Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chrome sending anonymous data to it's servers from Chrome

Legit101

From what I understand Google Analytics only work with certain websites, and Google even apparently has it's own extension that lets you disable Analytics while browsing. Found here: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en

I'm not going to completely freak out on this yet, even though I'd prefer no information going out to anypony myself, but until I hear Google kicking open people's doors and what not I'd still use Chrome.

With the new Chrome update though (no new tab and pre-render slowdownage) I might try Firefox again anyway. Always fun to switch it up a bit, I spose.

From what I understand Google Analytics only work with certain websites.

Most websites have it.

Google even apparently has it's own extension that lets you disable Analytics while browsing. Found here: http://tools.google..../gaoptout?hl=en

Downloading a closed source application, by Google? That's a no-no.

I'm not going to completely freak out on this yet, even though I'd prefer no information going out to anypony myself, but until I hear Google kicking open people's doors and what not I'd still use Chrome.

I don't know why you hate freedom.

From what I understand, it's only used to detect malwares, ie things that put viruses on your computer. Free music and other illegal content won't be sent to Google's servers if they don't contain any virus. And it doesn't even prevent you from downloading a file that is deemed malicious, it just warns you that what you're about to download could potentially harm your computer.

I honestly don't see what is so bad about this. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

Free music and other illegal content won't be sent to Google's servers if they don't contain any virus.

Yes, they will.

It clearly stated that if the file isn't on the whitelist it will be sent to Google servers.

If the file isn't in the whitelist, its URL will be transmitted to Google's servers, which will perform an automatic analysis and attempt to guess if the file is malicious based on various factors like the trustworthiness of its source. If the file is deemed a potential risk, the user will receive a warning.

The bad thing is that all files you download that aren't from a trust worthy source will be sent, probably even trustworthy ones due to having to connect to their servers to cross reference the file's download location and publisher with Google's whitelist.

It's not like Google will do any malicious stuff about your download list, they just tracked it, comparing with their database for any dangerous files, and stored it inside their server.

It's just those pesky anti-piracy agency that could take a look at those download list. :(

[image cropped from a rather weird youtube video]

Posted Image

Not so sure about this. On some level I don't mind too much, I like chrome and don't really download stuff I wouldn't want them to get their hands on... mostly.

But I think I may go back to firefox out of principle on this one. It seems wrong that they would do that, especially without obviously notifying their users.

Well it's not like they prevent you from dowloading anyway.

All it might do is that you may get a message like "The file you are trying to download comes from a non-trusthworthy website. Are you sure you want to continue?"

I'm pretty sure you won't get arrested for downloading illegal stuff. They DID say that this would only be used to keep track of malevolent websites.

I still don't see how this is bad.

I read the image's caption with the voice of Ace Ventura, as nature intended.

Anyways, never used Chrome. Never liked it. Chrome sucks, sucks harder now, and forever will suck in my eyes.

Opera for life, as it's actually a good browser compared to things such as Chrome, IE and Firefox. Of course, this is my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Ok guys, look. It is meant to track the download of malware, a worthy goal. But the fact that it tracks anything not on the whitelist means that it will be tracking a hell of a lot of not-malware. True, Google won't start suing people for pirating stuff, but how long do you think it'll take for some government agency to knock on googles door and say "hey, we heard you're tracking everybodies downloads. We just happen to have this warrant here..." and then the government has all that info.

Most websites have it.

Downloading a closed source application, by Google? That's a no-no.

I don't know why you hate freedom.

And I don't know why you make such a big deal over this. lol

Freedom, from a browser? We already live in a world where freedom is laughable, if we're not held back by laws then we're easily just as held back by the opinions and actions of others with different views. What browser I use doesn't effect my views upon freedom in anyway shape or form.

Alas, I too used to think it was messed up for "big evil corporations" to watch and regulate what I do too, but nowdays I just find myself simply not caring anymore. If some company really wanted to find out just what I've downloaded over the years I'm sure they probably could, but with millions of users constantly surfing the net I'm sure they care as little as I do about things such as that.

From what all I've heard, this new feature simply checks the website in question to a list already compromised by Google and if the sites on the blacklist simply warns you from downloading something malicious. I'd think the whole IP tracking thing has to do with helping them in this task, not with desire to obtain your personal information and invade your internets.

Edited by Demi

you know what, I think I'll exercise my freedom and keep using chrome, im used to it and I find it pretty cool. It has never failed me. Jail me for downloading music and such? Dont make me laugh.

Anyways, since when does everybody hate Chrome? I think it just takes for me to use something for everyone to hate it.

Time to transfer my favorites back to firefox then.

Glad I have Xmarks. Synchronized bookmarks across browsers so switching is a breeze. Speaking of which, I'll probably be switching back to Firefox too.

you know what, I think I'll exercise my freedom and keep using chrome, im used to it and I find it pretty cool. It has never failed me. Jail me for downloading music and such? Dont make me laugh.

Anyways, since when does everybody hate Chrome? I think it just takes for me to use something for everyone to hate it.

Word. Internet fads are always like that, it's funny how once Chrome came out everyone started hating on Firefox and now it's switched up. I too will continue on with Chrome, I simply prefer the feel and look to it over Firefox and can't be bothered to switch my bookmarks over due to people trying to find some conspiracy with big bad Google company.

What about the whole cellphone craze where they apparently tracked your every location and people didn't like that? Or am I the only one that remembers this? I don't recall people throwing away their fancy smartphones over it. Maybe I'm just going crazy in my old age. ;_;

• Brohoof 1