Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chrome sending anonymous data to it's servers from Chrome

Legit101

And I don't know why you make such a big deal over this. lol Freedom, from a browser? We already live in a world where freedom is laughable, if we're not held back by laws then we're easily just as held back by the opinions and actions of others with different views. What browser I use doesn't effect my views upon freedom in anyway shape or form. Alas, I too used to think it was messed up for "big evil corporations" to watch and regulate what I do too, but nowdays I just find myself simply not caring anymore. If some company really wanted to find out just what I've downloaded over the years I'm sure they probably could, but with millions of users constantly surfing the net I'm sure they care as little as I do about things such as that.

I don't think you understand what free software is.

Proprietary software like Chrome keeps users divided and helpless. Divided because each user is forbidden to share with other people, and helpless because the users don't have the source code, so they can't change anything, they can't even tell what the program is really doing. There are 4 essential freedoms that the user of software should have at all times.

Freedom zero is the freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose.

Freedom one is the freedom to study the source code of the program and change it to do what you wish.

Freedom two is the freedom to help your neighbour. That's the freedom to make copies and distribute them to others, when you wish.

Freedom three is the freedom to help your community. That's the freedom to distribute or publish modified versions, when you wish.

From what all I've heard, this new feature simply checks the website in question to a list already compromised by Google and if the sites on the blacklist simply warns you from downloading something malicious. I'd think the whole IP tracking thing has to do with helping them in this task, not with desire to obtain your personal information and invade your internets.

From what they said.

They get the URL and see if the URL is on their whitelist.

That enough tells them what you're downloading.

Word. Internet fads are always like that, it's funny how once Chrome came out everyone started hating on Firefox and now it's switched up. I too will continue on with Chrome, I simply prefer the feel and look to it over Firefox and can't be bothered to switch my bookmarks over due to people trying to find some conspiracy with big bad Google company.

What about the whole cellphone craze where they apparently tracked your every location and people didn't like that? Or am I the only one that remembers this? I don't recall people throwing away their fancy smartphones over it. Maybe I'm just going crazy in my old age. ;_;

You mean this?

http://lifehacker.co...ow-to-remove-it

And this?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703983704576277101723453610.html

Ok guys, look. It is meant to track the download of malware, a worthy goal. But the fact that it tracks anything not on the whitelist means that it will be tracking a hell of a lot of not-malware. True, Google won't start suing people for pirating stuff, but how long do you think it'll take for some government agency to knock on googles door and say "hey, we heard you're tracking everybodies downloads. We just happen to have this warrant here..." and then the government has all that info.

How long?

Why wait?

Are there Firefox MLP skins? If not, I'll stick with chrome.

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/

Edited by Lucifer

I don't think you understand what free software is.

Proprietary software like Chrome keeps users divided and helpless. Divided because each user is forbidden to share with other people, and helpless because the users don't have the source code, so they can't change anything, they can't even tell what the program is really doing. There are 4 essential freedoms that the user of software should have at all times.

Freedom zero is the freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose.

Freedom one is the freedom to study the source code of the program and change it to do what you wish.

Freedom two is the freedom to help your neighbour. That's the freedom to make copies and distribute them to others, when you wish.

Freedom three is the freedom to help your community. That's the freedom to distribute or publish modified versions, when you wish.

I thought Chromium was the whole open-source Chrome thing, but maybe not. Not too sure how all that works. :P

Maybe I am just getting old and senile, but I'm stickin' with Chrome regardless. I've just grown too used to it now. :|

Edited by Demi

I thought Chromium was the whole open-source Chrome thing, but maybe not. Not too sure how all that works. :P

Maybe I am just getting old and senile, but I'm stickin' with Chrome regardless. I've just grown too used to it now. :|

Yes it is, doesn't make Chrome anymore free though.

I have always prefered Firefox so kind of a moot point for me, I think I'll tell some of my friends about it though. (on google+ no less :P )

How many of you use an antivirus program? Did you know that they compare every single file on your computer against the program vendor's own database? When Symantec, Kaspersky, ESET, or whatever your favourite AV software's vendor builds up a massive database of safe and unsafe files, their AV program is better able to identify threats. The more information they track and send back to their vendors, the better the program's detection rate gets.

Google are looking to simply provide a similar type of protection, totally for free, within their (awesome, I must say) browser - which is only limited to files you download through it, and doesn't bother with anything already on your computer. Also, their database is privately owned and the FBI, etc. would need to get a court order before Google actually gives up any information in it.

I don't understand the backlash - I hope that none of you who are dropping Chrome because of this use an antivirus program.

• Brohoof 1

How many of you use an antivirus program? Did you know that they compare every single file on your computer against the program vendor's own database?

People still use antivirus'?

There are far worse things than this. Like ACTA and TPP, SOPA and PIPA, which has governments try to take control of what we do on the internet. So far google hasn't abused my trust in them, and I really don't think this will be used for anything other than what it says. Data control like this will become more and more common, what we really need is a framework to prevent the collected data from being abused. But of course, with major factions in the music, film, medical and other industries lining politicians' pockets to push through their profit-based laws, things aren't looking good for our freedom of expression.

The recent debacle around SOPA/PIPA and now ACTA/TPP just goes to show how corrupt the system really is. Whether they are turned around by pressure from the people or pushed through regardless will go a long ways towards showing just how willing our rulers are to preserve our freedom and rights.

I will keep believing google won't abuse the data they collect. The development in society towards a controlled information stream is worrying though.

Edited by Iron_wofle
  • Brohoof 1

My new Firefox:

Oh cool, I switched to firefox as well...

I made my firefox look as much like chrome as I could, because I realised all I liked chrome for was its lay out.

Posted Image

Oh cool, I switched to firefox as well...

I made my firefox look as much like chrome as I could, because I realised all I liked chrome for was its lay out.

Cool.

I hate the add-on bar at the bottom and bookmark bar the the top.

Just kills my screen space.

Edited by Lucifer

People still use antivirus'?

I do! I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. Its ok to have something, even if you're mostly visitng safe websites, like me.

I used Chrome for a bit, but I keep goign back to Firefox. I'm just sticking with Firefox. Chrome is a great browser, but I just feel more at home with Firefox. Plus, foxes are cool., so that's a plus. I do like Chrome's layout better than Firefox though.

Cool.

I hate the add-on bar at the bottom and bookmar bar the the top.

Just kills my screen space.

Hmm...I might rearange the interface again, I also dislike the bottom bit.

Edited by TheAnnoyance.