Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Dawn's grunge and 80's alternative thread

Le Kvlt Dawn

(edited)

I want to make a thread where I can discuss bands such as Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Nirvana and Alice in Chains. I was going to just call this the "alternative thread" but I know if I did people would just end posting stuff like Coldplay. 

img-1465878-1-13128%20-%20artist-Starshi

Anyways, post away.

EDIT: Just so this thread doesn't die out, I'm allowing Radiohead on here.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

Goo is by far sonic youth's best release, tho

You can't have an 80s "alternative" thread without me posting the greatest post-punk band of all time. They were so abrasive in their early days ;_;

I prefer Sister and Daydream Nation, but Goo is really good. And yea, you're aloud to post post-punk. You can also post stuff like The Smiths and The Cure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1ObUMFWMo

EDIT: Just so this thread doesn't die out, I'm allowing Radiohead on here.

Maybe you should just make it allow more than 80's Alternative, because honestly if you're that anti-Coldplay their debut album is from 2000 (Do you not know how to google?).

Anyways Radiohead's allowed so I'm in here now

Also the first person to post Muse will not be forgiven.

Maybe you should just make it allow more than 80's Alternative, because honestly if you're that anti-Coldplay their debut album is from 2000 (Do you not know how to google?).

Well, Nickleback is from the 90's and so is Creed. But so are Oasis and The Smashing Pumpkins, I'll think about it. I just find Coldplay to be really bland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc4GWQQGUf8

Well, Nickleback is from the 90's and so is Creed. But so are Oasis and The Smashing Pumpkins, I'll think about it. I just find Coldplay to be really bland.

I don't think that anyone in their right mind would post Nickelback, as for Creed, I dislike them as well, but honestly there is much worse out there.

Anyways so I don't end up just endlessly posting Radiohead have some of The Cure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_ux2H473I

Ok, well, I don't listen to much of grunge or alternative, but I like this Nirvana song:

Well, Nickleback is from the 90's 

Please for the love of god, do not let anyone post Nickelback ;_;

(edited)
I don't think that anyone in their right mind would post Nickelback, as for Creed, I dislike them as well, but honestly there is much worse out there.

Well you never know... I've seen people on here say that they like Nickelback. I also don't want people to post any pop punk because there's already thread for that.

Alice in Chains is good shit yo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITxP1evF2A

Please for the love of god, do not let anyone post Nickelback ;_;

Anyone who posts Nickelback will not be tolerated, the posting of a song by the band Nickelback can result in penalties such as the electric chair and fireing squad.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee
  • Brohoof 2

Well you never know... I've seen people on here say that they like Nickelback. I also don't want people to post any pop punk because there's already thread for that.

Pop Punk and Alternative aren't the same, and yes there are some, not even a handful of people who would actually say that Nickelback are good.

Anyways some of Radiohead's more trip-esque material

Pop Punk and Alternative aren't the same, and yes there are some, not even a handful of people who would actually say that Nickelback are good.

Some people consider Blink 182 "alternative". Anyways, since you're spamming your favorite band to death, I thought I'd do the same to my favorite band.

This actually my favorite song by Nirvana, EVER.

And I like this one a lot too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tpz36vFOpY

For the sake of not running out of Radiohead songs to post I'm gonna leave Depeche Mode here, yes they are synthpop-ish though they were one of the notable bands for the Alternative radio back in the 80's and 90's.

I'll so enjoy this thread :)

Now, for some Soundgarden! Pretty obvious that they are my favorite band of all time, I can't really say any song that they've made that I don't like, they are just THAT perfect!

Because Superunknown is one awesome album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ6jEuBC4iE

My favorite song of all time, it's so powerful that it gives me goosebumps :P

Fuck me, the entire Media Discussion section is dead. I mean, I've never seen Crispy's metal thread that low EVER. Anyways, gonna post more Soundgarden.

You know what? Who cares if Oasis aren't from the 80's, for the fact of how they are closely related to 80's alternative music, bands like Oasis should be allowed to be posted here

You know what? Who cares if Oasis aren't from the 80's, for the fact of how they are closely related to 80's alternative music, bands like Oasis should be allowed to be posted here

Oh alright then, you can post stuff like Oasis, The Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer. Just don't post any Nickleback, Creed or blink 182.

I won't be so active here in the near future, my laptop just broke so I'm forced to use my second laptop which isn't always available. I also got a faster internet connection, but it seems to be very troublesome at the start so using Youtube is pain in the ass. Sorry for that :P

Anyways, gonna post some of Soundgarden's older stuff from Badmotorfinger and earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc4GWQQGUf8

I'll probably post something different next time

(edited)

Does Hüsker Dü count?

My dad's really into this band, I think they're alright.

My favorite album by them is Warehouse: Stories and Songs. They're other stuff I don't really like as much.

I'll go ahead and post the first song on that album, and maybe someone could tell me if they qualify as 80's grunge/alternative.

Edited by Betez

Love this Nirvana song and I mean its hard to dislike any of their songs. Grunge of the 90's did something right, something new for the time and it was very unique heavy bass sound, hard rocking I simply love it. Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Piolts, Bush etc. 

• Brohoof 1

Does Hüsker Dü count?

My dad's really into this band, I think they're alright.

My favorite album by them is Warehouse: Stories and Songs. They're other stuff I don't really like as much.

I'll go ahead and post the first song on that album, and maybe someone could tell me if they qualify as 80's grunge/alternative.

Yes, they count. OMFG what a genre n00b.

I'm gonna post some Fugazi, 13 Songs is one of my favorite albums of the 80's. It's so much better than all those crappy hair bands from that era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQBrYMDNyEk

Some really good tracks posted so far.  Nice to see some gems (as spike would say). Lemme add some ingredients to the pot. Some britpop with balls.

what, nobody's posted vintage R.E.M. yet? shame on you all...

this song is the first thing they ever released, legendary, it's even inside the library of congress:

this opened their underrated third album, IMO one of their best compositions:

• Brohoof 1

Sorry, I was never able to get into R.E.M I don't know why but for some reason I just am not a fan of their stuff.

Anyways have some Alice In Chains

R.E.M.'s alright, I just like Sonic Youth a lot more. They have a few good songs like Everybody Hurts and Radio Free Europe.

Speaking of Sonic Youth.

• Brohoof 1