing this?

It's a Dell Inspiron 620. My sister and I bought it sometime in 2011, I think... And as for when it started happening, like I said, I think it was a few months ago in 2012, not long after I customized my start orb.

Edited by MatrixChicken

You could boot up Ubuntu Linux and recover what files you need, then re-install Windows. Ubuntu I'm pretty sure still recognizes NTFS drives. And you can boot Ubuntu from CD, so no need to install it on anything.

(edited)

It's a Dell Inspiron 620. My sister and I bought it sometime in 2011, I think... And as for when it started happening, like I said, I think it was a few months ago in 2012, not long after I customized my start orb.

As I said in my other post, I highly recommend doing a system restore from a restore point. But did you scan your PC for viruses and did you uninstall the orb?

Edited by Red Talon

(edited)

As I said in my other post, I highly recommend doing a system restore from a restore point. But did you scan your PC for viruses and did you uninstall the orb?

Yep, a couple days ago, I ran a complete system scan with Avast Antivirus. It found a few files, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do there... And yeah, I restored back to the original orb and it still does this.

I wish I didn't have to risk anything... It's not like it's a huge problem or anything... :P

Edited by MatrixChicken

(edited)

Just sounds like your computer just needs its ram or processor updated or there's even the possibility that some of your RAM sticks have fried. Although then again, I doubt that you need to do any of this considering how recent you acquired it. It could also be the background itself. I had a previous encounter where I had an awesome wallpaper, yet for whatever reason that background would bring my start up to a crawl. After changing it to a different wallpaper, the issue solved itself. 

You may also want to disable some startup programs to speed up the overall process of your computers boot time. You mentioned that you had some silly programs automatically starting up, so it may be a good idea to disable or just uninstall them if you don't use them on a regular basis. If you have more programs starting up and your computer can't handle it, it will kill your boot time. A bit more extreme method would be to backup your files and reformat your HD. I usually do this every 1-5 years just to clear out any files/programs I'm not aware of. 

P.S. Don't forget about defragging your Hard Drive. If you haven't done that in a while, give it a go (it can take a LONG TIME depending on how much is in it!)

Edited by Accellerant

Yep, a couple days ago, I ran a complete system scan with Avast Antivirus. It found a few files, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do there... And yeah, I restored back to the original orb and it still does this.

I wish I didn't have to risk anything... It's not like it's a huge problem or anything... :P

Hmm, you say that you found a few files. What were the files? Did AVAST label them as high-threat or something? If it gives you the option, quarantine the files. It will put it in a secluded part on your hard drive, where they can't do damage, and you can then decide if you want to keep them or remove them.

• 1 month later...

Oog. I have recently run into a different problem... A couple days ago, I was playing some multiplayer Minecraft with a friend. It was a personal server being run on the same PC I was playing on. It was all fine for a few minutes, but then, all of a sudden, my computer just crashed! It didn't just freeze up or anything, it turned completely off! I thought it was just going to be a one-time-deal sort of thing, so I rebooted the computer and started playing again. After a few minutes, it did it again. I decided to be done with multiplayer Minecraft until I could figure out what was wrong. So then, fast forward a few days to today. I was playing some World of Tanks with another friend, and that was going just dandy for quite a while, maybe half an hour or so. Then this dialogue box popped up. It had a bunch of chinese-y looking text, and then it said something about DsLauncher.exe having an error. I either clicked okay or X, I can't remember... And then it did the same thing! Just turned off!

So, I looked up DsLauncher.exe, and while I did find a bunch of websites telling me to download a DsLauncher fixer tool, none of them were really professional-looking, and I wasn't sure if they were reputable or not. So if you've had problems with DsLauncher before, and you know how to solve them, could you please let me know? I'd be forever grateful. :3

Oog. I have recently run into a different problem... A couple days ago, I was playing some multiplayer Minecraft with a friend. It was a personal server being run on the same PC I was playing on. It was all fine for a few minutes, but then, all of a sudden, my computer just crashed! It didn't just freeze up or anything, it turned completely off! I thought it was just going to be a one-time-deal sort of thing, so I rebooted the computer and started playing again. After a few minutes, it did it again. I decided to be done with multiplayer Minecraft until I could figure out what was wrong. So then, fast forward a few days to today. I was playing some World of Tanks with another friend, and that was going just dandy for quite a while, maybe half an hour or so. Then this dialogue box popped up. It had a bunch of chinese-y looking text, and then it said something about DsLauncher.exe having an error. I either clicked okay or X, I can't remember... And then it did the same thing! Just turned off!

So, I looked up DsLauncher.exe, and while I did find a bunch of websites telling me to download a DsLauncher fixer tool, none of them were really professional-looking, and I wasn't sure if they were reputable or not. So if you've had problems with DsLauncher before, and you know how to solve them, could you please let me know? I'd be forever grateful. :3

A quick search points to DsLauncher possibly being Dell DataSafe, which makes since you're on a dell. If it keeps crashing search for a repair tool in your dell files or on the dell website.

I had issues with my PC turning itself off when I had an Alienware (they're made by dell) turns out my RAM wasn't correctly seated, so I reseated it and reseated my hard-drives too and the problem seemed to ease off. You could try this, just be careful reseating th RAM, don't ouch the contact points and make sure you unclip and clip it in properly, find a YouTube guide if you're unsure of what you are doing.

If this fails, system restore us your best bet, it won't mess with user lies, your pictures should be fine, but if you are concerned then upload them to drive or Dropbox.

It sounds like your PC is overheating. Do your computer's fans spin up rapidly when you reboot after it shuts down? More importantly, have you cleaned it out recently? Remember that keeping a computer clean is important.

I had this problem before with an older laptop and TF2. It's a feature of nVIDIA (I think AMD too) drivers to automatically shut down a computer when it runs hot for too long to keep the heat from damaging your internals.

A quick search points to DsLauncher possibly being Dell DataSafe, which makes since you're on a dell. If it keeps crashing search for a repair tool in your dell files or on the dell website.

I had issues with my PC turning itself off when I had an Alienware (they're made by dell) turns out my RAM wasn't correctly seated, so I reseated it and reseated my hard-drives too and the problem seemed to ease off. You could try this, just be careful reseating th RAM, don't ouch the contact points and make sure you unclip and clip it in properly, find a YouTube guide if you're unsure of what you are doing.

If this fails, system restore us your best bet, it won't mess with user lies, your pictures should be fine, but if you are concerned then upload them to drive or Dropbox.

I was thinking it might be DataSafe... I'll check into that if it keeps on happening... Thanks!

It sounds like your PC is overheating. Do your computer's fans spin up rapidly when you reboot after it shuts down? More importantly, have you cleaned it out recently? Remember that keeping a computer clean is important.

I had this problem before with an older laptop and TF2. It's a feature of nVIDIA (I think AMD too) drivers to automatically shut down a computer when it runs hot for too long to keep the heat from damaging your internals.

That is a possibility... I never notice my fans running loudly, but maybe I'm just not paying attention. :P

I assume you're talking about physically cleaning it, as in taking the case off the computer and getting rid of dust and such? If that's the case, then no, I haven't really cleaned it at all... I might have to try that. Thanks!

I was thinking it might be DataSafe... I'll check into that if it keeps on happening... Thanks!

That is a possibility... I never notice my fans running loudly, but maybe I'm just not paying attention. :P

I assume you're talking about physically cleaning it, as in taking the case off the computer and getting rid of dust and such? If that's the case, then no, I haven't really cleaned it at all... I might have to try that. Thanks!

If the PC is overheating you would probably notice it, I had overheating issues with my last PC, you seriously need to push it far to get a PC to overheat, mine only overheated the GPU because I overclocked the shit out of it, it reached 120'C before it would turn itself off. Your model of PC doesn't tend o get many overheating issues, but if you keep it in a warm or dusty environment it couldn't hurt to clean it once every few months, just take the side off and use either a soft unused paintbrush or makeup brush to carefully clean the dust off the components, I find placing a vacuum cleaner's hose next to it while I dust helps.