Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pittsburgh basketball game marred by horrible racist banana suited monkey chants

Legit101

http://sports.yahoo....-131740578.html

For years this school team has had 3 guys dress up as bananas and run across the bleachers, years and years... against white teams.

But now... when it's a black team, it's 100% plain racism.

Just for clarification, no racial slurs were said.

I swear people can find racism in anything.

Edited by Tichonea
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

http://www.wpxi.com/...d-during/vF2Cp/

"monkeys and cotton pickers" are racial slur enough to me :/

A case of he said she said.

They've been doing the whole banana thing for years.

She says the fans were calling them monkeys and cotton pickers, thing is, you can't be sure. Other students and parents have said that it didn't happen.

Main point is that they're saying that the banana suits are racist even though they've been doing it to every team for years and years.

More extreme case of the same thing.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm30cepvMQA

Edited by Lucifer
  • Brohoof 1

Fair enough, there's no direct video evidence about the racial slur :huh:

But are you sure they've been doing this for years as some kind of tradition? Can;t find that anywhere in the article (or I just missed them totally)

Fair enough, there's no direct video evidence about the racial slur :huh:

But are you sure they've been doing this for years as some kind of tradition? Can;t find that anywhere in the article (or I just missed them totally)

Positive.

It's not on the article, because it's one sided.

Why do you think that the team didn't freak out about the guys in banana suits?

Because it's nothing new.

Hm... Because most of us won't freaked out if some madmare dancing crazy in front of our enemies?

It's a basketball game, Pittsburgh Brentwood(45) vs Monessen(59), I guess it's just normal to see a bunch of friendly crazies making fun of the opposing side. Not because it was a normal tradition.

Quoting a bit from this one: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/sports/s_780275.html

After the buzzer sounded for halftime, though, things took a disgusting turn.

Two or three members of the Brentwood student section donned full-body banana costumes and decided to run around the Greyhound players using racial slurs and referring to them as monkeys.

Being at the scorer's table, I couldn't hear every-thing that came from the student section. I didn't need to, though. I had heard enough.

Did Brentwood's Director of Security Joseph Kozarian do anything? No. At one point he was smiling and laughing with the entire student section.

Monessen's Chavas Rawlins was also intentionally shoved into wall and doors under the hoop while going in for a layup by Brentwood's Joe Pilarski.

The talented junior, who has a promising football career ahead of him, left the Monessen fans breathless as he held his knee in pain. He did return to the game a few minutes later.

I guess there's enough hate in that place Posted Image

If they'd been doing it for ages, claiming racism is just ridiculous...

Though what someone already said on this topic is true: You can find racism anywhere if you try hard enough. It's just how our culture has developed...

Im not even gonna begin to get worked up about this as the article is clearly one sided. Even if it was rasist, its just 3 school kids who have since been diciplined. Ive seen far worse things happen at my school... Its never become news before.

Took me about five minutes to realise how someone could even call that racist.

My view on racism is that its all about intention. Different people take things different ways but personally, as long as its just a bit of fun for everyone involved I don't have a problem with it.

Those people obviously weren't intending to discriminate, they were just having some fun and entertaining the crowd.

I think some people have forgotten how to interpret whether something is racist or whether it has nothing to do with race.

I found this post racist.

Lol j/k but I completely agree, the race card is one card that is quickly played very often.

"monkeys and cotton pickers" are racial slur enough to me :/

Cotton pickers is quite racist in my opinion. But as others have said, they never showed any racist comments in the video. Also the entire thing seems to be a one-sided dogmatic argument. :huh:

That's clearly not racist.

A friend of mine did an entire essay about white racism,

in the essay he included a story about school that started a black only club,

where yeah you guess it,

only black people could join,

other races began doing the same thing,

but when the whites made their white only clubs they were brought to court over a hate crime.

~

All my black friends told me they had never experienced racism against them,

but I have experienced racism against being white "We don't hang out with pasteys"

~

For some universities and colleges,

if you are native and black you require a lower average to get excepted then if you are white.

It's 2011 now, all races have equal rights,

and as long as your white, your racist !

~

• Brohoof 2

Freedom of speech is a two way street: if you say something which is unpopular, expect to hear the response. People often forget that and run behind the "LIEBERULS ARE MAKING AMERICA PC!!!" line. No. You said something stupid; people have a right to respond.

In this case, it doesn't matter if they've been dressing students up as bananas since the school's foundation: if you are playing a team of predominantly African-American players, what type of response are you expecting? It's racially and culturally tone deaf, and it escapes me how anyone could have allowed this at an administrative level. It would be like dressing up as pigs and oinking in front of a Jewish team. Think before you leap.

There is a wide gulf between this incident and petty racism claims.

A case of he said she said.

They've been doing the whole banana thing for years.

She says the fans were calling them monkeys and cotton pickers, thing is, you can't be sure. Other students and parents have said that it didn't happen.

Main point is that they're saying that the banana suits are racist even though they've been doing it to every team for years and years.

http-~~-//www.youtube.c...h?v=Rm30cepvMQA

That's Fox News. They're about as reliable a news source as The Onion.

Accusations of racism because people haven't learned to just relate on a human level for some reason yet.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutCFMc5khY

• Brohoof 1

http://sports.yahoo....-131740578.html

For years this school team has had 3 guys dress up as bananas and run across the bleachers, years and years... against white teams.

But now... when it's a black team, it's 100% plain racism.

I swear people can find racism in anything.

Racism at a sports event? Wow, what a surprise.

This, my friends, is the classic display of the age old Double Standerd!

Where it is completely acceptable for one person to do it, but if someone else does it, then prepare your fire and holy water!

Woah, talk about media bias. Isn't the media supposed to report things? Reminds me exactly of the early 1900s reporters who would hate against blacks, though this is turned around. I would say the writer be fired, but I guess he's a blogger?