Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What the Hell happened to the brony community?

Commander_PonyShep

113 users have voted

1. 1. Are we bronies becoming tantruming, entitled fanboys?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I believe that we have cyber-balkanized ourselves into what we see as a perfect view of the show.

Every time there is a change the bronies go on watch, you agree, a lot of us don't like change.

We just have to get real, the more success Hasbro has on EQG the better, the more capital they make, the more ponies.

If it doesn't affect MLP, why complain in my opinion.

That's a very naive view of capitalism. First thing, Hasbro doesn't need any more capital, at this point they are large enough it's not going to make any difference for ponies if Hasbro get's more capital, so EQG being successful isn't going to directly help the show. It's not like profits even go into capital, they go into paying the stock holders, which is one of the problems with the economy today, personal investments are no longer correlating with real investments and money isn't flowing back like it's supposed to be. Now, depending on how Hasbro interprets the success of EQG, they will probably go down one of these two lines of thought: a. EQGs is(n't) a viable product. or b. FiM movies are(n't) a viable product. I personally want to see no more EQG than we were already promised. 

I think the brony community is still what it has always been: A very large group of people with different opinions. Some people in the fandom think that EqG is the end of the show as we know it or that Twilicorn is the death of ponies. This is their opinion but I disagree with them completely, that is how it goes. The thing is though, these people are not the majority of the fandom. I have talked to quite a few people on these forums that are perfectly fine with EqG and Twilicorn. They are willing to give things like this a chance and willing  to let the show have some character advancement, without getting incredibly pissy and throwing death threats around. Again, that group of people is clearly not the majority of the community. 

That is the one thing I do not like about this thread, it kinda puts people who are being constantly negative and hates any kind of change in the exact same category as people who either love it, like it, or just acceptable for it. Those three make up the majority as far as I know. The overall fandom just isn't this negative and loony. 

As an example, check out AnY Pony's video 'Where are the characters going?'. In it, he and three other big name bronies discuss the future of the characters and the show itself. They discuss many things that seem like big changes, like Twilicorn seems to be, but they discuss them with a positive attitude. The don't go on about how 'this might ruin the show' or 'oh, it makes things unbalanced', they just discuss what the future may hold for the characters and what changes may come, with no fear or negativity. I think there are a lot more people like THAT in the fandom than the idiots that are tossing around death threats just because of a spin-off and some character development. Come on, I don't think the majority of this fandom is that stupid.

Okay, let me tell you what I don't like about your comment. There is actually two different problems. They first is that you are insulting everyone who dislikes Twilicorn or whatever, and are making a false argument (strawman) that this is because they don't want character development. That's a sweeping generalization, a jump in logic (slippery slope), and an attack (ad hominem). I'm going to say that Twilight gaining wings isn't even character develop because the people in the show are insisting that every relating to Twilight is going to be exactly the same, if so that's not character development, that's just a meaningless change. I enjoy character development, and I really don't have a problem with Twilicorn in itself. What I dislike is how it was executed  including how Twilight doesn't not appear to have really gone through much character development despite gaining wings. You are also calling anyone who disagrees with you stupid, which doesn't help you.

Secondly, you are implying that anyone who is a dissenter isn't a "true fan". That's BS, we don't need to accept everything that is thrown at us, we can think and we are free to make judgements. That's conformist BS that you are advocating. We don't need to like everything that we are served. It's the differences in the community that make it interesting and tolerable. People who are attacking people for disapproving of whatever are just as bad as the people they are attacking. 

(edited)

I agree that a lot of people are raging hard about EQGirls, Twilicorn, etc. But these are fundamental changes within the show. Hasbro had every opportunity to not divert creative time and energy into EQGirls, to tell Twilicorn's story and finale better, to not have a weak season 3 with half the length and less exceptional episodes, and to not have a FULL YEAR between season 3 and season 4. For people who have been here for 1 or 2 years it does seem that Hasbro is making some poor choices, and that without cannon to keep coming out that the fannon is drying up and falling apart accordingly. We may be losing people over this and some people frankly are slamming their door on the way out or are saying goodbyes more respectfully. I agree we should be more loving and tolerant rather than focus on the negatives, wait it out, and just hope this issue improves when season 4 comes back on. It's going to be a very tough 6 months w/o new ponies in our lives and with no idea if things will be better in S4. Bronycons and EQGirls won't cut it for a lot of people. Just understand that this too shall pass.  

I do think people are critical because they care though. It's just a shame that we're talkign about the drama over and over again instead of new developments int he show and fandom. We have 6 months to stop that and try to get out of this funk or we're going to drive ourselves and the community nuts.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 3

That is the one thing I do not like about this thread, it kinda puts people who are being constantly negative and hates any kind of change in the exact same category as people who either love it, like it, or just acceptable for it.

Yes that is indeed true but there are also people who have painted all critics of these changes with a broad brush and have had a bit of a dismissive attitude toward them. I have criticized twilicorn quite fiercely but even I despite my lingering concerns about that and my strong distaste for the season 3 finale have admitted that it can still work because there is alot more we don't know about it than what we actually do know.

But I have mostly remained neutral on Equestria Girls and despite my initial doubts about the premise and not being too much of a fan of how the mane 6 was designed will probably see the movie and even if it bombs will not lose any sleep over it. And I also don't like this and many other threads like it because of the doom and gloom attitude it takes of "oh my there are controversies and people are doing stupid things everypony panic the fandom is dying" attitude. 

That's a very naive view of capitalism. First thing, Hasbro doesn't need any more capital, at this point they are large enough it's not going to make any difference for ponies if Hasbro get's more capital, so EQG being successful isn't going to directly help the show. It's not like profits even go into capital, they go into paying the stock holders, which is one of the problems with the economy today, personal investments are no longer correlating with real investments and money isn't flowing back like it's supposed to be. Now, depending on how Hasbro interprets the success of EQG, they will probably go down one of these two lines of thought: a. EQGs is(n't) a viable product. or b. FiM movies are(n't) a viable product. I personally want to see no more EQG than we were already promised. 

Okay, let me tell you what I don't like about your comment. There is actually two different problems. They first is that you are insulting everyone who dislikes Twilicorn or whatever, and are making a false argument (strawman) that this is because they don't want character development. That's a sweeping generalization, a jump in logic (slippery slope), and an attack (ad hominem). I'm going to say that Twilight gaining wings isn't even character develop because the people in the show are insisting that every relating to Twilight is going to be exactly the same, if so that's not character development, that's just a meaningless change. I enjoy character development, and I really don't have a problem with Twilicorn in itself. What I dislike is how it was executed  including how Twilight doesn't not appear to have really gone through much character development despite gaining wings. You are also calling anyone who disagrees with you stupid, which doesn't help you.

Secondly, you are implying that anyone who is a dissenter isn't a "true fan". That's BS, we don't need to accept everything that is thrown at us, we can think and we are free to make judgements. That's conformist BS that you are advocating. We don't need to like everything that we are served. It's the differences in the community that make it interesting and tolerable. People who are attacking people for disapproving of whatever are just as bad as the people they are attacking.

Incorrect. I am calling the people who are throwing around death threats and all of this pointless negativity due to these things stupid. How did you misread that? You can have your opinion all you want, I couldn't give two f*cks. When the hell did I say anything about being a 'true fan'? You are reading my post in such an unbelievably negative light and I can see why, but you are taking what I said entirely in a different direction and my entire point was why Pony Shep should not put us all in one group. You said I called everyone who doesn't agree with me stupid when I CLEARLY said that the ones throwing around death threats are stupid.

Your tangent about the character development sounds like a huge circular logic thing. Really, your point makes no sense. So there cannot be character advancement without dramatic changes? That is what I am getting out of that. Twilight gaining wings really isn't a huge change in my opinion, but it IS character development, because it is a result of everything she has learned thus far.

I am not insulting anyone who doesn't like Twilicorn, but if you are not even willing to give it a goddamn chance at least and already leaving the fandom before season 4 even begins, then I personally DO find that stupid.

My point was, there are some incredibly negative people in the fandom, but they are not the majority.

Yes part of the Brony community have completely lost it and are a bunch of whining psychos with nothing better to do than complain over a kids cartoon show. Yeah I said it and it makes me laugh unto no end. After hearing all of the complaints over Twiley turning into an alicorn and now the EG threats etc.... I have come to a conclusion. Its sad but also really funny at the same time to me.

I'll just stick with the first three seasons of the show for what they are and the rest of the *sane*/cool bronies who are not psycho...

Man NO WONDER people hate our fandom so much especially now. *Clap, clap and more claps* 

(edited)

Becoming? Now? I've heard tales that Feeling Pinkie Keen and Over a Barrel caused firestorms that would melt your asbestos underpants, and those were both early season 1 episodes.

Even with what's going on now, we're still a tame fandom. I can tell you horror stories about some fandoms that would make your skin crawl. Hell, there used to be a whole blog dedicated to telling stories about the crazy ways Twilight fans took out their anger on people. 

Yes part of the Brony community have completely lost it and are a bunch of whining psychos with nothing better to do than complain over a kids cartoon show. Yeah I said it and it makes me laugh unto no end. After hearing all of the complaints over Twiley turning into an alicorn and now the EG threats etc.... I have come to a conclusion. Its sad but also really funny at the same time to me.

I'll just stick with the first three seasons of the show for what they are and the rest of the *sane*/cool bronies who are not psycho...

Man NO WONDER people hate our fandom so much especially now. *Clap, clap and more claps* 

What about season 4? Don't forget about that. That's another 26 episodes on horizon. There's also the comics, those are doing pretty well and turning out some pretty good stories so far. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

What about season 4? Don't forget about that. That's another 26 episodes on horizon. There's also the comics, those are doing pretty well and turning out some pretty good stories so far. 

True with that being said otherwise this fandom has hit the ground hard... So much so that at this point I could careless about it anymore...  I am sure the creators are about sick of us too I could not blame them either xD. 

True with that being said otherwise this fandom has hit the ground hard... So much so that at this point I could careless about it anymore...  I am sure the creators are about sick of us too I could not blame them either xD. 

The creators seem pretty understanding so far. I'm sure this isn't the first time around the block for any of them dealing with fandumb. This is really a problem that happens with all fanbases.  

(edited)

"Becoming?"

tumblr_mky7hyeWic1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

More like has been since halfway through season one.

Every decision the writers have made has been picked over and ridiculed by portions of the community.  What should we talk about?  The people freaking out over the moral of Feeling Pinkie Keen?  Derpygate and her subsequent removal until season three?  Everyone hating the idea of Cadence (until she sang This Day Aria and suddenly OMG LUV)?  Discord changing sides?  Twilicorn?

Seriously, sometimes we're worse than the Supernatural fandom, and that's some serious shit.

Edit:  AND LET'S NOT EVEN START WITH EQUESTRIA GIRLS HOLY ANALPAIN.

Edited by Crispy
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I can understand why some of creator staff are very unsettled by the death threats and such.  They went out to create a little kid friendly show and I am certain that they did not expect this massive fan base to appear because of their creation.  It seems like some of them do not quite know how to deal with us (especially with dealing with the fanatics). 

It ALSO seems like some of the fans need to grow up, constructive criticism is fine, but death threats?  Not only is that immature, but it is highly disrespectful to not only the creators, but also to the better fanbase that they are a part of.  It's a tv show, not a life or death thing!

Also, we have to remember which 'big brother' hovers over DHX's heads...they are ones making the hugest decisions that are affecting everything...

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

"Becoming?"

tumblr_mky7hyeWic1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

More like has been since halfway through season one.

Every decision the writers have made has been picked over and ridiculed by portions of the community.  What should we talk about?  The people freaking out over the moral of Feeling Pinkie Keen?  Derpygate and her subsequent removal until season three?  Everyone hating the idea of Cadence (until she sang This Day Aria and suddenly OMG LUV)?  Discord changing sides?  Twilicorn?

Seriously, sometimes we're worse than the Supernatural fandom, and that's some serious shit.

Which defends the point that we shouldn't give a shit and just the morons go have their fun complaining amongst themselves while we have fun over here. 

• Brohoof 2

I think every community has a small group of extremists in it and that group always tries to cause panic and get attention, but then they calm down once the crisis they created has passed. Now, I'm not saying there aren't concerns for EqG, but this has definitely gotten blown out of proportion. I can understand raging inside the fandom, but when you take it to twitter and start harassing people who work on the show, you've crossed the line. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Brohoof 2

Also, we have to remember which 'big brother' hovers over DHX's heads...they are ones making the hugest decisions that are affecting everything...

Interesting little thing around this point: There are actually two 'big brothers' hovering over DHX's heads. Hasbro, and Discovery Communications. Hasbro owns the IP for MLP, but Discovery runs the Hub, and I believe DHX is commissioned through the Hub rather than directly by Hasbro. Which means that some of the management decisions around MLP:FiM, especially last-minute changes and broadcast rating requirements, might actually be Discovery flexing it's muscles.

Not necessarily important, but something to keep in mind. There are a lot of fingers in this specific pie. dry.png

• Brohoof 1

Incorrect. I am calling the people who are throwing around death threats and all of this pointless negativity due to these things stupid. How did you misread that? You can have your opinion all you want, I couldn't give two f*cks. When the hell did I say anything about being a 'true fan'? You are reading my post in such an unbelievably negative light and I can see why, but you are taking what I said entirely in a different direction and my entire point was why Pony Shep should not put us all in one group. You said I called everyone who doesn't agree with me stupid when I CLEARLY said that the ones throwing around death threats are stupid.

No you didn't, the way you brought up death threats was not integrated in any place to make your claim here clear.  

"I think the brony community is still what it has always been: A very large group of people with different opinions. Some people in the fandom think that EqG is the end of the show as we know it or that Twilicorn is the death of ponies. This is their opinion but I disagree with them completely, that is how it goes. The thing is though, these people are not the majority of the fandom. I have talked to quite a few people on these forums that are perfectly fine with EqG and Twilicorn. They are willing to give things like this a chance and willing  to let the show have some character advancement, without getting incredibly pissy and throwing death threats around. Again, that group of people is clearly not the majority of the community. "

You only brought up death threats once, and it was on a minor clause near the end. The way you wrote it it implies that everyone who shows any negativity and disagrees with the "character advancement" of Twilicorn is making death threats. If you wanted to make it clear you were only talking about the type of people who made death threat than you would have written something more along the lines of Treble Bolt's post. Instead you only said that you were okay people who agreed Twilicorn is character advancement. If you meant something different you should have made that clear.

Your tangent about the character development sounds like a huge circular logic thing. Really, your point makes no sense. So there cannot be character advancement without dramatic changes? That is what I am getting out of that. Twilight gaining wings really isn't a huge change in my opinion, but it IS character development, because it is a result of everything she has learned thus far. I am not insulting anyone who doesn't like Twilicorn, but if you are not even willing to give it a goddamn chance at least and already leaving the fandom before season 4 even begins, then I personally DO find that stupid.

Actually, my point is the complete opposite of what you seem to be accusing mine of being. Getting wings is a dramatic change. Real character development is more subtle, a slow change within the character. My problem is that the change in the episode didn't come across as actually relating to any character development Twilight had. I had hopes up for the episode before it was out, and low and behold, I was let down. I obviously haven't left the fandom yet because I'm still here, aren't I?

Well, there is a reason why the terms "fan" and "fanatic" are often connected by some linguists and such. There are always some people who are not just angry but nearly maniac about things... and may it just be about a show they use to like. Or hate. Depends on the perspective. And the aspects they (dis)like. 

Pfft, I've read most of this thread and all I can say is nothing really changed. I remember people complaining and whining about season 2 and some of the toys; now we have people complaining about season 3 and Equestria Girls.

Once again I don't see how anything's really different.

• Brohoof 2

Our world has a HUGE entitlement problem right now.

It doesn't just apply to bronies. So many people believe that they have a "right" to this and a "right" to that and that we "deserve" this.

We deserve nothing. Most of us don't even pay Hasbro to entertain us. And here we are nitpicking this and complaining about that like Hasbro OWES us happiness.

We can make the world a better place if we don't cave into what much of the rest of first world society does whenever something they don't like happens.

Instead of incessantly complaining whenever something that you don't like happens to or in the show, we need to put our emotions in check. There is never a good reason to be angry about ponies. There are much worse and more important things in this world to be angry about.

• Brohoof 2

Interesting little thing around this point: There are actually two 'big brothers' hovering over DHX's heads. Hasbro, and Discovery Communications. Hasbro owns the IP for MLP, but Discovery runs the Hub, and I believe DHX is commissioned through the Hub rather than directly by Hasbro. Which means that some of the management decisions around MLP:FiM, especially last-minute changes and broadcast rating requirements, might actually be Discovery flexing it's muscles.

Not necessarily important, but something to keep in mind. There are a lot of fingers in this specific pie. dry.png

Well, I am not sure how they collaborate with regards to the show, but Equestria Girls must just be with Hasbro, because it going to theaters and not the Hub (it may after it's released, but any movie is like that).  People seem to be more unhappy about the movie than the Alicorn Twilight.....

I would say there are a lot of fingers and hooves in this pie, assuming Pinkie's eating a piece or 2 ;)

• Brohoof 1

Our world has a HUGE entitlement problem right now.

It doesn't just apply to bronies. So many people believe that they have a "right" to this and a "right" to that and that we "deserve" this.

We deserve nothing. Most of us don't even pay Hasbro to entertain us. And here we are nitpicking this and complaining about that like Hasbro OWES us happiness.

We can make the world a better place if we don't cave into what much of the rest of first world society does whenever something they don't like happens.

Instead of incessantly complaining whenever something that you don't like happens to or in the show, we need to put our emotions in check. There is never a good reason to be angry about ponies. There are much worse and more important things in this world to be angry about.

These are first world problems (I'll agree) but i devote WAY too much of my free time and energy in this fandom to not care about it's direction and overall outlook. The secret is not that we shouldn't care, it's that we still need to keep this fandom positive. I agree lets stop complaining incessently because i think the Hasbro staff by now is fully aware of our complaints and we need to not sh*t where we eat (as the old phrase goes). People should get out and enjoy the weather if sitting at a pc and screaming about ponies is getting too stressful and time consuming.

• Brohoof 2

Exactly, most of the decisions people disagree with are not being made by the show staff but by Hasbro who the show staff has to listen to if they want to keep their jobs. In the case of alicorn twilight and possibly Equestria Girls the writers have to make the best of some bad situations. In all honesty if I was on the show staff I would be tempted to quit not because of the the crazies but because Hasbro has been making a few stupid decisions lately.

There is never a good reason to be angry about ponies.

For the most part yes, I will admit that I am not entirely please with twilicorn but the only thing in the fandom that has really got my blood boiling is the Derpy situation but only because the implications of it go far above and beyond Derpy as a character and the show as a whole. As an adult with Autism I know exactly what it is like to be singled out for being different yet the Derpy complainers automatically assumed that everyone like me would find Derpy offensive and called for her head without even bothering to listen to what we had to say about it. I think it is incredibly condescending and rude to claim to speak for people while completely disregarding their own opinions.

Despite the fact that I would like nothing more than to tell the complainers to go straight to hell, I am trying to keep my temper in check because I do realize that stooping to that level is only going to cause a backlash that will make it less likely for other characters like Derpy to appear in future shows. This issue is personal to me because I know that we have come a long way but still have a long way to go and even if something as simple as a wall eyed muffin loving mailmare can teach a few children that it is okay to be different and remind a few adults watching not to so judgmental than I think it is worth it.

I know I have been pimping this video out that I have made on Derpy, but it is that important to me.

• Brohoof 2

Well, not all bronies are all caps raging about Equestria Girls, but those are the ones who you see the most. I think that they are just too used to the show that anything new should trigger negative reactions, like anger or fear.

• Brohoof 1

These are first world problems (I'll agree) but i devote WAY too much of my free time and energy in this fandom to not care about it's direction and overall outlook. The secret is not that we shouldn't care, it's that we still need to keep this fandom positive. I agree lets stop complaining incessently because i think the Hasbro staff by now is fully aware of our complaints and we need to not sh*t where we eat (as the old phrase goes). People should get out and enjoy the weather if sitting at a pc and screaming about ponies is getting too stressful and time consuming.

I actually completely agree with this post. Thank you for sharing.

I think that for you and EBP. I want to rephrase something that I said. I said that there is never a good reason to be angry with ponies. What I mean is that you do not always have to be happy with it. In fact, it is OK to be peeved at certain things in the show, especially with situations like Derpy where the implications of the situation went far deeper than what happened on the surface.

But we need to keep that anger in check. We need to know how to not only deal with it, but to communicate that anger civilly, without shouting, and without hurting people. I can guarantee that hurting other people all because you are upset does nothing helpful and can only make things worse. EqG drama is proof of that.

• Brohoof 3

I didn't really notice any changes to the community. The only thing that I noticed was, people keep complaining about the new changes but the thing is no one is forcing them to stay in the community just to complain. There will always be a thing where people complain but, sometimes the complaints about the changes are usually not called for. Other then that, there is nothing wrong.

• Brohoof 2

Any group of people who have found a measure of happiness together will attract others-whose initial motivations might be good, but who will inevitably bring the whole thing down, because of their own unhappiness with life or whatever they perceive as the reason for their unhappiness.

This little show is the reason we all came here, the reason most of us stay is that there's friendship and safety here-you haven't got to watch your back, everyone's already got your back for you.

This will attract people whose sole motivation is to destroy that happiness-for the same reason as bullies do it in school, they get off on it. 

From what I've experienced here and elsewhere, most genuine members of this fandom are happy to be a part of it, and are very careful to protect it. Sure they bitch and moan from time to time, but who doesn't? That's part of the safety of the place-you are accepted regardless of whether you like Twilicorn or not, or whatever.

I just don't see the negativity that folks are talking about-although I've been around discussion forums for a long time and may be comparing this one favorably in light of them. Or, maybe you have to be looking for it to see it. I'm not.

• Brohoof 4

I think this is partially related to the growing size of the brony community. More people = more voices = more vocal people, and a very vocal minority can have the power of the pulpit no matter what size a fandom is, and I think that is what is occurring here. A vocal minority is stirring the pot and making drama that the majority has to deal with.

Plus I also think anti-bronies might be using these moments of uncertainty to take potshots at our community.

• Brohoof 3