Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What the Hell happened to the brony community?

Commander_PonyShep

113 users have voted

1. 1. Are we bronies becoming tantruming, entitled fanboys?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I would rather accept a good outcome than to expect a bad one. Even if I worked myself up over it, what is complaining going to accomplish? In most situations you would be right, it is better to consider all possible outcomes. However, in this circumstance, it does no good to be upset. I am going to go see it, bad or good, because I support the show, it's creators, and I might get to meet some awesome new bronies in the process. tongue.png

Seeing it isn't supporting the show, it's supporting EQG. You need to make that distinction. If EQG ends up sucking it means you ended up supporting something that sucked. It's unfortunate that industry takes your support before you actually know what you are getting. Also, well duh we should accept good outcomes over bad ones, but I think you meant expect. I say be honest with yourself. If you are expecting bad, there is probably a reason for that, and if you are expecting good and it turns out to be bad you will be more disappointed than if you were expecting bad. If you honestly think you are going to like it, fine, but don't lie to yourself. 

(edited)

I never lie to myself, I neither expect it to be great, nor be terrible. Just live in the moment. I see no point in being worked up over it. Either way, the backlash from the community is a good deal more ridiculous than the show could ever be. I have it marked on my calender, and I am going to meet up with some great bronies.

Suit yourself, but I see this as a sign that EQG is doing exactly what it was made to do: convince people to spend money on a mediocre product, not because the movie has any inherit quality, but just because it claims to be related to ponies. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1

Most of the recent outrage seems to revolve around Twilicorn and Equestria Girls.  Aversion to new stuff of this sort is common in any fandom.  Viewers usually form their own vision of what constitutes "normal" for their favorite TV programs.  When stories or changes arise that throw long held and revered notions out the window, objections ensue. 

I've stated my thoughts on Twilicorn previously.  I don't like it, but I will live with it if necessary.  And except for when Twilight initially crosses over from the pony to human world, it sounds like EG will be its own separate continuity.  Comparing MLP:FiM to EG is probably like comparing Powerpuff Girls to Powerpuff Girls Z. 

I can only imagine what the fandom reaction to the 1986 Transformers movie was like if widespread internet access were available then.  I bet everybody would be bitching about the deaths of Optimus, Starscream, several other characters, and the elevation of relative newcomer Hod Rod to a Prime. 

I love how the votes for this are like, smack bang dead in the middle. Seriously, its worse that we as community can't even decide on how we judge ourselves! We need to stick to one voice and not try to do too many things at once. As it is right now we're kinda losing focus a bit.

• 8 years later...
On 2013-05-17 at 5:24 AM, Umbral Noir said:

I agree that some bronies do get a bit over worked up about things. I think we should try to be a bit more tolerant of change, at least until we see things for ourselves. The thing that worried me is that bronies are starting to jump to conclusions. When Alicorn Twilight was announced, there was an uproar, with swearing, death threats and anger. A while after the Magical Mystery Cure episode, bronies seem to not really mind as much any more. Now that the Equestria Girls trailer has just been released, a brony civil war has started! I think we should at least wait until we've actually seen Equestria Girls before we argue over whether we like it or not.

Pleas, don't think I'm trying to start an EG argument though! I think I'll just finish by saying that we should go back to tolerating, we don't want to end up like haters who are completely against the bronies!

Exactly. I liked some of the changes and there were some changes I didn't like, but I still tolerated them and didn't lose my hat. The same thing is happening with the G5 movie, some people are sceptical, and some are optimistic about it. Yet, before we jump to any conclusions, we need to watch it for ourselves. Then we can complain when things go wrong.

• 1 month later...