Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favourite country?

Sweet Dreams

(edited)

Setting aside obligatory favoritism for my homeland, I've always wanted to spend an extended period of time in Germany to soak up the culture, make friends (the people are generally awesome from what I hear) and become fluent in the language. And of course, to attend the Wacken Open Air metal fest.

I'd really like to visit the Netherlands as well, for many of the reasons stated above. Kind of funny that I love both lands and their respective cultures, yet they seem to hate one another quite vigorously. wacko.png

Edited by Lowline
  • Brohoof 1

America FUCK YEA!!!

Well if I were to have the opportunity to visit any foreign a country, it would be Sweden. Because I like Swedish music a lot and Stockholm looks like a really nice place.

Stockholm? Why not Gothenburg, the most epic city in Sweden? Gothenburg have everything you could imagine! But Stockholm? Some museums. Nothing specials

• 1 month later...

uhm i would love to live in Tasmania ( state of my home country Australia ) or New Zealand the county is so beautiful it's nice and cold and snowy 

other cou ntries i would like to go to is probably England Ireland Scotland Wales  Italy Spain  mainly for the food and scenery and Germany for the OCTOBER FEST  

(edited)

I would love to go visit the Netherlands and Germany some point in my life time. I learned quite a fair bit of German in high school and for some reason, I picked up the language a lot faster than I did French. I also really like what I read in my textbook about German culture and I think it would be a fairly awesome country to see.

The reason I would like to visit the Netherlands is primarily because I'm Canadian and our countries hold a pretty tight bond. Also based on some picturs I've seen of the place and bits of information I read from a wikipedia article and the world fact book, I think it would be very much worth a visit.

Edited by Celtore

(edited)

Poland is one of my favorite countries if not my favorite! First of all I I am 50% Polish. Second of all I have cousins in Poland. Last but not least Uczę się polskiego and if you don't know what that means it means I am learning Polish.

Edited by Lightning Dancer

I like Nippon because I like how things are done there. I like their language too. I’ve met a lot of nice ponies there and I hope to return there for another nice stay next year.

That’s all the nations I like by experience since I’ve never gone to another yet and I don’t like the US (Don’t ask unless you want to PM me).

Yeah, I know. I got all the Hiragana and Katakana characters memorized, and I'm slowly, but surely, learning Kanji. I personally don't see the point of Romanji. I think the reason I like Japan so much is because of Japanese. To me it just seems like such a cool language.

I also want to go to Spain one day. Or pretty much all the mane European countries.

There is no point to Romaji. Just use 平仮名 for the mane text with as much Kanji as you can right now. You need to know roughly 2000 to read newspapers.

My favorite country is America. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty terrible place but it's better than a lot of other countries out there. And to quote Winston Churchill, "Democracy is the worst form of government that works". In other words, I'll take the best of the worst.

The United States of America is the greatest country in the world, hmmmkay. Seriously, I like living here. (BTW, ignore my userpic and username that's all none sense.)

America-hetalia-19458292-750-600.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Hm.... Estonia! Look at that name! It's like a fairy tale land's name or something.

No, I'm just kidding I know nothing about Estonia. In reality my favorite countries could probably easily be narrowed down to North America (US and Canada) and European countries. I would never live anywhere else, and would probably be cautious about going almost anywhere else for vacation as well.

(edited)

My favorites would be:

1. Canada

2. United States

3. France

4. England

5. Austrailia

Most of those because there's 

1. at least a large portion of those countries where Gay/Lesbian Marriage is legal. (Austrailia has the smallest percentage of territory with legal gay marriage. And technically, I should say New Zealand instead)

2. They all have somewhat good economies.

3. They are all quite caught up in the field of technology.

Edited by Rainbow P.F. Sparkle

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Love my home state of Texas. The only good state in this country.

I couldn't live anywhere else because mainly my family is in the United States, so I couldn't live any where else..

But another fave country I will say is Australia :)

(edited)
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

IKR. USA is #1

Love my home state of Texas. The only good state in this country.

Texas seems like a nice place, except your governor is a bit, ya know...  

I couldn't live anywhere else because mainly my family is in the United States, so I couldn't live any where else..

I couldn't live anywhere else because of the culture shock, my dad drove me to Tijuana the other day. It was a bit, different.

Edited by France

I couldn't live anywhere else because of the culture shock

Yes, seeing a country with culture must be have been quite shocking. No offense of course but that simply had to be said. A lot of American ponies don't grasp much in the way of the cultures of the world.

Yes, seeing a country with culture must be have been quite shocking. No offense of course but that simply had to be said. A lot of American ponies don't grasp much in the way of the cultures of the world.

WELL DO YOU HAVE ANY FRICKIN' IDEA HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO TRAVEL TO EUROPE FROM AMERICA??? I'M NOT MADE OUT OF MONEY!

Sorry I lashed out you there, some people just don't realize that we Americans don't have the same opportunity to go to other countries. Compare going from the UK to Germany as opposed to going from the USA to Germany. Plus, I like living here, a lot. It's my home, leaving home ain't an easy thing to do. 

• Brohoof 1

WELL DO YOU HAVE ANY FRICKIN' IDEA HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO TRAVEL TO EUROPE FROM AMAREICA??? I'M NOT MADE OUT OF BITS!

Sorry I lashed out you there, some ponies just don't realize that we Americans don't have the same opportunity to go to other countries. Compare going from the UK to Germany as opposed to going from the USA to Germany. Plus, I like living here, a lot. It's my home, leaving home ain't an easy thing to do. 

Well, I do apologize again if my post troubled you. However, that was not my intent. I said it to mention that it makes sense that the culture of Mexico was a shock since Americans don’t have their own culture so the concept in itself would be foreign. It is expensive to go to other continents but not impossible. I would guess that it would cost 1000 dollars or more depending on destination. Experiencing other nations doesn't mean you have to leave the nation that you like.

(edited)

Well, I do apologize again if my post troubled you. However, that was not my intent. I said it to mention that it makes sense that the culture of Mexico was a shock since Americans don’t have their own culture so the concept in itself would be foreign. It is expensive to go to other continents but not impossible. I would guess that it would cost 1000 dollars or more depending on destination. Experiencing other nations doesn't mean you have to leave the nation that you like.

It was the metric system that scared me the most, I'm only used to the metric system in science class. I don't know how much 10km is. I also wasn't used to seeing unpaved streets, or the way parking lots work over there, I just felt alienated. I also wasn't used to seeing guards holding rifles. I'm used to the idea of a police officer having a pistol but I thought the idea of a guard with a rifle was a bit odd.

Edited by France

It was the metric system that scared me the most, I'm only used to the metric system in science class. I don't know how much 10km is. I also wasn't used to seeing unpaved streets, or the way parking lots work over there, I just felt alienated. I also wasn't used to seeing guards holding rifles. I'm used to the idea of a police officer having a pistol but I thought the idea of a guard with a rifle was a bit odd.

Yes, I am aware that Americans haven’t made the effort to fully adopt the metric system into everyday life. It’s another sign that Americans don’t fully embrace the ways other nations operate. I think a nation without their own ways would be slightly more respectful but I guess that's not the case with your favorite nation.

Yes, I am aware that Americans haven’t made the effort to fully adopt the metric system into everyday life. It’s another sign that Americans don’t fully embrace the ways other nations operate. I think a nation without their own ways would be slightly more respectful but I guess that's not the case with your favorite nation.

We like being different. America is huge melting pot made of different cultures from different parts of the world. This picture describes it very well.

melting_pot.gif

Do you have any other questions about America?

• Brohoof 1

I currently live in the USA, but I've also gone to Puerto Rico (Trip was Amazing, 10/10, must revisit soon). 
I have family living in Thailand and Australia (Two more countries I'd like to visit). I've always wanted to go to Sweden, Germany, Canada, and Wales. 

We like being different. Amareica is huge melting pot made of different cultures from different parts of the world. This picture describes it very well.

img-1616194-1-melting_pot.gif

Do you have any other questions about Amareica?

I am aware of the melting pot concept. Yes, Amareica is different in the sense that it, unlike other nations, doesn't have its own sense of self. Ponies bring their own culture to Amareica via immigration and it becomes available for the citizens to absorb if they wish. It's sad to say that some don't care to take advantage of this and I would say that they stagnate without understanding the cultures of others. When they were born in Amareica, they were given a clean slate without any obligations (notwithstanding familial ties) and some choose not to change that. I am the opposite. I like how certain nations do things and I try to emulate that in my life as I can.

(edited)

I was born in the US, and I have been to Mexico and Japan. My favourite would have to be Japan. I felt very relaxed and at home there, even though I was halfway across the world from where I was from. 

Flag_of_Japan_.jpg

Edited by Nagisa Misumi
  • Brohoof 1

I am aware of the melting pot concept. Yes, Amareica is different in the sense that it, unlike other nations, doesn't have its own sense of self. Ponies bring their own culture to Amareica via immigration and it becomes available for the citizens to absorb if they wish. It's sad to say that some don't care to take advantage of this and I would say that they stagnate without understanding the cultures of others. When they were born in Amareica, they were given a clean slate without any obligations (notwithstanding familial ties) and some choose not to change that. I am the opposite. I like how certain nations do things and I try to emulate that in my life as I can.

You bring a piece from your country here and drop it into the pot so it melts in and then it becomes part of the American culture (yes we have one).  And yes, people do immigrate and have immigrated because they were seeking a better life, or because there was something about their home country that they weren't very fond of. (War, oppressive government, etc.).

• Brohoof 1

You bring a piece from your country here and drop it into the pot so it melts in and then it becomes part of the American culture (yes we have one).  And yes, ponies do immigrate and have immigrated because they were seeking a better life, or because there was something about their home country that they weren't very fond of. (War, oppressive government, etc.).

Ponies bring parts of their own culture here so they can live here and keep part of their background intact. Also, it is so others may emulate the backgrounds. Especially those like me that was born without a background by default. We have to emulate others or we are the ones that stagnate. And the concept of living in a nation that has the backgrounds of the world is not itself a culture.

Ponies bring parts of their own culture here so they can live here and keep part of their background intact. Also, it is so others may emulate the backgrounds. Especially those like me that was born without a background by default. We have to emulate others or we are the ones that stagnate. And the concept of living in a nation that has the backgrounds of the world is not itself a culture.

Well if you don't think that's a culture, than what do you think is America's culture? You can't just say that we don't have a culture.